Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Ever had this conversation with your wife
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
drewvw

I just got this email from my wife. I thought I would share:

I don't want to hear about the Porsche for 1 whole week - unless we are going for a drive in it... In fact I would like to limit Porsche parts conversations to once or twice per week.

I'm bored of talking about aquiring parts to rebuild an engine...
I'm not saying I am bored of going for rides in the Porsche or the car in general I just don't want to hear about parts every day for the rest of my life...

when I get into stuff, I tend to REALLY get into it.....ah well.
zymurgist
Wife? What's that? (see signature)
r_towle
safest thing to do is never talk to her about it...

just get what you need for parts.

Then if she gets mad..say hey, you didnt want to talk about it....

R
Joe Ricard
Uh yea that would get you a free night sleeping in the 914.

Mine is so sick of me bugging her she asked when my next race is. and that I should find another event sooner. Just as long as I shut the fuck up about the car.
Midtowner
I always keep this in mind: "A happy wife makes for a happy life!" So, say nothing, order your parts and have them sent to a friends place! wink.gif
scottb
i order parts. they show up. i put the box in my parts area. nothing is said.

only time i talk about the car with her is when i am going to need a lot fo time (like this weekend) or when i am going to spend a lot of money (like the $5k engine). otherwise, no news is good news......

besides, it's my damn money!!! (right?)
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2006, 11:52 AM) *

R

You'll never win that one.... sheeplove.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Jun 15 2006, 11:56 AM) *

"A happy wife makes for a happy life!"

...couldn't have said it better....I tell my kids that all the time, and they agree!

For years all deliveries to our home were for her...or the kids. It seems to be my turn, and yes she's certainly notice the swing in events. So far she's okay with it, I'm sure there will be pay-back.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 15 2006, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2006, 11:52 AM) *

R

You'll never win that one.... sheeplove.gif

Rick,
I think that my wife is alot like yours...
She never complains about my cars...and I have a few...
I rebuilt a car with each of my boys, and we both think it was great...
Its one thing I can do with them and teach them that I love...

I am so cheap (like you) I always find ways do do what I want..buy cars, sell them and keep the car money at a break even point...

So, my wife never asks, and I never tell...it is perfect..
and she has the new car, that works all the time...so she is happy car wise...

I know that cabin certainly got you in the brownie points...its awesome and I am sure she loves it...
I am sure that she would love for me to work on the house more, but that seems to be a never ending thing...so I do some each year....

I think that when my wife basically told me she doesnt care at all about cars...that was the end of me talking to her about it...as we get older, she is seeing that going to car shows can be fun, and the people are cool...so she is coming back...but now the cars I drive aare not all Shitboxes (like when we first met), so she is ok with riding in them....

I think my point is, listen to her, talk about what she want,,,and do whatever you like with cars,,,its not her hobby...

Rich
Allan
I have similar conversations with my wife but she never used the word "Porsche"...
KaptKaos
Given that I have three daughters (Zois, I think you'll understand), my wife gives me lots of freedom when it comes to the 914. I live in a pink and frilly gushie girlie world of love. I have rainbows and ponies and princesses coming out of my ass. My wife knows I need some manly stuff.

Sure, she complains a little about the magazines and catalogs and junk in the house that is car related, but thats about it.
914-8
why in the world would you discuss car parts with your wife in the first place?!? confused24.gif

most wives have zero interest in car parts or car repairs, yours is obviously no exception.

yeah, sharing interests, etc. is nice, but there are limits. some stuff is just "guy stuff" which a wife is not gonna have any interest hearing about. I think pistons, brake calipers, and rusty a-arms fall firmly into that category.

you've obviously been boring her to tears with this stuff. give the poor woman a break - knock it off!

