Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Need Oregon Hwy Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
We're trying to figure out how my wife is gonna do the Sisters outdoor quilt show on Saturday while I'm at WCC. One of the ideas is for me to leave her somewhere near Sisters and drive my car to Portland (now there's a sacrifice driving.gif ), then she'll drive to Portland to meet me after the quilt show.

So... she's driving a VW Eurovan camper. It has no problem with hills, but she's not the long distance driver in the family so we'd like to figure out which route is the easiest alternative. We've never been on US-26 between Madras and Porland, but we have been on US-20 and Oregon-22 which both go from Sisters to I-5. We're wondering if anyone knows these roads and can tell us how US-26 compares to the other two.

Thanks for the help!
bernbomb914
map quest will help you
boxstr
Ernie I have been on both many times and I try to go the I5 to Sisters route. It just suits me better.
Craig
Bruce Allert
The hwy 22 route is shorter in distance than 26. 22 is twistier & really nice for a 914. 26 has long straights to get ya up to 100 mph & beyond BUT... "The Man" is always watching! driving.gif

Go 22

......b beerchug.gif
retrotech
Wow, I am really surprised if you are driving a 914, anyone would suggest taking 5. When you can go through beautiful Bend Oregon, and drive a gorgeous twisty drive through rolling country side north to 84. Take a left [west] on 84, and drive through a National Scenic area, the Columbia River Gorge, traveling all the way next to the Columbia River, with Mt Hood on the left, and Mt Adams on the right. Then passing Multnomah Falls, a huge water fall, one of the biggest atractions in Oregon.
Or you could drive 5 with the Semi trailers, and fast food truck stops.
What ever suits you?
ThinAir
It's not me in the 914, it's my wife in the Eurovan! We're towing the 914 behind the Eurovan until we get to wherever I'm leaving her somewhere within reach of Sisters. I'll pick my own way to get to Portland in the 914 from there, but I'm looking for the best way for her to drive to Portland on Sunday morning to meet up with me at PIR.
MoveQik
Ahhhh.....Eurovans...quilts....somebody call the cops!! This party is getting craa-zeee!

Hey Ernie! poke.gif biggrin.gif Too bad we can't caravan up together again considering I am now going by way of Flagstaff! Wait'll the RRC!
Eric Taylor
My roommate from bend says that 22 to I5 is going to be your fastest route from sisters. If you want to do 26 your going to add at least a half hour to your drive if you cut up to redomond first. if you want to go to bend and cut up to 26 then your looking at an extra hr; however, 26 is suppost to be a very twisty and pretty road that winds up and by mt. hood. Anyhow good luck!
Eric
ThinAir
QUOTE(Eric Taylor @ Jun 15 2006, 11:10 PM) *

My roommate from bend says that 22 to I5 is going to be your fastest route from sisters. If you want to do 26 your going to add at least a half hour to your drive if you cut up to redomond first. if you want to go to bend and cut up to 26 then your looking at an extra hr; however, 26 is suppost to be a very twisty and pretty road that winds up and by mt. hood. Anyhow good luck!
Eric

Thanks, Eric! That's exactly the kind of input that I needed. I really appreciate it. thumb3d.gif
boxstr
I guess that is why I suggested I5 rather than up over the big mountain.
Craig
rhodyguy
the santiam hwy has plenty of curves esp up around detroit lakes.

k
ThinAir
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jun 16 2006, 07:33 AM) *

I guess that is why I suggested I5 rather than up over the big mountain.
Craig

Thanks, Craig. I appreciate the advice. I just like having the detail. I was thinking of 26 after someone mentioned that it had those long sweeping stretches until I heard about how the upper section is. We were trying to figure out whether to try to find a place to stay near Madras or between Sisters and I-5. I think we're going to go for between Sisters and I-5.

See you at WCC!
DblDog
...the road from sisters over the McKenzie (?) Pass is amazing! Check ODOT, Oregon Dept of Trans. on their website...good for road conditions, road cams, and for any construction on the roads you'll be taking...have a great trip.
Porsche Rescue
Yes McKenzie Pass is beautiful (hiway 20) but takes you too far south. You want 22 (Santiam Pass) to I-5 at Salem. By far the best and shortest way to Portland and PIR, no more than 3 hours. Not much in the way of lodging between Sisters and Salem, maybe a motel or two in Detroit and Mill City.
DNHunt
Oregon 22. 3 hours to Portland seems awfully generous. I made Gig Harbor from Sisters in 4 1/2 hours once. I had the 914 going so fast it was shaking. Not smart but, fast.

Dave
Porsche Rescue
Mapquest says 2:49 to Portland, little farther to PIR. And it's his wife in a Eurovan.
ThinAir
Thanks gang!

With your input, we decided to stay somewhere on the West side of Sisters instead of North near Madras.

We've arranged for camping at Hoodoo Mountain. It's 20 minutes from Sisters so it's convenient for my wife to get there and back. It's also easy for me to drive the teener up to Portland on Friday for WCC.

The lady at the campground said to definitely take 22 to Salem and not 20 to Corvalis. She said she goes frequently to Corvalis for football games and she takes 22 and then heads south to Corvalis rather than taking 20. You'd sure never guess that from looking at the maps! She said it's 2 hours from Hoodoo to Portland via 22 and I-5.

Ok, enough of this planning stuff - I gotto go mount David Lee's tow setup so we can get this show on the road!
Porsche Rescue
Hoodoo is in the heart of the cascades, a ski area in winter. You will be at 4000 feet or more. Since you are approaching from the southeast the climb will be gradual and you should be OK. If you were coming from the west on 20 or 22, I would recommend unloading and driving the 914, rather than towing with a Eurovan. Should be no problem from 97 to Sisters to Hoodoo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.