Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is all Black Paint the same color mix?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I have heard of painter's tricks where small amounts of other color is mixed in with the main color to "enhance" it.
For example:
A very small percentage of Blue mixed in White makes the White even "colder" and eliminates possible yellowing over time..
or
Adding a few drops of yellow, red, and blue to black give it a little more vibrance.

So, will i get the same mix of paint if i ask for Porsche coded Black or is Black, Black?
blink.gif
Aaron Cox
are all reds the same? yellows? blues?

black is just another color... mix to your specs smile.gif
7TPorsh
But what is the impact on the result? Does Porsche 041 Black have any other color mixed in? Other colors show shades and tints.
914-8
This answer may not be accurate, relying on my memory from 6 months ago, but when I had L041 black mixed for my project, my paint shop told me that it is a straight black, with no tints in it.

And that it in fact is the exact same color as many other black cars. He showed me on the computerized paint color mixing machine how the formula for L041 porsche/VW black was the same as the formula for black used on many other cars (Fords, etc. etc.).

So while, yes, certain brands can tint jet black to get a slightly different color (I think MB does, for instance), it seems a lot of cars use a standard, straight "black, black." So black is kinda unique among colors.
So.Cal.914
Is black black, or is it really just black. Looking back I believe it's black, but I lack

the nack to ID black black , ain't that a sack... blink.gif
7TPorsh
By Joe I think I've got it! biggrin.gif

BLACK/BLACK, and NON BLACK/BLACK
Porsche BLACK and Benz BLACK

So if you had the knack,
and, your name was Jack,

Would you not pack your your sack,
And stack it in the back, and, paint your car Porsche BLACK or Benz BLACK?
chairfall.gif

So.Cal.914
EXACT
effutuo101
Go for a blue black and don't turn back
Brown blacks are for hacks
umm
URY914
I have a friend named Mac and he is black.

I looked at his wife's rack and he gave me a wack.

Now my eye is blue and black. sad.gif

Lou W
You guys are wacked wacko.gif
BigDBass
I think they're all on crack.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Jun 16 2006, 09:39 AM) *

Go for a blue black and don't turn back
Brown blacks are for hacks
umm

Is Blue Black the Benz Black? Is there anywhere where these components of the paint codes are found? Like exactly what colors go into Benz Black or Dolphin Gray?

Oh,
Not wacked, not smacked, just which black?

Black Jack Shellac
URY914
Ask this guy...

7TPorsh
Nice pit crew outfits!
zymurgist
We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.
7TPorsh
Well, been surfing found a site, plug in the color or code, click through and you get paint formula in German.
http://www.shcolor.info/scripts/colorinfo.dll/carmaker
Using a translator, i have preliminarly found the following makes have tints added to basic black:

Aston Martin-yellow, red
Bentley-Ruby, Blue
Bmw-blue, green
Chrysler-Emerald, ochre, white
Fiat/Lancia-Violet, blue
Suzuki-red, ochre, blue
Toyota-white,red,green,ochre

Porsche, Ford are all black only.

Now what? Finds pictures for the best black? Aston Martin Black may be neat.
Mueller
when I bougth black paint for my 914 years ago, I gave them the correct color code, the paint they mixed was labled '71 dodge black...
LowGT
I'm a formulations chemist for Valspar Corp (they own House of Kolor) and I do a lot of work shading paint for production. It could be possible that one manufacturer's black is similar to another, possibly even a decent visual match. The problem is with pure colors, like a black with only black tint in it (which is rare to have). There are an incredible amount of different black tints, and different percentages of tint to other components in the paint. Tint makes up the smallest portion of a paint's formula. wink.gif There's also binders, catalysts, gloss controls, solvent, flow additives, curing agents, and other stuff depending on the paint.

In other words, I doubt you'll find a similar match unless you use the original formula. It might look good head on, but bad from other angles, or in different lighting conditions. We have well over 100 different formulas for black paint which all look the same individually, but if you lay one test panel over another the difference is night and day.
7TPorsh
Thanks Dan, I am prepping for paint within the next few weeks and want to pick a really vibrant black.

So I wonder if the tinted Blacks give of different types of reflections; i am not matching existing paint-only trying to figure which code to use.
rjames
It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(7T Porsha @ Jun 15 2006, 03:54 PM) *

I have heard of painter's tricks where small amounts of other color is mixed in with the main color to "enhance" it.
For example:
A very small percentage of Blue mixed in White makes the White even "colder" and eliminates possible yellowing over time..
or
Adding a few drops of yellow, red, and blue to black give it a little more vibrance.

So, will i get the same mix of paint if i ask for Porsche coded Black or is Black, Black?
blink.gif

I would look into this a little more. I was just discussing this very issue with my painter since I want black too. He suggested a Toyota black which apparently has white pearl in it. It shows the dirt less, and when scratched does not show as bad especially when in the sun. I'm not a painter but this is what I was told.
LowGT
QUOTE(7T Porsha @ Jun 16 2006, 05:51 PM) *

So I wonder if the tinted Blacks give of different types of reflections; i am not matching existing paint-only trying to figure which code to use.

You can also tint the clearcoat for color effects. I've always loved jet black basecoat with a deep purple tinted clear. It looks straight black, but at a select few angles you get a hint of that deep purple.
7TPorsh
Great suggestions. But I can only put out enough for a decent single stage poly-urethane; so i wanted to maximize the bang for the buck. 2 stage is more than i want to deal with on this car.

My Charger has a Black pearl and honestly it looks a little dusty all the time; killer smooth and shine-just not what i am looking for.

Been looking around on the street at different new cars. Noticing that the new hondas (mostly Accords and the Pilot) have a pretty nice black. The Benz black looks pretty good.

Still looking. Does anyone remember a Chrome looking Blue the BMW had on the M3 a few years back? Can that be done with Black- Black Chrome?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.