Jenny
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 15 2006, 01:30 PM) *

I live in a pink and frilly gushie girlie world of love. I have rainbows and ponies and princesses coming out of my ass.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

I never get any shit from Brian. And I try not to give any either. But too many video game console or artillery purchases do raise an eyebrow and make for heated dinner conversations. He does complain that I talk about the club too frequently. confused24.gif

Jen
So.Cal.914
The last time I rebuilt my engine I did it in the middle of the livingroom so I had

A/C and the TV to keep me company. My wife is cool about my passions. Of

course a piece of jewelry a few times a year is recommended.
john rogers
I guess I am pretty lucky, since my wife bought the first Porsche (a 930) we have and finally got tired of me hot-rodding it and told me to get my own race car! When I go to work on it she takes the time to watch the shopping channels!!!
drewvw
OK here is the thing - Obviously I am not an idiot and understand that she does not want to hear about it.

All my other old cars are at the family homestead in upstate ny. So it had been a little while since I had a something to mess with and obviously I've been going a little nuts.

Imagine a little kid that was denied sugar for several years except on very special occasions (when I went home). And then in march, someone dumped a truckload of pixie sticks in the driveway.

don't worry, I am making the necessary adjustments and skipped out of work to come home and CLEAN. I know what I am doing.... KMA.gif
r_towle
whip[1].gif
drewvw

thanks everybody, I got the message: shut the hell up you whipped dumbass

now go get your shinebox....
brer
My girl kelly laughed her ass off at that.
She said that there should be a forum for commiserating porsche widows.

driving-girl.gif
Jenny
agree.gif It's never a good sign when she sits down and composes an email. I've composed a few in my day.

Ahhh, good stuff. Makes me wonder if my bf complains about me to his BBS friends.

Jen
JoeSharp
Your very LUCKY if you still have your wife and a 914. I have to do all the chorse and I have to keep up the honey-do list. Which by the way is fuchsen short. And by the way you could wind up with this burden.

Click to view attachment

There are 4 Teeners in this picture.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
drewvw

ok, here is an update:

In between refreshing the club site, I put in some hard time and cleaned the kitchen, living room, downstairs bathroom and basement. Made a homemade pizza that is piping hot and ready to be eaten when she gets home in 5 minutes.

So I am off the hook, and got the green light to go for a cruise in the 914 and have poker night in zimtown (aka basement) with the fellas.

I told you I know what I'm doing! biggrin.gif

Jenny
That's awesome!! Good on you.

And remember if you feel the need to talk 914s, do it here. wink.gif

Jen
Lou W
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 15 2006, 12:52 PM) *

R

QUOTE(Midtowner @ Jun 15 2006, 12:56 PM) *

I always keep this in mind: "A happy wife makes for a happy life!" So, say nothing, order your parts and have them sent to a friends place! wink.gif

agree.gif BTDT
nycchef
just apologize and tell her you love her. you are new to this marriage stuff. i have been happily married for 23 years of course it 's taken 3 wives.
Michael N
You are going about it all the wrong way. I bought my wife a 914 and restored it for her. She in turn let me get the 914/6. driving.gif
ematulac
I'd have to find my wife a 914 that was automatic for that to work.
drewvw

The only car she wants restored for her is a jag convertible....so I'm going to have to wait for that one.
MoveQik
This is a funny thread. My wife is incredibly tolerant of my little 914 problem....let's evaluate since my problem is compounded by my lack of mechanical skills....

1 - Buy a perfectly running and good looking 914
2 - Drive above mentioned 914 problem free for about 2 years
3 - Decide to completely strip, disassemble, restore & rebuild above mentioned 914 on my own(a true grass roots project)
4 - After stripping and disassembling above mentioned 914, let it sit for about 12 months
5 - Finally fess up that the car isn't making any progress NOT due to lack of time BUT MORE BECAUSE of lack of skills on my part(C'mon, I took pictures, it should be easy to put back together!!)
6 - Convince wife that it would be better to let a shop repaint the car.
7 - Convince wife that it would be better to let another shop put the whole G@d D@mned thing back together
8 - Drive car problem free for a few months
9 - Convince wife that it would be REALLY cool to let Joe O'Brien to convert the car to a 3.2(See note on item #5)
10 - In addition to all of that, convince wife that I STILL need to hang out with all of you idiots.

