Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust pipes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ehick72
When I got my car, upon further inspection I found that the exhaust system was very very rusted out. I haven't done much with the pipes because figured I would replace them when I get the 2.0 engine built. However as these things go weeks turn into months and my new engine isn't even close to started.

With that being said I had to get my old engine/car in a condition that would allow it to pass inspection.

A few weeks back I was under my car fixing an exhaust leak. I thought it would take a quick tighten of a few bolts and I would be all set. I was in a rush that night so I crawled under the car without my protective glasses.

The next day I was at the optometrist having a piece of rusted metal dug out of my eyeball.

Needless to say a few weeks later that exhaust system was off and in my garage floor.
Mueller
what happend to the heat exchangers?

no more heat??

if I was going to suffer and not have heat, I'd at least run correct headers....

glad your eyeballs are back in working order blink.gif
ehick72
I then looked at it for about 10 minutes...grabbed my angle grinder and started to grind away. Turns out these pipes are pretty darn thick. and there is a ton of metal underneath that thick layer of rust.
rhodyguy
my guess is heat isn't an issue since he lives in austin. they get the car RUNNING and he looses some rattles. wear your safety glasses.

k
ehick72
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 16 2006, 01:20 PM) *

what happend to the heat exchangers?

no more heat??

if I was going to suffer and not have heat, I'd at least run correct headers....

glad your eyeballs are back in working order blink.gif

Yeah they were cut but then again I live in South Texas. Notice the eye, ear, and hand protection in the pictures.
ehick72
Then with the final product and a few small blemishes I painted them with some black header paint and they look tons better.
Hammy
I've never seen them without the HE's.
Anyways, the black looks good.
bottomend
YOu could've used Muriatic acid to clean em up good too. It's easy but you have to be VERY carefull. No distractions, unless you like the way the inside of a coffin smells...
JPB
Good job bro! I was going to do the same thing even up here in Virginia; removing the HEs however, I found a cool set of headers and went and got them ceramic coated. Looks like chrome bro and they will last for ever. The black looks great but it dosent seem to stay pretty for long.

smilie_pokal.gif Congrats on this Purist Minimalist award! Way to strip here bro and keep up the good work!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.