Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
elwood-914
I have a starting problem. I can get the car to fire IF I shoot starting fluid into the intake, but it dies soon after. What I do not hear is the typical couple second buzz from the fuel pump. Where do I start? What times the relay to start and then stop? I did a search but there were about 40 pages on fuel pump problems and I went through a bunch before I gave up. Any ideas? I need to get it started soon so I can take it into the body shop and get it back on the road.
Thanks
Tim
TROJANMAN
i'd probably start by checking the power to the fuel pump with a meter. idea.gif
elwood-914
I keep a dummy relay ( I took the cap off) and I can manually depress the relay and it will start the pump. I can check fuel to the rails this way.
swl
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Jun 15 2006, 05:10 PM) *

What times the relay to start and then stop?

The ecu does. it grounds pin 86 of the fuel pump relay. You can duplicate the effect by pulling the 4 pin connector in the back driverside corner of the board and grounding pin 3 (drivers side front of the plug). Not likely though that is the problem.

The power routing is complex and includes the main power relay - swap it out if you have a spare. Also involved is the fuse on the board (the rear one if you have two). Does your heater blower work? It is on the same fuse. A voltmeter or test light is really helpful. If you have one check:

12V on the drivers side of the fuse. No? Fuse
Pull the fuel pump relay. 12V at pin 85? No? Main power relay or ignition
Pull the main power relay. 12V at pin 85? No? problem is likely in the cockpit. check fuse 8 then the ignition switch.

Just to remind you of the obvious. Pull the power to the coil when you have the ignition on for testing and the motor not running.
elwood-914
Thanks Steve, I'll give those items a check tomorrow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.