My wife and I are very similar in the fact that we both have very strong financial backgrounds. For the life of her she can't understand why in the world I want to pour money into something that isn't an investment. She has finally come to peace with it as " Who the f@rk cares, he loves it and it keeps him out of trouble!" Considering my wife's love for speed, when the conversion is done, I think she will finally be on board!!!! beerchug.gif
Andyrew
I spent the last month of my free time with my gf...

Its graffiti weekend, and I tell her I want to work on my car a couple nights this week... get it running...

"ok, bye" click

minute later,

ring ring "you know, when im in collage, you'll have 4 years to work on your car..."

headbang.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 15 2006, 11:04 PM) *

I spent the last month of my free time with my gf...

Its graffiti weekend, and I tell her I want to work on my car a couple nights this week... get it running...

"ok, bye" click

minute later,

ring ring "you know, when im in collage, you'll have 4 years to work on your car..."

headbang.gif

Pardon my ignorance as I have not met you....but you sound like some what of a young gun and that is a VERY nicely done conversion(Yeah, I clicked the links in your sig)where did you get the skilz??
Andyrew
Lernt em..

but thank you!

Everything just takes time, and money...

Fortunately I have a dad that knows a bunch.. and have learned just about everything from him, and the help here on the board...

Im 19... g/f is the young gun at 17..

I was the self proclamed youngest 914 owner for a while.... then some youngbloods came along.. Now im the self proclamed youngest v8 914..

Fyi, it aint done, and it aint nice yet... lol Im trying though
jimtab
Lyn always says..."all you guys ever talk about is numbers and letters....what the hell do you want to tell me this stuff for?" I tell her it's to distract her from all my "playing around" .....usually, when she's done laughing....she just walks away shaking her head....must be doing sumpin right 38 years today... smile.gif
Joe Bob
I just hide in the garage...when I come out, I eat, do the dishes, sweep the floors, do some laundry, go to sleep, get up, go to work, come home and hide some more.....it's easier. The dogs think I'm one of them.....
MoveQik
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jun 16 2006, 12:03 AM) *

must be doing sumpin right 38 years today... smile.gif

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif Congrats my good man! I'm only 28 short years behind ya!
ninefourteener
My wife gets it from me....... two-fold.

Not only was the 914 recently not running......... so she had to listen to me bitch and whine, and throw tools around the garage trying to figure out wht the damn thing wouldn't run...... buying parts.... car still doesn't run, etc....

(BTW.. ended up to be the coil)

I ALSO just spent $640 on a COBB tuning Accessport ECU for the Subaru...... so she gets to hear about the exhaust upgrade (Stage 2), and then the turbo and intercooler upgrade down the road (stage 3).

Usually.... I just get a "Thats great baby", followed by being immediately ignored.

Of course... I'm still a newlywed...... should I expect more controversy in the future? LOL
drewvw

i used to get the "that's great baby" but its long gone now....
Steve Thacker
I don't talk about the car period as the Mrs has no interest. I buy what I need and work on the car when I need to, thats about it. I don't ask permission, clean the house , do the dishes or yes dear it to death to slip something by.

Trust me...If you think the ole lady doesn't know what you are trying to pull by doing these things. You got more problems than you know. Look at it like trying to hide an elephant in the refigerator.

The way I look at it is this, I earn the money. The Mrs is well taken care of and has a comfortable life. She enjoys reading as a hobby and I'm cool with that.

I don't have a monkey on my back for booze, cigs or strange dames....anymore biggrin.gif
I have a car habit and it keeps me out of trouble for the most part. If the Mrs needs me, all she has to do is follow the source of the cussing and wrench throwing.
ClayPerrine
You poor, poor, whip[1].gif b@stards......

You really don't know how bad you have it....

My wife gets on e-bay and finds stuff for my car. She gets out in the garage and helps with the wrenching. She asks for stuff like "bumper tops" for her birthday. She let me store six conversion parts in the spare bedroom (they had to be new and clean).

She just found an old AD for a 914 on e-bay, and bid on it without even asking me!!!!

