Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Last ditch effort for starting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
evan
Okay, I think I will give it one more try to fix myself (with everyone's help) beofre i have her towed to the garage. Drove car around no warnings. At stoplight the engine shut off. Will not start. Towed home. Get spark from center wire off of starter coil, changed the fuel filter, sprayed choke carb cleaner in the carbs and it ran for about 5 seconds died and backfired. Hear a humming when I turn the key so i think the fuel pump is ok? I think my fuel pump is a 1"--2" square metal box down in the passenger side of engine bay with a electric wire coming from the start coil; with the fuel line coming in one end, going out the other continuing on to the filter. Gas is not old, engine turns but just does not want to fire. Help please, birthday and anniversary are in same month and is expensive. I don't want to take her to the auto dr.

evan
bd1308
OK. Let's see...

you get spark, you get fuel.

What year is your 914, do you have stock FI? Or carbs?

If you have FI, there is an issue with power delivery to your FI systems.

If you have carbs, maybe your idle jets are clogged (if you have a weber IDF carb or similar)

b
plas76targa
Evan,

Just guessing here, but I wonder if you have a ground wire loose some where. There are several places on a 914 that are ground points. one is a bundle of wires near the top center of the engine (beneath the aircleaner on FI cars), near the relay board on the drivers side of eng compartment, the ground strap from engine to tran, also a bunch drivers side/front of the fuse panel. check these, clean them with some electric cleaner. Again just a thought.

Fuel pump - stock location is below engine tin. Only visible from below the car - near the heater control valve and heater hose into the passenger compartment.

sorry can't offer more. How did the engine run during it's brief offer of life?
bd1308
I had a fuel pump that would run but not supply gas to the car, maybe thats what is going on.

Get a fuel pressure guage on that engine stat.

b
type47
verify spark by using a spare spark plug and just disconnecting one spark plug wire and plugging in spare plug, ground plug and turn engine over and check for spark.

verify fuel getting to carbs, even though you can hear fuel pump, by removing a fuel line, cranking engine and checking for flow.

spark and pump hum you make me guess a clog or crimp in fuel line, especially since it sputtered when you used the starter fluid.

take all necessary precautions when working with gasoline and sparks.
jd74914
Two ideas;

#1 Maybe your pump isn't pumping as well as it should (ie: too little pressure).

#2 One of your grounds went south (though I tend to find this one less likely as the car was running). Does everything else work?

The humming would be the fuel pump (which means its getting power, not that its actually pumping correctly), and any pssst sounds are the cold start valve.

Edit: Do you have a coldstart valve?
rhodyguy
read the post guys. he sprayed cleaner down the carbs...sounds like you have a facet fuel pump. powering off of the coil is less than optimum. read the fuel pump powering thread in the classic thead section. pull a fuel line at one of the carbs and make sure you have delivery at the carb, use a catch can for the fuel that will hopefully squirt out. btw your fuel filter should be upstream/prior to the pump. check points and related dist components and go forward from there.

k
nbscooters
if the ether in the carb cleaner caused the engine to fire, then chances are that fuel isnt getting to the injectors or carbs.
rhodyguy
he sprayed cleaner down the CARBS...ensure fuel delivery and report back.

k
tdgray
Yep... what Kevin said.

You got spark. Not a ground issue etc.

Fuel has got to be the problem.

GO CHASE IT MAN.
evan
[

Fuel pump is working. Found that driver side of the dual 44mm solex carbs butterfly is stuck in the open position. The passenger side is closed. Pushed the drivers side closed and the car still does not start. Can see just a little fuel coming out of the tiny metal tube within the carbs when the linkeage / throttle is pushed. There is a red hot wire coming to each of the carbs attatched to a round "Metal disk ???" on the outside of the carbs. I have not removed a plug nor did I have a spare plug to pull a wire. Not so sure it is electrical at this point unless it has to do with the apendage to the carbs with hot wire. The original problem was the car died while driving. Still trying to avoid the Auto Dr

evan
Happy Fathers Day to all the Dad's

uote name='tdgray' date='Jun 15 2006, 09:44 AM' post='704209']
Yep... what Kevin said.

You got spark. Not a ground issue etc.

Fuel has got to be the problem.

GO CHASE IT MAN.
[/quote]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.