Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After the hot rod power tour
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jaiden
So what do you think? After seeing all of those cars and taking a ride in a few. Man they cruise so much nicer than the teener.

They sure don't turn as well but man just the feeling of the heavier chassis and the torque almost has me convinced.

I do alot more cruizin then I do Autox (none so far)

What would you do?
brant
follow your passion...

(i know mine will always be handling over brute power, and outhandling big cars on a race track over going straight)

but to each his own.
give it a try!

brant
skline
I have done both most of my life, the last car I had was a 67 Chevelle with a 383 full roller motor. It was the first car I ever built and drove that would lift the front end off the ground. It was nice but the 914's can be built to go pretty fast too and they handle so much better. It is all in what you really like to do and play with. In reality, the 914 was actually faster than the Chevelle, it had a 4:10 posi and would max out around 90 or so at redline but it was there really quick. The 914's will go faster but they take longer to get there. Unless of course you put a V8 in or a STI motor in your teener.
Borderline
agree.gif Yeah go with what ya love. I had been away from sporty cars for a time and now I really enjoy the teener. New cars are so big and heavy, they can't respond like an light weight mid-engine teener. I will say that its not my favorite for cruising on the freeway. Its all about going around corners!
nomore9one4
My last muscle car was a 73 mustang mach 1. I have had several other year mustangs. A few 390 thunderbirds(presently a 63') and we have a 62' ford galaxie 500 convertable. They are and always will be a blast to drive. My next one will be a 50's streetrod pickup biggrin.gif driving.gif but there is always room in the garage for a 914
turbo914v8
Through a V8 into your 914. Best of both worlds. Problem solved.
shelby/914
Just Bite the Bullet and do both, Ya can't have too many toys. Im currently playing with a '76 914 but have '66 fairlane 500XL convert and a '66 GT-350 tucked away in the garage. They'r all fun, just in a different way.
jasons
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Jun 14 2006, 08:14 AM) *

... '76 914 but have ... and a '66 GT-350 tucked away in the garage.

Com'on these aren't even in the same leaugue. I would trade everything I own 914, hell make that Porsche, Ok no make that every worldly posession I have short of my house, to own a 66 GT350!

BTW, one of my buddys had a 67 fairlane and I have always wanted one since. Those cars just look like business.
Gint
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

smile.gif
Howard
I'm sorry, was there a question in here?
So.Cal.914
In the late 70's I had a 1967 Pontiac GTO, 400 H.O. (400hp) B&M turbo 400 trans

12 bolt posi rearend with 411's. Ran 11.57 114.50 in the 1/4 mi., and got a little

over 4 (four) miles to the gallon. I love my 914.
mikelsr
My last muscle car was a purple '71 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 Mag and slap stick (wish I still had it). If you want to A/X one you will have a lot of work to do on the suspension (if we are talking about the old muscle cars).

I watch a series called "Sports Car Revolution" (on speed IIRC) where they took an old muscle car and modified it to run well on a track. It took a lot of time and $$ to get it handle well.

Follow your heart and passion just remember they all cost $$.

Mike
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Howard @ Jun 14 2006, 07:39 AM) *

agree.gif
bondo
I agree with the "both" statements. I have a 67 mustang which I will keep forever. But I will also always have a 914. They are very different cars that are fun to drive in very different ways.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 14 2006, 08:58 AM) *

agree.gif

Pic's
Steve Thacker
QUOTE(Howard @ Jun 14 2006, 11:39 AM) *

I just got a stiffy biggrin.gif
zymurgist
It all depends on what's in your budget (and what's in your heart). I'll probably never sell my Corvette... massive torque available in any gear (although it only has 4 speeds smile.gif ) combined with a proper rebuild of the steering gear, brakes, and suspension, makes for a fine handling car that is also very cruisable.

When I had Babydoll ('74 2.0), I would take her out for short shopping trips and long drives. The driving experience is completely different, because you're not tossing 3200 pounds from curve to curve. IMO, driving a 914 well requires a little bit of finesse.

I'll say one thing... a 914 gets way better gas mileage than a classic musclecar!
ninefourteener
I've been in the same boat for awhile now.... so I feel your pain.

My roots are in 70's GM cars....... particularly Trans Ams. My last one... a 77, I bought it from the original owner, with 23000 original miles. I kept it 4 years, and sold it in 2002 for almost $11000.

Why? To pay my divorce lawyer.

It was the 7th T/A that I've owned/restored/hotrodded/maintained. You can add an ElCamino, a Z28, a couple Cutlasses, and a few others to my "previously owned" list.

I miss Air Conditioning. I miss brute torque (although I do have the 06 WRX now)... and I miss "easy" maintenance, and easy/cheap parts. Plus, when I bought the 914, it was just my daughter and I.... now, there's a wife in the picture..... I can't take them both with me... and they both bitch that it's too hot when I do--LOL

I love the 914, and I love 77 and 78 Trans Ams. I can't have both.... so basically I have to choose. If someone were to offer me a good price on the 914.... I'd consider it. If I had a T/A already in mind... I'd consider it more. Right now...... I'm pretty happy just cruising in an unconventional car ohmy.gif)

Your choice..... do what you love... the GAS is definately going to hurt your wallet though. I can cruise for a couple hours on $10 in the 914. $10.00 in a muscle car? Well, you do the math.

