Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Did anyone see NOVA on PBS yesterday?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Charles Deutsch
The show was called Infinite Secrets . I caught the last part of it where they talked about a document written by Archimedes that they only recently were able to read and they discovered that he understood some concepts of calculus 2000 years ago. If this document would have been known of earlier, it would have advanced western mathematics greatly. Fascinating stuff.
Curvie Roadlover
Charles/Jeff/Alfred, isn't there a math BBS for that stuff? barf.gif
Charles Deutsch
This post offended you?! Me thinks you're too sensitive ...
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 1 2003, 09:27 AM)
If this document would have been known of earlier, it would have advanced western mathematics greatly. Fascinating stuff.

It is fascinating. Makes one ponder how it might have affected our 914's. laugh.gif

914 + $$$ + infinity = well....I dunno....
Curvie Roadlover
Not at all. It's just that I've seen your math related posts turn into ugly namecalling, who knows more about math than who squabbling, etc. I would think that the internet would have BBS's that are geared to these kinds of things specifically where your fascination would be better appreciated, Right? confused24.gif
Charles Deutsch
You should blame the people that did the name calling (should be easy enough to go back and look). Here's a revelation, the 914 couldn't have been made without math.
reverie
This is a stupid thread.. it has no Porsche content or forum-related content.. it's just a show about math that you watched on the great god Television?

Please cut back on your OT threads, or if for some reason you can't help yourself then just take it over to the Pelican crowd. I think this forum is beginning to suffer under their accumulating weight (or mass, or whatever), and I know I'm not the only one. Thank you.
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(reverie @ Oct 1 2003, 09:51 AM)
This is a stupid thread.. it has no Porsche content or forum-related content...

Yeah, that's kinda what the "WOT" in the title meant. You could've saved yourself some grief by just skipping this thread.
silver six
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 1 2003, 09:55 AM)
Yeah, that's kinda what the "WOT" in the title meant. You could've saved yourself some grief by just skipping this thread.

You could have saved yourself some grief by not starting this thread.

Douglas
morgan
smash.gif Kids now play nice
Jeff Bonanno
shit, i was considering posting and OT one last night about local news coverage of a project i did at work - glad i didn't! (i'll just piggyback it here with the other rabble laugh.gif )
J P Stein
I never got to calculus. I tripped over Trigonometry in HS....all the magic smoke came out of my haid. Now....
I'm forced use the stuff constantly at work....life.... and math sux. I'm better at smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
jnp914
Since this thread supposedly always results in name-calling, how about we get right to it:

Who is least math adept?

I nominate me. I have broad shoulders, I can take the abuse.
Curvie Roadlover
jnp914, I see you joined the group in August. Welcome.
Unless you had been perusing the BBS for quite a while before joining, you prolly don't know the history here. I'll PM you and fill you in a bit.
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Oct 1 2003, 10:50 AM)
jnp914, I see you joined the group in August. Welcome.
Unless you had been perusing the BBS for quite a while before joining, you prolly don't know the history here. I'll PM you and fill you in a bit.

Don't leave out the government stats! laugh.gif
jnp914
OK, points noted.

I would rather see endless arguments on rear reflectors and hood emblems anyways.
need4speed
I thought WOT was "Wide Open Throttle" (waaahoooo!).
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(jnp914 @ Oct 1 2003, 11:01 AM)
OK, points noted.

I would rather see endless arguments on rear reflectors and hood emblems anyways.

agree.gif Amen brother
Charles Deutsch
OK, points noted.

I'm against both of those and the P-O-R-S-C-H-E side stripes (I think they're tacky on a 914).
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 1 2003, 11:17 AM)
OK, points noted.

I'm against both of those and the P-O-R-S-C-H-E side stripes (I think they're tacky on a 914).

I never thought I'd say this, but agree.gif with Alfred
laugh.gif
double-a
Who is least math adept?  

I nominate me.  I have broad shoulders, I can take the abuse.  

that's crap! i'm far more ignorant of math than you. wink.gif i possess an infinite supply of mathematical ignorance.

that said, welcome! i'm a newbie too, just bought my first teener a week ago, a '74 polar white 2.0, from craig laughton in portland.
Curvie Roadlover
Welcome, Aaron. wavey.gif beerchug.gif
double-a
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Oct 1 2003, 12:24 PM)
Welcome, Aaron. wavey.gif beerchug.gif

thanks!
redshift
Hahw meny are us are underept mathmartians? I ca'nt count. I aslo funlkd elingish.

M
KaptKaos
Hahw meny are us are underept mathmartians? I ca'nt count. I aslo funlkd elingish.

Priceless.
J P Stein
Ah ha....anuther 914 wonk in Vancouver WA.

