Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for the best route to SLC for WCC06
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
I am going to up in the White Mountains with my family prior to heading out to WCC so I am just going to leave from there. I will be in Pinetop/Lakeside which is south of Holbrooke in the NE part of the state. My options are basically this:

1 - Take 40 west to Flagstaff, then up 89 through Page, to 70. 70 to 15 then all the way in.

OR

2 - Take 40 east to 191. North to 70 then back on 191/6 on into Provo then the 15 into SLC.

Anyone ever made either of these drives? Looking for the easiest/quickest drive. I don't care about scenery for this trip. It's long enough as-is.
michel richard
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 14 2006, 08:51 AM) *

I am going to up in the White Mountains with my family prior to heading out to WCC so I am just going to leave from there. I will be in Pinetop/Lakeside which is south of Holbrooke in the NE part of the state. My options are basically this:

1 - Take 40 west to Flagstaff, then up 89 through Page, to 70. 70 to 15 then all the way in.

OR

2 - Take 40 east to 191. North to 70 then back on 191/6 on into Provo then the 15 into SLC.

Anyone ever made either of these drives? Looking for the easiest/quickest drive. I don't care about scenery for this trip. It's long enough as-is.

Please, guys.

What does SLC stand for ?

Thx.

jasons
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 14 2006, 09:51 AM) *

OR

I can't tell you which way you should go. I would suggest taking the route that is the best for breaking down. Not that you will or I am a pessimist or anything. I just wouldn't want to breakdown in some of the remote parts of the four corners.
MoveQik
QUOTE(michel richard @ Jun 14 2006, 10:11 AM) *

Please, guys.

Thx.

Salt Lake City
MoveQik
QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 14 2006, 10:15 AM) *

I can't tell you which way you should go. I would suggest taking the route that is the best for breaking down. Not that you will or I am a pessimist or anything. I just wouldn't want to breakdown in some of the remote parts of the four corners.

dry.gif idea.gif
olav

OR

Please, guys.

Thx.

Salt Lake City
jasons
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 14 2006, 10:17 AM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 14 2006, 10:15 AM) *

dry.gif idea.gif

Yeah, I know.... ph34r.gif Its just miles of nothing. I have driven to Durango multiple times through there.
MoveQik
QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 14 2006, 10:23 AM) *

Yeah, I know.... ph34r.gif Its just miles of nothing. I have driven to Durango multiple times through there.

I assume you mean via the 191...
jasons
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 14 2006, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 14 2006, 10:23 AM) *

I assume you mean via the 191...

Reviewing the AZ map.... I used to go Flag 89 to 160 sometimes to 163. I can't speak for 191. When you went to RRC you must have driven that route?
MoveQik
QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 14 2006, 10:33 AM) *

Reviewing the AZ map.... I used to go Flag 89 to 160 sometimes to 163. I can't speak for 191. When you went to RRC you must have driven that route?

We went like you just described. 89 to 160.

I was mainly asking as I haven't been beyond the Grand Canyon on 89.
jasons
QUOTE(MW 914 @ Jun 14 2006, 10:35 AM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Jun 14 2006, 10:33 AM) *

We went like you just described. 89 to 160.

I was mainly asking as I haven't been beyond the Grand Canyon on 89.

Yeah, me neither. I would probably look on a map and see which route has the most towns along it. I would guess 89 becuase it is more of a major highway. Do you have AAA? They might be able to give you a good suggestion.
michel richard
QUOTE(olav @ Jun 14 2006, 09:17 AM) *

OR

Please, guys.

Thx.

Salt Lake City

cool
TravisNeff
611 miles if you do the 191 route, or 634 if you route through flagstaff. I would suggest flagstaff i-15 route just in case of breakdowns.
Flat VW
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 14 2006, 10:57 AM) *

611 miles if you do the 191 route, or 634 if you route through flagstaff. I would suggest flagstaff i-15 route just in case of breakdowns.

Don't be a p*ssy! cheer.gif

Backroad it dude!

John wavey.gif
Flat VW
Mikeee's sleepin.....

icon_bump.gif
Eric_Shea
I've done it a couple times.

Flagstaff/Page/Panguitch (89) to I-15. Good roads. Watch for reservation cops.
ThinAir
I've done 191 recently from Utah all the way south to St. John's. It's a perfectly fine road and it's interesting to see the scenery if you've never been that way, but it's not terribly fast.

Since you are are coming from Pinetop-Lakeside you end up going to Holbrook no matter which way you go. The distance from there to either 89 or 191 is virtually the same so I'd go to Flagstaff and take 89 north.

Our typical route when we head for Montana is 89 through Page & Kanab. We either cut over to I-15 on Utah-20 or we stay on 89 until we get to I-70 and take that west to I-15. You'll be fine with the route and make pretty good time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.