Best of luck... whatever you decide to do.
Jaiden
I love the teener, I really do it has this aura about it especially when you hit the twisty backroads.

I think my main reason for wanting to move from the teener to a musclecar is that I have more opertunity to cruize with a car then to push a car to it's handling limits.

When the wife is in the teener she likes it because the top is off like a convertable. She hates it because of the noise of the engine and the lack of comfort heat/ac. The noise of a V8 doesn't seem to bother her though she likes the rumble!!!

I too have become slightly tired of the exhaust note since I have a small leak that creates decel pops.

And finally the amount of money that it takes to bring these cars back to there glory is out of hand. For the price of a 4 rebuild you can buy a crate engine and there is probable 10 companies that make the replacement seals for door and windows not to mention chrome, body panels, trannies and wheel selection.

I put like $700 into my front suspension and another 500 into the front brakes and pedal assembly. and that's to keep it stock 4 lug. Don't even talk about finding CV joints!

I'm going to get the teener out of the garage this weekend and take a long drive and really think about what to do.

Oh and the brother in law has a 76 corvette that he'll sell to me for $7500 which only pushes me more to go musclecar!!!
turboman808
Got to drive what you want to. I can see that just for cruising around a 914 is not a really good choice.

Of course there is no reason not to have more then one car.
byndbad914
truly a dilemma for a few of us apparently biggrin.gif Last muscle car I had was a Calypso Coral (Greek for Dark Orange) 70 Mustang Grabber Sportsroof with a built 302/C4/4.11s and drove it daily at about 8mpg and drag raced it all the time. Man I loved that car - sold it to pay for college, which of course was a wiser investment. Miss that car tho'

Funny, but when gas had "shot up" to $1.75/gal for supreme back in the mid-90s, it got to where I could buy another car and pay for insurance in the gas money savings. Along the way I ended up with a 914.

I went apeshit with the car as you may know - 525HP V8 and a tube chassis in the works. That matches all the worlds for me at this point as I seriously wanted a road race car, and the setup is near optimal for that.

However, if I were a cruising man, I would have BOTH. Just like your wife, my fiancee loves the 914 "because the roof comes off". She hated the Mustang, but it had no creature comforts whatsoever. I loved it. So I would have a cheapie 914 you can throw an equally cheap paint job on and some Fuchs for sunny days, and the beastly muscle car for the real cruising.

I will own a 70 fastback again, I promise you that!
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 14 2006, 08:58 AM) *

[Picture of Porsche 8-cylinder shoe-horned in 914 engine bay]
agree.gif

My pubic area just did this: barf.gif <-- not negative, just a visual biggrin.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Jaiden @ Jun 14 2006, 12:16 PM) *
And finally the amount of money that it takes to bring these cars back to there glory is out of hand. For the price of a 4 rebuild you can buy a crate engine and there is probable 10 companies that make the replacement seals for door and windows not to mention chrome, body panels, trannies and wheel selection.

I put like $700 into my front suspension and another 500 into the front brakes and pedal assembly. and that's to keep it stock 4 lug. Don't even talk about finding CV joints!...

Welcome to the world of Fine Sports Cars and the name "Porsche". I like the fact there aren't many 914's out there; they stand out. It's the price of admission I guess.
turboman808
HAHA and if you do get a muscle car at least get a AMC

Rebel or AMX
Dr. Roger
Jaiden,

I had to ask myself these questions....

1. what layout provides the best handling car? mid engine.
2. what weight provides the best MPH and handling? light weight.
3. can i get replacement parts cheap? preferrably.
4. reliability is a must. is it possible with my choice?
5. can i build a quick/fast combo? with the flipped H gear 901, "yes".
6. can it cruise the highways at low RPM's? with the flipped h gear solution, yes.
7. will it provide the "pucker" factor? think sphinkter.... =-)

A V8 914 provides all of this if it's built right.

I'd look up one of your local V8 914 owners for a QUICK test spin, then make your decision. My first ride was memorable to say the least.

a year and a half later I'm driving my own. happy11.gif
BKLA
Ask Craig -

He has both hot rods AND Porsches biggrin.gif

go with what brings you the most joy!

I love my teener, but it is a weekend car.

I still get a kick in the pants and a smile on my face when I drive my mini - however, my driver's license and insurance payments were happier BEFORE the mini owned.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jun 14 2006, 04:09 PM) *

HAHA and if you do get a muscle car at least get a AMC

Rebel or AMX

Yeah, if you like scrounging for unobtainable 914 parts, you'll feel right at home in the AMC world.

