Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil filter cross reference - Fram PH7325
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
I'm trying to find what oil filters are available for my 3.2 powered 914/6 conversion with a one-off oil tank mounted in the original battery location.

The car was converted by the previous owner and he was not able to provide any additional information.

The car came with a Fram PH7325 oil filter that my local auto parts stores do not stock any more.

CM Filters (Canton Mesa) has a cross reference than indicates that their model 25-282 is interchangable with the Fram PH7325.

The CM specifications indicate that the 25-282 has a 20mm thread, 2 5/8" O-Ring and 4 1/4" length.

The CM 25-282 also fits 91-94 911 Turbo, 82-up 944 and 78-up 928.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Eddie

Joe Bob
Best to go to the auto parts store and look in the cross reference book.
Bleyseng
I sugget you don't cheap out using a Fram oil filter.
Eddie914
Do you think a Mann W 719/22 or a Purolator L30165 will fit?

Thanks

Eddie
Cap'n Krusty
944s and 928s take different oil filters, so there's problem right there. Furthermore, the CM filter seems kinda small. Might wanna try to get a German filter for a 911 and see if it fits. The Cap'n
Eddie914
The mystery is solved. A very helpful gentleman at my local CarQuest Auto Parts Store was able to cross-reference the Fram PH7325 oil filter that is used on the 914/6 dry sump tank. He even has a applicable filter in stock in their house brand.

Get this ... 1981 Chevrolet Luv (Izusu) diesel.

Same 20mm x 1.5 thread as most Porsche filters and quite large in size. I've only blown up one engine in the last three years with this filter, so I might as well stick with the same one.

Thanks

Eddie
MarkV
there is a handy cross- reference guide on the Wix filter site.

http://www.wixfilters.com/
Eddie914
Are all oil filters created equal?

What brand oil filter should I use for the 914/6 3.2?

I dont' think I can get a Mahle or Mann filter in the size that was used on the dry sump tank?

Thanks

Eddie

ps MarkV - thanks for the link to the WXI site
Joe Bob
Your first request was for a Fram filter for a NON stock tank....now we have a stock oil filter?????

My Humble opinion follows...FRAM SUCKs.....

OK next, use the filter that came with it.....if it's a stock tank....Mann or Mahle.
morgan_harwell
Eddie914,

>914/6 conversion with a one-off oil tank mounted in the original battery location.
It sounds like you have a Stephens Machining /6 oil tank.

Did you find a replacement filter of the FRAM PH7325?

My Stevens Machining /6 oil tank spec'd FRAM PH2977A oil filters(Subaru diesel), which I used from 1987 till now (~200K miles). I've used up the last of my PH2977A stash.

I found a Purolator filter that measures correctly, but I haven't used it yet. I don't have it here with me to rattle off the part number.
(edit; Purolator L34631. Fits perfectly, very highly rated in the 'oil filter study' thread.)

Did you find a replacement filter of the FRAM PH7325?
Was it a Purolator?

--Moe--
Joe Bob
Just because it's cross referenced don't mean it's right.

Aftermarket tank and uses a Fram? Was the tank designed to use the stock Mahle or other less common German filters used on the 911 and 914/6 tanks?
morgan_harwell
QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 22 2008, 10:04 AM) *

Aftermarket tank and uses a Fram? Was the tank designed to use the stock Mahle or other less common German filters used on the 911 and 914/6 tanks?

No.
The 'Aftermarket' tank is a Stevens Machining 20QT. tank, designed to use diesel oil filters. When I talked with Mark Stevens about this (waaay back when in 1987), he preferred the diesel engine filters because of their greater flow capacity & finer particle filtration. I've never tried a Mahle filter on it (have several Mahles since we have a bone stock 911SC). The o-ring diameter is the wrong size and the threads don't match either.

I have Mark's prototype pre-production oil tank. After 20 years, ~200K miles, ZERO engine failures, I guess the 'Aftermarket' oil tank and the FRAM diesel oil filters really 'SUCK'. I lost the original filler cap and haven't found a decent replacement yet.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Yep, that's a Permatune, too. Been there for 20 years, ~200K miles. One time I thought it had failed, I was mistaken.
BMartin914
QUOTE(morgan_harwell @ Aug 25 2008, 11:19 AM) *

After 20 years, ~200K miles, zero engine failures, I guess the oil tank and the FRAM filters really 'suck'

From my standpoint, it is not whether or not fram filters suck (they do BTW) but that that poor quality filter is the weakest link in your oiling system - for an engine that NEEDS a lot of oil in a large volume to operate. If the hot glue and thin paper element inside that filter come apart, you are going to be wishing you'd spent the extra $$$ on a REAL filter.

effutuo101
I collapsed a WIC oil filter. I steped up to the K&N oil filter. better construction. I can use the Chevy filter, so, not as much of a problem.
Eddie914
I'm using a Carquest 85523 at this time.

