Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where can I find a Garage workspace?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
highways
So I'm looking for some advice.. or even some help.

The rear trailing arm dog ear suspension mount on my 73' rusted and broke a couple years ago. Now I have a donner car lined up and some time coming up to do the work on my original 914. My problem is I live in a guest house in West LA and I don't have any garage space where I can work. I do have a driveway where I can handle one car at a time, but not two.

So I've been searching for a 'garage workspace' that I could possibly rent for 1-2 months but I simply can't find anything. Where does one find a garage to rent? Am I not looking in the right places? Or here's a totally different question; does someone nearby have some space I could use temporarily for this possible engine swap/ or/ rear suspension console weld job? The rest of the maintenance I can do back at my place once the car rolls again. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.... I'm stuck in the overcrowded Westside where you can't even find parking for a new car with dealer stickers. It's crazy!
bottomend
If I had the sapce I'd help in a heartbeat but I'm sorta in the same boat. I live in Echo Park. If you need help with the engine pull ect gimme a shout. Also, I know a good welder too.

Later!
highways
thumb3d.gif icon_bump.gif smilie_wirdgut.gif That sounds awsome sawzall-smiley.gif

I'm in Santa Monica. My car used to be nice... Dad was the second owner after Ernie Ball (who had a collection and never drove the thing). But rust snuck up under suspension console and I was financially unable to repair it. But now the summer goal is to get this one driving again. welder.gif (Is sent you a PM)
BigDBass
QUOTE(highways @ Jun 15 2006, 01:12 PM) *

Dad was the second owner after Ernie Ball (who had a collection and never drove the thing).

Ernie Ball as in Musicman guitars and basses?
Brad Roberts
I *hope* you dont plan to cut off a old rusty ear and replace it with a 30y.o rusted from the inside out ear??

The new ones are not that expensive.

Bottom line: dumb to replace the ear with a old piece. You are wasting your time. They all fail the same way (battery acid on the inside of the ear)

B
gary gartner
Highways--
have you checked local self-storage places ?????
they often have garage sized, secure spaces for rent--
Just a thought
Tobra
QUOTE(gary gartner @ Jun 15 2006, 12:00 PM) *

Highways--
have you checked local self-storage places ?????
they often have garage sized, secure spaces for rent--
Just a thought

+1

PO of my car has a large storage unit, had a few Daytona Chargers, 914's, numerous engine, tranny and other things in there, did a lot of work on the cars there. I would not mention my intentions when renting the space
proto31
biggrin.gif Your "donner" car seems like it's actually going to live up to it's name- that is if you decide to canabalize it for use on your broken car. By the way, why is your user name 'highways," I've seen your car, it's always sitting on the driveway. It hasn't seen a highway in 5 years!! bootyshake.gif I do have a neighbor that might be willing to let you use some space, the only problem is that it's gonna cost you sheeplove.gif Apparently he has a thing for men working on cars... Oh, and as far as our bet, are you bs.gif giving up? I'll take payment givemebeer.gif immediatly...

Dan
KaptKaos
I am in Westchester, just south of you. I don't have the space as my garage is packed with junk, but let me know if you need a hand. I am not all that experienced, but I can provide muscle.
bottomend
Ernie Ball, huh!? Thats pretty cool! I'm a bassist and went through a loooong SuperSlinky phase. Never owned the StingRay though.

I PM'd you a few options ect. I'd like to have a gander at this beast...
highways
Yes Ernie Ball of Music Man corporation. The story is that Ernie had about twenty cars (and a good mechanic) and so this sat in the garage alot of the time. Then one day he wanted to get an airplane, so he sold it and my Dad got it. In highschool I had an english teacher who said I should stop by her house because her husband had an old 4 track reel to reel recorder that he would give me (i was recording music at the time). So I went out to pick it up and when we were loading it into the car he just kept looking at it and said "That car looks really familiar". So I told him what I knew and he said, "That's the one... I was the vice president of Music Man back in the 70's working for Ernie and one day we went out and bought two 914's together. Ernie got your's, the white one, and I got a red one." It was crazy to randomly run across the person who was there when they drove it off the dealers lot.

So yeah... I'm considering a storage facility and was just wondering how much 'working' storage I could get away with. No I'm not going to weld on a simularly rusted suspension console, I will go ahead and buy that new. But I need some other parts as well...

And Proto31, AKA the "Watch me rev my BMW engine to 9000 rpm guy (Dude I think I broke my fan belt!)" and then opens his radiator cap while it's boiling...... THE BET IS ON. You can pay me off any day of the week and I might leave you with a little chump change so you can buy a beer and stop crying drunk.gif . I told you to stop fixing your rustbucket 914-6 with fiberglass. That's just not the way to do it man. And at least if you're going to continue using bondo, you have to learn to mix the hardner in before you apply it. screwy.gif

Proto31 and I have a bet as to who can get their 914 driving first....

alfred.gif
bottomend
Cool story. Do you still play music? Definately gimme a shout. I PM'd you my number.

jeff?
proto31
dead horse.gif this is me driving-girl.gif . Now this is you drooley.gif . Any questions?
7TPorsh
Looks like a few of us are in the same boat; in need of somewhere to store, wrench, hang, beerchug.gif
How about some shared space in an industrial part of town; you know-the other side of the tracks!

I went to a Pelican Parts Swap Meet last year at someplace like that in Riverside, too far-but awesome idea.

Looks like there are more LA area teeners all of a sudden. Do se need to form an L.A. JackStand Contingent?
highways
QUOTE(proto31 @ Jun 16 2006, 09:04 AM) *

dead horse.gif this is me driving-girl.gif . Now this is you drooley.gif . Any questions?

Yes one question Proto31... are you saying that you drive like a girl or that your car is a dead horse??? boldblue.gif lol2.gif
bottomend
I have space to build engines. No storage area of cars though.
proto31
I do beleive that the French ar selling 3 wheeled cars, maybe France is the correct place to take your car... chair.gif I'm still going to win this bet and there ain't much you can do about it except try and KMA.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.