/i keed, i keed
black73
I was thinking the same thing a couple of years ago. Ended up keeping the 914 and buying a '66 mustang. Now I have the best of both worlds! smilie_pokal.gif
Brew
I agree, one (at least!) of each!!

I dont think I'll ever sell my 67, but I dont think I'll ever drive it as much as the 914.

You've been on the PowerTour, and got a taste of the musclecar world. Do yourself a favor and drive at some sort of track event, whether it be DE or AX, before you decide to write off the lightweight sportscar!
byndbad914
QUOTE(Brew @ Jun 14 2006, 03:48 PM) *

I dont think I'll ever sell my 67, but I dont think I'll ever drive it as much as the 914.

So that starts a game of guess that engine... what is that? Going out on a limb, but I am guessing Poncho 389 tri-power.... how far off am I? biggrin.gif
boxstr
I would say you are absolutely correct on the motor.
CCLINLITTLEGTO
RustyWa
QUOTE(mikelsr @ Jun 14 2006, 08:52 AM) *

My last muscle car was a purple '71 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 Mag and slap stick (wish I still had it). If you want to A/X one you will have a lot of work to do on the suspension (if we are talking about the old muscle cars).

Heard this rumbling outside my house the other day. It is one of the neighbor's rides. The photo does not due the paint or car justice. He also has a gorgeous mid '60s corvette convertable to go with it. Must be nice.

Oh yea, to make things even worse...I shouldn't forget his HOT wife. rocking nana.gif
Grngoat
[/quote]
So that starts a game of guess that engine... what is that? Going out on a limb, but I am guessing Poncho 389 tri-power.... how far off am I? biggrin.gif
[/quote]

Nope, that should be a 400 if it's a '67. So you're only .040" off. In bore size that is. 66 was the last year for the 389 and for tri-power, but many like to put the tri-power on later cars. For obvious reasons.

But to the original question. I vote both. I couldn't stand to sell either my GTO or my 914, unless it was for a very good reason. I've got a two car garage, everything else can park outside. As for costs, parts may be cheaper for musclecars, but I would think that the original purchase price is much higher for anything considered desireable. Of course you may desire something that isn't desireable to the mainstream. That always helps. You can get a really smoking nice 914-4 for 10k, right? That won't get you much in the way of GTOs, SS Chevelles, anything with a Hemi, etc. these days.

But get what you want, if 914s don't float your boat anymore, I'm sure somebody would love to give it a good home.

Andyrew
Primer black 914.. Big fenders, Big meats, Black wheels, Super loud, No engine bay, Open hood (rad exposes)

I get JUST as much looks and nods as the rat rods and muscle guys...
especially at shows, and driving home from a show...

Talk about fun!!!
Brew

[/quote]
[/quote]

Close!! It's actually a .060 over 428 block with a 455 crank, making it a 462 (9.5:1 CR) with a 65 tripower. Supposed to be good for just a tad over 500 lb. ft.
brant
John,

how valuable are the 428 blocks.
grandma's old bonneville had one and when we sold it people were going ape about it and asking to buy just the motor.

are they pretty valuable?

brant
Joe Ricard
My new muscle car has got to be the 25th anniversary Trans am
Father in law bought one new in 1988. his serial is low 200.

Freaking fast car and corners pretty good with new tires. Kinda ugly though (like a 914)
zymurgist
Is that the one with the front end that looks like a baboon nose?
Brew
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 15 2006, 07:35 AM) *

John,

how valuable are the 428 blocks.
grandma's old bonneville had one and when we sold it people were going ape about it and asking to buy just the motor.

are they pretty valuable?

brant

They're pretty valuable engines, cuz they're fairly rare (only made 67-69), and can be built to make big horsepower at a higher RPM than a typical 455, as it's an oversquare design. They're also pre-drilled for 4 bolt main caps, and are said to have a higher nickle content, making them stronger than the later castings.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Brew @ Jun 15 2006, 08:21 AM) *

Close!! It's actually a .060 over 428 block with a 455 crank, making it a 462 (9.5:1 CR) with a 65 tripower. Supposed to be good for just a tad over 500 lb. ft.

Hah, close huh? That is about as close as "nice 914, is that a stock 1.7L?". "Close, it's a 2.0L bored and stroked by Jake Raby." I got the Poncho and tri-power right happy11.gif Sounds like a cool setup. I didn't even notice the "67" model year when I read thru the post apparently too quickly (the picture kinda took my focus!)

When I was 16, a guy had a 67 with a 428 in it and I wanted to buy it. Yet another car my dad refused to let me buy... my money I had earned working summers, but had to live under his roof mad.gif Probably smart though, I woulda wrapped it around a tree at 120mph... burnout.gif Got an overall shot of the car?
Brew
It's under construction, and honestly doesnt look nearly as good as the picture suggests. But I love it anyway.
Grngoat
462. Nice. The red one is a LeMans, right? Gotta love the convertible. I never had one till my 914. I love it. My top is never on. The car in your avatar is a 68 GTO that you own too, right? That's a nice collection.
Brew
Right on both counts, and thanks!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.