Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cookies?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Does this site use cookies to remember me when I visit?

I have been checking in now and again and it seems that I am having to re log in every time:(.

-Kelly
Gint
I'm not sure what the details are, but there has been some discussion the last week or so about that very thing. Do a search for cookies.
echocanyons
No Luck with the search.

When you log in using the link at the top of the page that says log in/log out it asks if you want to be remembered but I clicked yes and still no luck everytime I come back to this BBS I have to log in again.

Kelly
Jeroen
The cookies are in the oven biggrin.gif
Hang on there...

Cheers,

Jeroen
Brad Roberts
I'll be dead honest: I dont know how to generate the cookie we need. Any help doing this would be greatly appreciated. I have spent about 12 hours searching the web and still dont fully understand what needs to be done. I know how they work... I know why we need them.. I just cant figure it out.

HELP...anyone...anyone.

B
Steve Thacker
Maybe I can help Brad,
Does this site run on Microsoft IIS ?
Thanks!
Steve
Brad Roberts
Hey Steve.

Yes. NT 4.0 server and IIS (hey..its free hosting) I test everything on W2K server and IIS5.. the cookies work.. they dont on NT 4.0

B
Steve Thacker
Brad,
Stand by and I'll dig out one of my old javascripts that should work on NT4.0 and IIS.

Be in touch soon.

Steve
DuckRyder
HMM, it WAS working, now it ain't.............................
Brad Roberts
Cookies are working clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
krk
Alrighty then. This will definitely show what a great web sophisticate I am. Oh well. How do I know they are working?

system: rhat linux 7.3 w/up2date patch level, mozilla 1.0.3

behavior: punch bbs button from 914 home page -- takes me to the bbs page, with a small window that let's me select a user id (krk, mister 930, and guest). (yes, I'd like to nuke "mister 930" -- it was a toy id for an early version of the board) I click krk and I get the bbs page. My id and password are filled in on the quick line. If I click, I'm in.

I just nuked all cookies out of my browser. No new ones appear...

kim.
Brad Roberts
Man.. your browser is jacked up. Your "mister 930" user isnt even in this database.

Send me a link for this Mozilla.. so I can test with it.

B
krk
http://www.mozilla.org

They list 1.0.2 on their home page. It's prolly close enough for jazz.

I don't actually know where the "mister 930" is coming from. It may be buried in some of the profile stuff. Mozilla is the core of netscrape, but it gives you a bunch more control over pop up windows/etc. But I've not had to do much with cookies/etc with it yet.. Tomorrow (when I'm closer to "awake") I'll poke it a little harder and see if I can shed some light on it.

kim.
Brad Roberts
Works fine with Mozilla.

Its does appear Mozilla will ask you if you want to setup a auto-login... I wouldnt do it..

B
krk
Excellent.

I also found the "manage passwords" section under the tools pulldown. Inside there, one can find "mister 930" and so forth. (watch me break something today by showing off my management skills. lol)

I agree on the auto login comment.

Actually, I don't generally allow my passwords to be stored either. (certainly nothing like a bank management password/etc) I'm pretty sure they are in a clear text file. If someone actually cracks your system, guess what the first thing scarfed up is?

Secondly, this stuff is running on my laptop, so physical security has different assumptions as well.

kim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.