Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another flair question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
I know its like boxers or briefs...

All the threads I have looked at show the fiberglass flair mounted over the sheet metal.

Why not mount it under? It looks like less blending will have to be done.

am I missing something?
fitsbain
The shape is all wrong to install from the bottom. Would have to cut lots of the fander to get it to sit right.
Joe Ricard
I suppose you could if you think mounting on top like it was designed is TOO easy.

Dr. Roger
hey crash,

check my thread HERE.

it's titled, "Sheridan fender fitment questions v.1.0, =-)"

cheers,
roger

bill and bynbad gave some great advice and pics... THANKS!
Dr. Roger
another thread but a little more monotinous. <spelling?>
here

some say rivet it baby!!!

IPB Image
bob91403
Personally, I'd never add fiberglass flares to metal fenders. Either metal to metal, or, remove the fenders completely, and add complete fiberglass flared fenders from Rennsport. A lot less work, cuts weight, won't separate. And, if done correctly, you could sell your original fenders to someone who needs them, rather than cutting them up. Would end up costing less, and help some other 914 stay on the road. thumb3d.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 14 2006, 02:38 PM) *

Personally, I'd never add fiberglass flares to metal fenders. Either metal to metal, or, remove the fenders completely, and add complete fiberglass flared fenders from Rennsport. A lot less work, cuts weight, won't separate. And, if done correctly, you could sell your original fenders to someone who needs them, rather than cutting them up. Would end up costing less, and help some other 914 stay on the road. thumb3d.gif

have you ever removed the 100+ spot welds to completely remove a fender??

once fender is completely gone where do you attach the new glass fender? (of course new brackets can be fabbed, but most 'glass fenders are not designed to completly replace the entire fender, only part of it...

as for the anti-'glass crowd, there are many installs that have been running for 10+ years with V8's or high strung /6 motors with no signs of seperation or pitfalls....

Crash.....in order to install the flare from the inside of the fender, one would have to a near perfect cut, too much steel removed and you'll have a huge gap, not enough material removed and the flare won't be flush to the fender....way, way too much work and trial and error...

jimtab
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 14 2006, 02:28 PM) *

another thread but a little more monotinous. <spelling?>
here

some say rivet it baby!!!

IPB Image

OMG that car is beautiful...it makes me wet....Roger is that one of yours.... wub.gif
VaccaRabite
I love the riveted look for fender flare. If I ever flare mine, that is how I intend to go.

Zach
So.Cal.914
Plus if you put it on the inside it would cut down on the well area and would not

accept as wide a tire and rim. What would be the point? huh.gif
drive-ability
Where do you guys get the Sheridan body kits? smash.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 14 2006, 08:28 PM) *

Where do you guys get the Sheridan body kits? smash.gif

ultimate914.com
crash914
the reason behind the question....I don't need that much room for a wider tire... Saving 1/2 inch in width would be ok.

My current fenders are shot. many blows with a 5 # sledge to make clearance for my 8.5" wheels... so no loss there.

It just looks like they would fit inside without too many issues...

besides, I like doing it the hard way..

Its time to take the car off the road for a few days, new shorter cylinder shims, new push rods, seal up my oil leak, install flairs, install new header...the list is endless....
Joe Ricard
8.5" rims and big tires need ALL the fender you can get.
my Hoosiers have 1/2" outside and 1" inside with -1 degree camber.

Oh yea section width is 11.5"
and rivets rock mueba.gif
Pompano Beach 914V8
I assume that what you are trying to acheive is a smooth trasition from flair to fender with the least possible work. I attached a Sheridan kit (with the help of a body man....a good one...) by using a two part adhesive. After it was glued on, the fiberglass was tapered into the existing fender and then finished with quality filler.

BTW this adhesive is strong stuff, I mean really strong stuff. The body guy droppped a glob on the concrete floor when he was gluing the flairs and didn't realize it. When this stuff was set he tried to chip it off and it ripped up a hunk of concrete! This junk is stronger than the steel or the fiberglass!

You are going to have to blend no matter whether the fiberglass is on the inside or the outside, so you might as well glue it on the outside (the way it was designed) and blend it.
crash914
I love the big duct tape tire look....

what happens to the 100 mph tape if you exceed 100 mph?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.