Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F &R Bumper Pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
driving.gif
Been thinking about this for some time. Front & rear bumper pads are some heavy-duty rubber pieces. How do you guys mantain/protect them (they aren't cheap).

Mine have been in "protected" storage for some time now & I'm not certain what the best preservatives are these days. Won't tell you the witches brew of things I've used in the past, but they are still original & ready to show.

So, besides 409 & a scotch Brite, what do YOU use - if anything?
RogerYellow914
I use Lexol. It seems to work fine. Apply liberally, then wipe off to get rid of "streaks".

-Roger
RogerYellow914
Should have said Lexol Vinylex.

-Roger
tod914
I use the same.. would like to find a better product for the rubber bumpers.. gets splotchy unless u wipe it down once a week.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 20 2006, 09:28 PM) *

I use the same.. would like to find a better product for the rubber bumpers.. gets splotchy unless u wipe it down once a week.

IMHO, Lexol makes very good leather restorer/preservative. But the vinyl product closely resembles Armorall - tried it once & gave up on it!

Abou 12 yars ago, I stumbled on Meguiar's Intensive Protectant. No streaks, no buffing, looks good. As I said earlier, I've used many witches brews - none of them DIDN't leave perpetual streaks.

Anyone else have a secret recipe?
GWN7
The secret to keeping them looking new is never get them wet.

There is a metal strip inside the top which acts as a form to which the rubber is added. Porsche never made the metal piece from galvanised metal or stainless steel and all they did to seal the bottom where the mounting studs extend from the bumper top is put a rubber disc in place over the studs.

Water gets up inside and runs along the metal strip and it starts to rust. That causes the wavey effect you see in the tops. When it gets real bad the top becomes crunchy (rubber coated rust) and then the studs break off.

If you replace your tops I would suggest that you seal the area around the mounting studs to stop water from getting up and inside.
bob91403
Get a can of spray rubber cement. Give them a light coat, seal them in a ziplock bag, then a brown paper bag, and put them on a shelf in your garage. Go to OSH and buy some 1/2" chrome hole plugs and put them in your bumper. They should last forever. rolleyes.gif
tod914
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 21 2006, 06:08 AM) *

Get a can of spray rubber cement. Give them a light coat, seal them in a ziplock bag, then a brown paper bag, and put them on a shelf in your garage. Go to OSH and buy some 1/2" chrome hole plugs and put them in your bumper. They should last forever. rolleyes.gif

But shouldnt all the harmfull impurities in the air be removed then stored in zero gravity?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 21 2006, 01:42 PM) *

QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 21 2006, 06:08 AM) *

But shouldnt all the harmfull impurities in the air be removed then stored in zero gravity?

av-943.gif

Where can I buy a can of zero gravity? Or does it come in a bottle?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.