Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: pops out of 2 nd gear after rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vincesix
with all new syncros, mainshaft bearing, 5th gear and everything else checked as good including the shift rod and bushings. doubled checked the fork and all settings and the SOB will not stay in 2 nd under power. WTF.
Brad Roberts
Did you replace the 2-3 slider and brake band for 2nd?

B
vincesix
yes they are new and we have manually put the car in 2nd with the shift rod out with the same result.
Brad Roberts
You have the shift fork out of alignment. It is not engaging second all the way. I bet it goes into third with ease?

You only have 4 options with what could be wrong.

1.worn slider
2.worn dog teeth
3.worn brake band
4.out of alignment fork

I have had guy's in the past who beat the shit out of second gear at AutoX and would move their 2nd gear shift fork to the point that it wouldnt engage the gear. 3rd worked great (it gets closer to 3rd when it moves) We cure this issues in G50's by pinning the fork to the shaft (same with 901/915's)

Can you pull the shift console down and shoot a pick of the shift rods in neutral for me?

B
vincesix
1st, 3rd 4th and 5th are fine. I will work on a picture
Brad Roberts
Which is why I didnt say anything about your linkage being mis-adjusted causing this issue. The issue is internal.

The throw for 2nd is the same amount of internal travel for 4th.

If it was a linkage issue, you wouldnt get enough throw for 2nd or 4th (or reverse)

Did you install new dog teeth on second?

B
Brad Roberts
I'm going to be in Riverside tomorrow after the fun run and before the AutoX. I dont mind stopping by to take a look at it.

Pull the back cover off and pull the entire assembly out of the case. Leave the tranny/starter/axles/clutch cable all hooked up. You can drop the back of the engine/tranny down far enough to get the top M8 nut off the tranny cover and slide everything out. Have it on a bench for me.

Your call.

B
Demick
Can also be that the shifter detent balls/spacers/springs were not reinstalled correctly. Although if that was the case I would think it would cause problems with other gears as well. But most likely would seem that the 2/3 slider shift fork was not put on in the correct place (too far toward 3rd gear) causing 2nd to not fully engage.

Demick
Brad Roberts
I thought a lot about the ball/spacers/detent.

If he didnt get this correct, it would effect all shifting.

I dont beleive that you can arrange the assortment incorrectly to the point where it would limit the shift rail travel for 2nd/3rd. Could be wrong.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.