Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can I lower the rear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
I finally got my 73 back on the street and it looks like the rear could come down and inch or so. I am using 160 pound progressive springs and was wondering if I changed to 140 pound springs, would they bring the ride height down some? I'm not ready to get adjustable perch springs yet. This is just a road car. No racing or auto X just yet. I did a search of the classic posts about suspension but couldn't find the info I needed.
Cheers, Elliot
Scott Carlberg
Wouldn't 140lb springs actually raise the back end?

Aren't most cars that are lower in the back, fitted with 140 or more rear springs?
Brad Roberts
Stock is under 100lbs.

If you have KYB's/Koni's/Boges... you wont be lowering your car. Only the Bisltein gives you enough options to raise or lower the car with Welt springs. The Koni's have an adjustable clip.. but it still doesnt go low enough to get the car out of 4 wheel drive mode.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. 140's will only raise the car if the stock springs where SHOT..

B
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
So then the only way to lower the rear is with a shock with adjustable spring perches? Maybe I should raise the front?
Cheers, Elliot
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 1 2003, 09:29 AM)
So then the only way to lower the rear is with a shock with adjustable spring perches?

of course not; but it is the easy way.

coil springs can be made in just about any rate and installed height you want. if you know what you want, there are places that will make springs for you all day long.

the race-car way is to raise the suspension pickup (console) at the firewall. lowers the car, retains full suspension travel. not trivial, instantly puts the car in highly modified competition classes in most sanctioning bodies.

a fair old amount of lowering is available by the use of smaller wheels and low-profile tires - which also retain full suspension travel.

off-the-shelf Bilsteins come with spring perch locating notches every cm or so over a 4 or 5 inch range; that's still a pretty coarse adjustment and not adequate for something like corner weighting. if you're just looking for a visually pleasing rake, it could be just the ticket. there are threaded perches that can get you exactly any height you like.

because most people going to stiffer springs are also looking for lowering (and to some extent - if you are reducing the suspension travel, you must increase the rate...) aftermarket stiffer springs tend to have shorter installed heights. or shorter springs tend to be stiffer, pick a way of looking at it you like... but there's a limit at how much of this you can get away with without changing the perch location ...
dbelleperc
This is the way to lower the rear of the 914. And Bilstein also offers a Shock with a clip that you can lower the spring like a coil over about 2 1/2 inches.
Jeff Bonanno
David,

where were you for the avatar competition?! ohmy.gif
Elliot_Cannon
Thanks to all,
I think I have an idea now what it's going to take to lower the back. Maybe I'll just heat the coil springs like we used to do back in the 50s and 60s. LOL. Thanks for the pic. David. It took me awhile to trear myself away from your Avatar. I'm just a lesbian trapped in a mans body!
Cheers, Elliot
Elliot_Cannon
Hi,
David I forgot to ask. Where the adjustable spring perches from Coleman Racing?
If not where did they come from?
Cheers, Elliot
redshift
http://www.paragon-products.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.