Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: it's up....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
from all that i have heard, this is how it starts.... jack stands. all four corners.

trany has to come out so why not fix that pesky oil leak while i'm at it and take the whole shootin' match out right? can adjust the valves easier to right? besides, this is good practice for when the $5k engine arrives right? it won't be on jack stands for long right? can knock this out in a couple of weekends right? i will be back on the road before i know it right?

right? huh.gif

Click to view attachment
swl
right! but get used to riding that bike.
Joe Bob
mrs.K.gif Time to get that cute little Miata.... mrs.K.gif
So.Cal.914
It's a 914, right?

You welded the jack stands to the bottem of it ,right?

You needed a lawn ornament, right?

It would make a great mailbox, right?

The kids needed a junglegym anyway, right?

sad.gif Right.
JPB
Your motives are good young Patawan but your aproach is flawed! Don't put it on stands unless you have another one to drive. If you like to go slowly insane and loose all sence of reality in the process then your on the right track with one 914! You will find yourself spending to much time on this web site and less behind the wheel. Its all down hill from there bro.
scottb
gee, thanks for the support guys!!! KMA.gif

anyway, there is friggin' trany fluid all over the underside. will post pics as i progress today and tomorrow.

currently draining the trans and motor oil. taking tons of pics of hose connections and labeling everything. goal is to have everything disconnected and labeled today so tomorrow can be dedicated to the drop. taking my time and trying to make certain i don't fuch it up too much.

i scored one of chris foleys snappy engine/trans spatulas so i am going to let the floor jack and gravity bring the engine/trans down out of the car. then reverse that for the install. right?

anyway, wish me luck. ain't never dun' this buh fore. hoping to have successful removal and be beer3.gif by early tomorrow afternoon.

cheers,

scott
DNHunt
It'll go fine, just make sure everything is disconnected. If you want to reuse you engine seal, I like to undo the lip that goes under the tin first so it doesn't get stretched. Also as you lower the engine watch the fuel rails in the big nut that holds the trailing arm.

Dave
rhodyguy
a couple of old license plates slid down inbetween the point where the suspension ears and the fuel rails would meet, helps it slide right out. what's your engine eta?

k
DNHunt
I was waiting for Kevin to post that. It's a great trick he showed me.

Dave
scottb
thanks dave.....

all electronics and vacuum hoses labeled and disconnected.

cv's disconnected.

speedo and clutch cables are disconnected.

and now i am thinking of just dropping the trany and sticking the new one in. no eta on the new engine......

i know, i know, i am wussing out. but i don't want to be off the road for very long and i fear that if i drop the motor this pig will be on jackstands all summer!!!!
DNHunt
At this point drop the engine and separate the tranny with the engine out. It's much easier. It's easier to see and work. Getting the imput shaft of the tranny back into the pilot bearing with the engine in the car is no easy matter at least for me.

I really doubt you can save any time leaving the engine in the car. Just my opinion.

Dave
redshift
Just because you see something more than once..

Well... crazy is a state of existance, not a consensus.

(unless you are in THIS club)

Gluck buddy!!

M
scottb
hmmmmm faster and easier to just drop it all huh? idea.gif

well alrighty then. out it comes!

i have to go to my daughters t-ball game in a bit but i may go at this in earnest this afternoon.

hell, i could have it out today with some beer3.gif in me this evening with tomorrow being a goof around day!!!!

or i could put the new trany on, adjust the valves, fix the leak and put the pig back in!

or i could jsharp.gif and beer3.gif then yellowsleep[1].gif

what is the best/recommended way to drain the gas tank?

suggestions?
crash914
must be something in the air...mine is in the same position.

throttle cable snapped.
ok, so good excuse to pull the engine to swap new cylinder spacers and fix an oil leak..

hmmm while its out, how about adding flairs? ok, and to top it off, a new exhaust.

the hard part is the first cut or bolt. after that its easy.

call if you need any help.
herb
scottb
ok... draining the gas tank....

could have just capped things off but will be running new fuel lines so wanted things empty.

thought i only had a few gallons after last weekends run.... WRONG!!!!!

pulled the hose, ran it to my 5 gal can and wandered inside to cool off. about 10 min later out i come to gas stench, a full can and a gas puddle heading out the driveway.

SHIT!!!!

quick clamp the line, mop up, put gas in other car, restart siphon, wash up, deal with crazy gas buzz blink.gif and wait for the next fill.

this engine/trans will be out tomorrow. if i make good progress, i may blow off, i mean take a personal day, on monday and stick the bitch back in.

I SHALL NOT WELD JACK STANDS TO MY CAR!!!!!!

cheers,

scott
scottb
and now this thing is out.....

Click to view attachment
scottb
chris foley's spatual thingy for the engine/trans is the shizzle.....

i was able to put the car up and leave it. used the floor jack to control the rate of decent and it really wasn't tough at all. even doing it alone as a novice. thanks chris!

now to take a bit of a break. sprayed some pb blaster on the top trany bolt for the starter. can't get that bitch off for anything so good excuse to sit for a bit.

probs encountered:

rookie mistake, forgot the ground strap.

the trany mount bolts hung up on the trany ears. smacked them up with a hammer/screw driver and problem solved.

otherwise, pretty easy going. now going to build a stand to place then engine on so i can remove the jack, trany and spatula.

cheers.........
scottb
and the new trany is on. set the whole mess on the floor rather than trying to mess with it on the spatula. will just need some muscle to put it back on the spatula to reinstall.

now for some beer3.gif and a shower while the coals get hot for a couple of beer butt chickens for dinner.

happy fathers day all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.