Let us know the Purolator model number. It would be good to have another source. Pure-Oil-Now Pure-Oil-Later is what the canister on my 315,000 mile BMW M5 comes stock with (even though I use Mann or Mahle elements) so it can't be too bad.

Thanks

Eddie
Eddie914
I went to the Mann site and searched for a 3.3L 1991 930 and got this result:

VEHICLE MAKER PART NUMBER CROSS REFERENCE FOR THIS FILTER

VEHICLE MAKE PART NUMBER
FORD - MOTORCRAFT - FOMOCO EFL 358
FORD - MOTORCRAFT - FOMOCO 5017 856
FORD - MOTORCRAFT - FOMOCO 5025 130
PORSCHE 944.107.201.02
PORSCHE 944.107.201.05
PORSCHE 944.107.201.06
PORSCHE 944.107.201.08
PORSCHE 944.107.201.90

FILTER BRANDS PART NUMBER CROSS REFERENCE FOR THIS FILTER

FILTER BRAND PART NUMBER
BECK ARNLEY 041-8089
BOSCH 9 457 284 480
BOSCH 0 451 103 213
BOSCH 0 451 103 214
CHAMP LS 154
CROSLAND 2098
DELPHI FX20014
DELPHI - AC DELCO X 4051 E
DELPHI - AC DELCO FX20014
FRAM PH-6941
HENGST H 14 W 25
KNECHT AW 131
MAHLE OC 142
PUROLATOR L 27642
PUROLATOR L 30165
PUROLATOR PER 165

Eddie
Eddie914
Chris,

Are you using the K&N HP-4001?

Thanks

Eddie
Joe Bob
Frams don't have the bypass designed for the STOCK Porsche tanks. The fact that they say that they fit is a disservice to the consumer. If you grenade your motor, you think Fram will write you a check?

I try to use a the filter that designed for the car or the filter console.

As to being superceeded. Have you tried talking to Fram themselves?

I actually use one Fram product...the HP1 on my turbo 2180 Type I motor. Pretty idiot proof, two filters in tandem, in out, repeat. It's the filter that was designed for the standoff remote system.

You could do a search and see where Frams used on "it'll work" cross references and you can see the failures. Wasn't meant as a slam, just what I've seen from dissatisfied users.
roadster fan
Everything you ever wanted to know about oil filters and probably somethings you didnt is here oil filter study

Hope this helps. There are real differences in quality and effectiveness.

Jim
Eddie914
Wow, great info on oil filters.

I just ordered 3 Mahle OC-142 filters for $5.44 each.

I'll let you know it works.

Just add $75 worth of Brad Penn 20W50 and the teener will be good to go (once I remove the engine to find out what jammed the alternator?).

Eddie
morgan_harwell
I just read the 'oil filter study'. Specifically, the FRAM part. The author did not buy/disect a FRAM diesel specific filter, but the FRAM diesel filters I had been buying(PH2977A) were comparable in price ($7) to the 'Fram Tough Guard' which the author seemed to like:

"This filter has an improved filter element with more surface area (248 sqin), a heavy silicone anti-drainback valve with a good sealing surface, the same plastic pressure relief valve but with an integral screen to keep out large particles, and enough inlet holes for good flow. In my opinion, the only real drawback to this filter is that it is capped on each end with cardboard instead of metal."

No direct evidence, but it looks like I have been using 'Fram Tough Guard' oil filters on the same /6 engine for the past 200K miles.

FRAM good/bad, mute point now as the FRAM PH2977A went out of production a few years ago. It has taken me until now to use up my stash. I'll be using the Purolator now.
morgan_harwell
>I found a Purolator filter that measures correctly, but I haven't used it yet. I don't have it here with me to rattle off the part number.

Purolator L34631
Fits perfectly, very highly rated in the 'oil filter study' thread.
PeeGreen 914
I don't understand why you don't just buy Mann or Mahle confused24.gif They are about the same in $ and are the filters Porsche preffers.
jd74914
Aftermarket tank Jon. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.