Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings from newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
356driver
Hi Everyone,
I don't know what came over me but I just bought a 1974 914 1.8. Once I came to my senses I thought it would be a good idea say hi to this forum. My other Porsches are listed below.

My new acquisition is unmolested, known history, and is best described as a 20 footer with a lot going for it. Overall the car is in great shape with a solid, straight body and original interior in good condition. I'll be fixing a few little nits and will then hang onto it for weekend driving or whatever.

This forum looks like the place to be. I have already learned a lot about seat belts (I have a sticky inertia reel). I am impressed with the breadth of experience and practicle tips available.

My first question - the rear valance is missing. Do I replace it?

I look forward to associating with you all.

VegasRacer
Welcome. wavey.gif

Nobody will answer any of your questions until you post a picture of your car.

*(it's a rule, ya know) biggrin.gif
type47fan
welcome.png

Your decision to jump in with both feet is admirable! The main thing you'll notice is the unconditional acceptance and respect for diverse opinions expressed here.

The real valance question is your call. What do you think and want your vehicle/project to be? Personally, I don't like missing parts. Most members are always searching for the part that will make their ride complete. But, it's your call. . . .

Again, welcome and remember: be sure to post many pictures of your car.
JoeSharp
welcome.png Not sure, but i don't think John is telling the truth.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
TINCAN914
welcome.png aktion035.gif
olav
QUOTE(356driver @ Jun 16 2006, 05:05 PM) *

My first question - the rear valance is missing. Do I replace it?

I would say yes. Get one.
Bleyseng
Yes, replace the rear valance. Steel ones were OEM but Fiberglass ones are around.
So.Cal.914
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

There is the short or late style and the early style. I think they both look good but

on my 74 I am restoring Iam going with the early valance.

welcome.png
KaptKaos
welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Make it into an outlaw. They all are outlaws already anyways =)

Good having you.
Dave_Darling
The "porthole" valance was only 70-71, I think.

I ditched mine. I decided it was just trapping warm air under the trunk floor, and my trunk gets hot enough already!

--DD
Lou W
welcome.png By the way, did yours come with jackstands? biggrin.gif
JPB
I send a warm and friendly welcome from the Purist Minimalist Branch. We like to say,"less is more and more is slowing your ass down." I for one would say valance shmallansssssssay."

beer.gif Remove and feel the groove brother.
msglaigaie
Hello to the new guy from San Clem. Where are the pics of your 914?? What does it look like?? Oh yeah, unmolested. I used to date a girl who was unmolested, but she lost her valence too and we broke up. If you really need a valence, go glass. Lighter is faster. Welcome to the club, MSG L
356driver
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Jun 16 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Welcome. wavey.gif

Nobody will answer any of your questions until you post a picture of your car.

*(it's a rule, ya know) biggrin.gif

OK, OK. After a few days I stopped driving and got the camera out. Here it is as purchased. It's a little rough but not too bad. I'll start working on it this weekend. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.
beerchug.gif
Joe Bob
No Valance....polish the muffler....
GWN7
Nice car and welcome beerchug.gif

1) traps heat

2) slows you down acting as a scoop

3) hides the exaust

So if you just crusing find one you like and hide the exaust or if your racing don't worry about it and go faster and cooler

craig downs
Hey thats a nice looking car.

Oh and welcome.png Your going to love it hear. Its contagious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.