Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Looking For Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grump
Been looking for one for about 6 weeks and getting real gunshy. Rust is the main culprit. This yellow 72 on ebay doesn't look too bad but will someone take a look at the bottom left picture. I'm not sure what it supports but looks like it has some rust holes. Can this be patched or replaced easily? Any advice will be appreciated...Tks
drewvw

give us a link.....also helpful to provide your location as well.
rhodyguy
what's the auction item #?

k
Mueller
QUOTE(Grump @ Jun 14 2006, 09:49 AM) *

Been looking for one for about 6 weeks and getting real gunshy. Rust is the main culprit. This yellow 72 on ebay doesn't look too bad but will someone take a look at the bottom left picture. I'm not sure what it supports but looks like it has some rust holes. Can this be patched or replaced easily? Any advice will be appreciated...Tks

that is the front trunk area, it helps support the front suspension...
to properly fix that, cutting and welding should be done, it wouldn't be cheap or easy...it could be half-@ss patched together which happens more often than not....as of now the price is decent, I wouldn't pay too much more since there are too many unknowns with the car without seeing it in person...
Allan
Here is the link and that is the passenger side of the tub where the front of the a-arm bolts up.

Gonna need some additional rust repair as it kinda looks like it's had some in the past.

You're too fast Mike...
rhodyguy
my advice is keep looking. pretty paint in the pictures. that control arm attachment point repair is not an easy fix, done properly (imho). the rust shown could be the tip of the iceberg. be careful.

k
dinomium
depending on where the car lived, I would exspect the hellhole, longs and floors to be at least as bad as the a-arm connection area. I bet the aft trunk is n't the best either...

Keep looking unless you feel the urge to learn welding and fabercation from the Mueller Tech school of 914 restoration!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.