Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedo cable with the 915/916 Gearbox. Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeti
Hello to all the people in the Club!!! smiley_notworthy.gif
Well I have a problem but first I want to intodruce myself and the car a bit. Nearly 10 years ago I bought a really nice -6 from the US and reimported the car to Germany. Over the past few years the car was modified (yes I know, a real 6, but I will keep it and the mods are not so heavy) and now - very shortly after finish it I got a problem with the speedo cable. I have a modified 915 Gearbox with LSD , cable shift system etc. and wanted to run a 3.5 sport engine. Well after the 2nd dyno drive a rod broke and now the whole story is up to the lawyer. So I decided to use a 3.0 SC with carbs in order to run that summer biggrin.gif .
The problem is that the speedo cable has to bend nearly 180° to the gearbox connection. How can you solve the problem? Any ideas, any experience with that. I guess there are some peaple that use that gearbox. Here in Germany I'm pretty alone dry.gif .
I have a picture that shows it. The silver cable at the top (a bit hidden from the black cap).Thanks a lot and have a good time.
Yeti
yeti
I just want to add a few pics - maybe you like it.
Thanks Yeti
yeti
Nr.2
yeti
And the last.
zymurgist
Nice car... I assume that you were just telling us that we're Number One? laugh.gif
yeti
Hello,
well it is no secret that the 914club is superb biggrin.gif .
The scene and the forums are not so big in Germany and the modifications are not really commun. Well I could manage all th problems on my own, but why not ask the club icon_bump.gif ?
Thanks and greetings from Germany,
Yeti
Brad Roberts
welcome.png

Hello! You have come to the right place.

I personally see NO way you will be able to get a speedo cable to work properly with that setup. The speedo cables do not like to make 90 degree turns.

and.. unfortunately I dont have a decent solution for you. I would go electronic, but you might not have the excitor ring on the diff. You could use an electric pickup axle mounted.

hum..

B
Brad Roberts
clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

Ha ha hah.. I helped you out with the "flip off smilie"

I dont believe you intended to flip us ALL off on your first post!!

That is some funny shit.. laugh.gif

B
zymurgist
QUOTE(yeti @ Jun 16 2006, 04:56 PM) *

Hello,
well it is no secret that the 914club is superb biggrin.gif .

I was making a joke about your choice of greeting icon. Scroll back to the top and check it out. I think you can get a ticket on the Autobahn for that gesture... wink.gif

The scene and the forums are not so big in Germany and the modifications are not really commun.

Hmmm. I would have thought that there would be all kinds of cool old Porsches running around Germany. But there are plenty of great people in this forum, and many of them have done extensive mods. I personally can't answer your question... although I have an early 911 with a 915 transmission, my 915 came out of a 911SC with electronic speedometer. (No speedometer cable.)
John
agree.gif

I think an electric pickup mounted to a cv joint flange may be an option. (the other being the ring mounted on the diff). This solution would require changing speedometers, but this is what I plan on doing when I convert to a 915.

MORE PICS......
904svo
try this place

http://www.holden.co.uk/viewProducts.asp?s...iming&group=026

They might have what you need.
yeti
Oh SORRY for that.
I just want to make a wink nd not o show a finger.... headbang.gif
Well that' right - you get a ticke on the autobahn if you do this. Well you can get one.... biggrin.gif
Well I really would like to keep a mechanical stuff and not switch for the electronic one. I thought that there might be an adapter or someting like this? Does Patrick Motorsports have a solution or just electronic speedos in the 914. The communication via email is not the best...
Well there are a lot of cool Porsches in that county - but the 914 is pretty rare. and the modification with gearbox and cable shift system is not done very often. Well i guess I'm the only one blink.gif
On one of the pics you see a bit of my 356 pre a just right from the paint job. Next project smile.gif . But first i woul like to fix that.
Thanks Yeti

P.S. I have plenty of pics from that car and th mods - but the goal was to me that it should lok original.
yeti
Hello,
thanks for the tip. Do you mean this item? I will check it.
Thanks Yeti
Jeroen
Yeti, welcome aboard!

Where did you get your cable shifter set up?
Aaron Cox
doesnt a stock angle drive fit??? what did the 911's use??
So.Cal.914
Welcome Yeti. Nice six. I am sure you could make an adaptor for the angle drive that would solve your problem. Good luck. finger.gif Is this one of those German things? biggrin.gif
904svo
This might also work

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpa...tachdrives2.php

yeti
Hello.
Thanks a lot for the tips. Well I have to try one of these adapters. I guess to bend the spedo cable 90° is better than 180°. Or could I even connect 2 of them? I have the gearbox with the cable shift system from Power House (phii.net) but i guess it came from Patrick as a resale. Who else have a cable shift - any experience? I have not drive it yet. Since the system is "pretty ugly" I build a custom console. I can add picture of the system without the console.

Thanks Yeti
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.