Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drill Press
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I'm considering a drill press. I've been offered (to buy) a jig and bits to do 5 lug conversions to hubs & rotors.
How much hp do I need? I don't wanna spend a lot of $, but I don't want a POS.

Is a 1/2HP enough? 3/4, 1?

thanks.
indydad
Couldn't find a local shop to do the work? Are you going into buisness? I have a 1/2 hp craftsman variable speed and it works good for most stuff I do, but I'm not sure it would hold up for what you want.
Jerry
Indy
seanery
I talked to doc & cy and another local guy. They didn't have anyone local to recomend. So, yes, if I get this right, I'll offer this service to the 914 Community.
banderson
Get the oldest and heaviest one you can find. HP means nothing to a drill press. 1/2 hp would be fine. Its all about the torque. "How slow will it go?" will be the bigest question.

I have a 1960's delta and love it. It cost me about $350.
tdgray
Sean,

Look for industrial liquidation auctions in your area. There are tons of fabricators, tool and die shops and the like going out of business today. I am sure you can pick one up for next to nothing.

Also agree.gif Get one of the older models, 60's 70's. It needs to have a variable speed that goes from turtle to just short of 914 speed driving.gif Most of the older models can do this. I've got one in the shop that must be circa 1920's but it works great.

Todd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.