Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 in Progress..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cobra94563
I'm transferring conversion parts from a unfinished project, looks like a older renegade engine mount, alternator bracket and water pump w/slide bracket.

I've seen many V8's are set up with the waterpump on the drivers side, but the parts I have were installed (and fit) with the water pump on the passenger side.

The parts look interchangable. Any disadvantage or problem with keeping the WP on the passenger side and the alternator on the driver's side?

Thanks.

biggrin.gif

Dr. Roger
i prefer to put the alternator on the passenger side as it is closest to the batter, which makes a shorter charging lead to the battery.

vasser pump could go either way IMHO.

im in hercules, ca. btw... =-)
orinda?

roger
andys
I believe Desert Hybrids mounts their WP's on the passenger side.

Andys
Brad Roberts
I have ran them both ways.

I take the alternator chargeback wire to the starter terminal like a stock 914 does when I mount it on the drivers side. Makes for one heavy wire going to the battery instead of a chargeback wire and the starter wire.

I also recall making the decision based on the inlet and outlet of the radiator I was going to use. I didnt want the water lines "crossing over" anywhere during the run from front to back. This determined which side the pump went on.

B
skline
Mine is mounted on the passenger side and the alternator is on the drivers side. I think if I had it to do over, I would have switched them but its already done now and works just fine.
cobra94563
Thanks for all the input!

It really helps to hear your experiences and not have a "I shoulda done..." later after the fact. If it can really work either way, I'll probably stick with the WP on the passenger side so the lines don't have to cross. Alternator wire can go to the starter or I'll get a fatter gauge.

Hey Roger - I'm in Orinda, but I use to live in Pinole. Still get over there every so often. Maybe someday in a 914. smash.gif driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.