Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension question - tight turning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdgray
So I had the 914 out for a short jaunt over to my sisters new house last weekend.

She lives on a cul-de-sac so I parked out there. When I went to leave I took a really tight turn (wheel locked all the way) to get around some other cars. The front right tire proceeds to act like it is skipping or skidding across the pavement until I straighten it out a little.

What might this be... are my tires to ???... I would not think so. I'm running 8 spoke EMPI's with *I think* 195's.

I know that my front shocks are toast and plan to replace them but this would not be a culprit would it?

Any ideas are welcome.
anthony
I'd check for rubbing on the inside of the fender wells. I doubt shocks would make a difference for what you describe.
So.Cal.914
Check balljoint.
Brad Roberts
Unless it was a F1 track, you experienced bad shocks. The shocks keep the tires in contact with the pavement after a bump (even a slight one)

Check for tire rub also.. you could have applied BRAKES to that tire in full lock.

B
porschenut
I have had a similar feeling backing out of the driveway with the steering close to full lock. Suspension totally rebuilt, lowered and custom 7" rims with real sticky tires. Always figured it was due to a different rim width/offset. May check the ball joints this weekend just to be safe.
tdgray
I'm going to change the shocks this weekend and see if that helps.

I thought about the ball joint. I tried to shake the tire / car... ya know up down side side with the wheel on the ground to see if anything was loose. NADA.

The shocks need replaced anyway so I'll start there.
Dr. Roger
all cars are supossed to have toe-out in turns as the inner front tire must turn tighter than the outer to maintain traction. (inside has a tighter radius)
there's only one thing I know of that can effect this ... bent steering arm. usually non-adjustable in most cars as they are one piece with the steering knuckle or ball joint.

i bet you are fine and just have stickier tires....

were you going real slow??? yes? tires. no worries.

my Benz did it straight from a dealership alignment with sticky tires. it's normal.

i drove leo imperials 914 with sticky tires and it did the same exact thing.

alignments are set to cover a wide range of driving types. some lean towards turning and some towards high speed stability. you can guess where your car leans towards. =-)
DNHunt
Could this be a little bit of JP's scrub radius. Empi's with more wheel to the outside of the ball joint will increase it some. Where is the old fart anyway? Last I heard from him he was trying to turn his car into a bathtub.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.