Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A/C compressor Quick Disconnects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I've been hitting JLO's V8 conversion pretty hard and I'm playing with the runs for the A/C hoses (I'm using garden hose to play around).

Since we 914 guys tend to drop our motors and transaxles to do maintenance and to clean things up, I was wondering if there is such a thing as quick disconnects for the A/C lines? Or do I have to plan out the drop, take the car to an A/C service center and have the lines evacuated, then drop the motor and do my thing, then hook it all back up and get it recharged?

Just asking.....I'll probably debug the motor/clutch/cooling system and drive it around before charging the A/C system.

Thanks,

Bill P.
David_S
Bill .....I have been working on tractors and farm equipment for about 20 years. I don't know how adaptable they would be, but some of the older Case tractors and John Deere tractors use an inline coupler. Not really what I would call a "quick coupler", but they are used to split the tractor without having to evacuate and recharge the system. I think they would work, if they could be adapted to the right sizes !!
nine14cats
QUOTE(David_S @ Jun 16 2006, 10:24 PM) *

Bill .....I have been working on tractors and farm equipment for about 20 years. I don't know how adaptable they would be, but some of the older Case tractors and John Deere tractors use an inline coupler. Not really what I would call a "quick coupler", but they are used to split the tractor without having to evacuate and recharge the system. I think they would work, if they could be adapted to the right sizes !!

David,

Thanks for the lead! I was thinking along the lines of a dry break system like those used for fuel and oil. I'll give Vintage air a call next week and also do a little snooping around John Deere. clap56.gif

Bill P.
So.Cal.914
When you go to pull the engine unbolt the compressor and hang in the engine

compartment with wire and system stays intact.
nine14cats
I'm using the Renegade serpentine belt system. I was hoping to pull the whole enchilada without even touching the tensioner on the belt system. But that is an alternative that may be better than evacuating and then recharging the system.

Not that I plan on dropping the motor every week.... biggrin.gif

Bill P.

Here's the belt system....
ClayPerrine
My father's 88 4.0L Jeep pickup has 2 neat little devices on the top of the compressor. They are charge fittings, with a cap covering a valve. Turn the valve one way and it closes the hole between the compressor and the lines. That way you can remove the compressor without discharging the system.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.