I got it REAL good!!!!! mueba.gif

Gotta love a real toolwench. drooley.gif wub.gif

zymurgist
Hey Clay,

Does she have a sister? boldblue.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jun 16 2006, 12:45 PM) *

Hey Clay,

Does she have a sister? boldblue.gif

Yes.. and her sister is recently divorced.

But she is nothing like Betty. She knows nothing about cars, and would freak out if she broke a nail.

I got the GOOD one!
zymurgist
Waah. Poor, poor pitiful me...
dinomium
QUOTE(914-8 @ Jun 15 2006, 01:35 PM) *

why in the world would you discuss car parts with your wife in the first place?!? confused24.gif

most wives have zero interest in car parts or car repairs, yours is obviously no exception.

yeah, sharing interests, etc. is nice, but there are limits. some stuff is just "guy stuff" which a wife is not gonna have any interest hearing about. I think pistons, brake calipers, and rusty a-arms fall firmly into that category.

you've obviously been boring her to tears with this stuff. give the poor woman a break - knock it off!

Gawd I WISH that were true around my place! My wife wants to know what parts where from and how much, then she will say something like "ok I can understand brakes, but bump steer kit? To lower a low car?? Why not get something important like new passenger seatbelts?"

She is THE BEST! grouphug.gif (she might be lurking here!)
Toast
Obviously, I dont mind guys talking about cars or parts. biggrin.gif

I just wish they would help clean the house.......something.......anything........even the dishes would be nice. rolleyes.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 16 2006, 02:03 PM) *

I just wish they would help clean the house.......something.......anything........even the dishes would be nice. rolleyes.gif

I help with laundry, dishes, cooking and cleaning. My hands fit the handle of a vacuum cleaner nicely. I make the bed every morning, and take out the trash and recycling.

Yes.. I am whip[1].gif in some ways.... but I am lucky to have her.

rcrgrl
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 16 2006, 12:03 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
banksyinoz
av-943.gif when my gf (now wife no.2) told me she loved fast cars (excetion to any ford) i told her i thought i am fallin in love with her biggrin.gif now we r married

av-943.gif some of the best times in the shed are with my little happy11.gif heheheheheheheh

all i have to do is clean confused24.gif

small price smile.gif
Thorshammer
Drew,

Not that I know shit, but marrying a New England woman has taught me a couple things I did not know as a midwestern kid growing up.

1. Never show weakness, ie... do NOT do the laundry, clean the entire house etc.... to make peace, start the laundry, and only one load, pick up but DO NOT CLEAN, what is wrong with you. Do you want to do that shit all the time, cause thats where this is going. With eastern woman, its always a power struggle. The email is her way of putting down on paper. Think of it as an internal memo at work, people read them but not everyone follows them.

2. Don't discuss the 914 with her ever, Buy what you want when you want as long as you can meet your other financial commitments (this means retirement too).

3. You should know by now that a trip to the Wrentham outlets, and lunch on the Cape will fix just about any issue that most NE woman have. I figure it costs me 1,000 for every 10k I spend on racing/914/toys. It's cheap. Just bought new bedroom furniture at Jordans, (clearance room). She's happy and I am racing next week in the 12 hours at Summit Point, and then Watkins Glen in July.

4. Try to do thing she knows are special, not everyday chores. She'll know your intent to make up, and won't be expecting the laundry to be done every week.

Good luck,

Erik Madsen

Post Script: If you are ever in my area, stop in, we are in the book.
drewvw

Thats great, I like that. Very accurate...

I have to swap cleaning for laundry in my case though....I have a firm precedent set where I never have to do any laundry and there is no doubt I have to clean the bathrooms.

for some reason, my whole life I've been a bathroom man. Its the only thing domesticated I know how to do well. biggrin.gif

JPB
I would use the Pavlov's dog aproach to this problem. What you say? Yes. Express your excitement with your car project/parts with some sort of female stimulation of the kinky kind like oral perhaps. I would bet she will be doing the parts ordering for you in the near future and loving you for it also!

beer.gif Okay girls, ar15.gif fire away!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.