Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found a local Bug shop - interesting twist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass
The FLAPS I've been frequenting turned me on to a local Bug shop called "TAG Industries/Beetle Craft" owned by a Tom Galvin. Drove by last night (it's about a 2 miles from my house) and saw a familiar looking silhouette under a car cover. I gave them a call this morning to feel them out.

Turns out the covered car is a Ford V8 powered Chalon 914 and is the owner's toy. He's owned and worked on several 914s over the years.

I dropped an email to Brad Mayeur to see if he's heard of Tom. If any of you VW guys know of him, or know where I may be able to dig up some references, let me know. I will also try to lure him here to the club if I can.

Maybe some overdue good luck has come my way.

skline
Try to get some pictures of his car too. I would be really interested to see it and not just because I like the Chalon's but because it is Ford powered. That might interest others on here as well.
jd74914
agree.gif

Its the Ford power thats interesting. Any idea what it has for an engine (302FI, 289 etc)
BigDBass
I'm heading there in a little while with one hand on my digital camera and the other on my handbrake. Not sure who's gonna steer or shift confused24.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 16 2006, 05:46 AM) *

I'm heading there in a little while with one hand on my digital camera and the other on my handbrake. Not sure who's gonna steer or shift confused24.gif

Hand brake? ohmy.gif Dude, your scaring me! huh.gif
BigDBass

"just in case" .. the brakes, while soft as hell, work, but it may use up a bit of brake fluid on the way sad.gif
1bad914
No biggie, in my youth I drove a beetle with no brakes, all I had was the e-brake. I was a poor college student and could not afford the brakes. It made for some interesting driving.

I also want to see this Ford 914!
BigDBass
Just got back. Nice guy, nice place. He may end up my new best friend and ultimately cost me a lot of $...

I saw his 914. He's had it 20 years or so. He went from stock to a 916 kit, then the Chalon.
Click to view attachment

He had a poster with specs and pics but I didn't take notes. tongue.gif

From what I remember suspension is bils in front, konis in back, front and rear swaybars, turbo tie rods and bump steer kits. Don't remember rear springs size.

Tires were 225 front and 245 rear IIRC.

Engine is a 289cc Ford V8. Or was it 389cc? Either from 1960 or 1970.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Trans is a tailshift 901, with a reinforcement plate (?). He has a sideshift 901 sitting there that he plans to put in with a $500 Weltmeister plate (?) He also has a 915 trans sitting there but he's not installing it cuz "it would cost too much".
BigDBass
What model is the center console from? CF inserts in dash etc were a nice touch. There was a big fuzzy carpeted hump in the backpad between the seas. I thought I had a pic but I guess not. I suppose it was necessary to make room for something.

Click to view attachment

The rear spoiler is A.I.R. I think he said. The front hood was custom fabricated, and the louvers(sp?) were apparently a PITA.

Click to view attachment

The rest of the body mods are Chalon. I liked the flared fenders, but the slope nose doesn't do it for me personally.

Click to view attachment

It was all very well done tho to my eyes, and he did the entire project himself.
Mueller
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 16 2006, 09:12 AM) *

Just got back. Nice guy, nice place. He may end up my new best friend and ultimately cost me a lot of $...

I saw his 914. He's had it 20 years or so. He went from stock to a 916 kit, then the Chalon.
Click to view attachment

Engine is a 289cc Ford V8. Or was it 389cc? Either from 1960 or 1970.

Trans is a tailshift 901, with a reinforcement plate (?). He has a sideshift 901 sitting there that he plans to put in with a $500 Weltmeister plate (?) He also has a 915 trans sitting there but he's not installing it cuz "it would cost too much".

cool find...

motor would be a 289 (older version of the 5.0)

reinforcement plate (?) = adapter plate (this how one bolts a V8 to a Porsche transmission)

$500 Weltmeister plate (?) = sounds like the billet intermediate plate

jd74914
A 289 would be the reason for the buldge IIRC. 289's have the dizzy in the front, right?
Brad Roberts
Correct JD on the dizzy (which is why we use SBC's instead of SBF's)

The dual element air cleaner *should* GO! (my opinion)

B
BigDBass
When I went back, he said it's a detuned Cobra motor if that means anything. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.