Aaaaaron, come over to the AX at PIR Sunday 12 Oct.
and meet the crew. We have some fun there.
redshift
Sorry to get even farther off topic, but I wonder why everyone crys about exporting American jobs, when I know damn well that I don't want to work.

Let's export all the work.

M
Bruce Allert
agree.gif HERE HERE
Plus...
Yer not the most unknowledged in aritmatik. I AM damn it blink.gif

Oh ya... Welcome Aaron, beerchug.gif from another of the leftcoasters and what JP said, com'on over to da AX. Yew'll git ta see what happens wit mah car & its new 110# springs driving.gif Woooo hoooo
bruce
Queenie
QUOTE(double-a @ Oct 1 2003, 12:13 PM)
Who is least math adept?  

I nominate me.  I have broad shoulders, I can take the abuse.  

that's crap! i'm far more ignorant of math than you. wink.gif i possess an infinite supply of mathematical ignorance.

HAH! As both a girl and an English major, it's clear that I am the least mathematically inclined person here.
redshift
You_don't_count

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I am like 2 hours late for work, I had to calculate that.

M
Queenie
but...but...but...I DO TWO COUNT, DAMMIT MILES.

I can even count in Roman numerals.

SO THERE.

Go to work, you big slacker.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Queenie @ Oct 2 2003, 06:47 AM)
I can even count in Roman numerals.

as an English major you will appreciate this; i was there, i know it's true.

girl in my high school history class gets back her term paper, got a 'D' because a Big Part of the assignment was to use The Formatting Rules for themes, with proper section and paragraph demarcation - she she completely blew off the "use Roman Numerals" part.

she said - through tears - "but we have an old manual typewriter and it doesn't *have* Roman Numeral symbols!"
seanery
I've looked I don't have that character set in Win XP.
Queenie
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 2 2003, 06:52 AM)
"but we have an old manual typewriter and it doesn't *have* Roman Numeral symbols!"

*gigglesnort* OMFGROFLOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif etc.

That is too funny. I suppose I'm just lucky that I read a lot and have been reading a lot since I was four, and I shouldn't take for granted that I know all kinds of extra (and seemingly useless) things as a result of that, but...sheesh. Roman numerals are pretty darn basic, at least as far as counting up to ten goes.
need4speed
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Oct 1 2003, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE(Charles Deutsch @ Oct 1 2003, 11:17 AM)
OK, points noted.

I never thought I'd say this, but agree.gif with Alfred
laugh.gif

They look even worse on a Ghia.
(/has Fuchs replica wheels)
double-a
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 2 2003, 01:10 AM)
Ah ha....anuther 914 wonk in Vancouver WA.

Aaaaaron, come over to the AX at PIR Sunday 12 Oct.
and meet the crew. We have some fun there.

i just might do that, since i missed the last one.

so how many folks on this little bbs live in vancouver? i've counted at least two so far, and a bunch in portland.
double-a
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Oct 2 2003, 05:28 AM)
Oh ya... Welcome Aaron, beerchug.gif from another of the leftcoasters and what JP said, com'on over to da AX. Yew'll git ta see what happens wit mah car & its new 110# springs driving.gif Woooo hoooo
bruce

thanks bruce, it's good to be here among the many 914 geniuses.
Neal
I don't get this forum, I posted about a phantom suspension clunk and received a handfull of replies a post about math in the antiquties received 2+ pages.
I am feeling very lonely
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Neal @ Oct 2 2003, 10:19 AM)
I don't get this forum, I posted about a phantom suspension clunk and received a handfull of replies a post about math in the antiquties received 2+ pages.
I am feeling very lonely

sorry - i'm clueless to help your suspension problem beyond the excellent replies you already got. i could make up something if it'd make you feel better, but once anything i could contribute has already been posted, there's not really much more i can say...
J P Stein
Ayup, that happens. You could have gotten replys like
"Somethin' is broke or worn out. Take it apart and find out.".....something I often think of, but never say. laugh.gif

Now, if you'd asked "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?", there would be any number of opinions.

This thread has the advantage of being total drivel wink.gif
Pnambic
And we seem to be rather gifted in the drivel category.
laugh.gif
redshift
You are soaking in it!

I wish I had a camera, so all of you could see the view I have right now, it's breathtaking.

I am in a house on the marsh, second floor office, it's beautiful, it's all beautiful from here, and I hate the marsh.

M
Boldylocks
I saw NOVA -taped the show-.
Very very good stuffffff.
PBS is worth the money.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Queenie @ Oct 2 2003, 08:20 AM)

*gigglesnort* OMFGROFLOL laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif etc.

laugh.gif lol3.gif lol2.gif Queenie snorted laugh.gif lol2.gif lol3.gif
another snorter beer.gif mueba.gif
bruce (snort) w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.