Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Series to run the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Luke
First off I'd like to say hello to the group ... and it looks like a great site ...

I bought my 914 with the intention of running it as a Canyon Hot Rod for lack of a better term ... but more and more I'm leaning on using it as a track car or a version of the two ...

I wanted to ask if you Guys / Gals if you had any options on the series you like running the 14's in ... SCCA, Vintage or PCA events .... and if there is, or can be much cross over ...... seems like every one has such different rules and set ups ...

My first thought was Vintage ... because I have a lot of buddies race that series .. but none are racing a Porsche ....

I have '74 2.0 built in late '73 .... Is the 2.0 worth dealing with ? I'd like to build a car I could "grow" into the classes ....

Hope I 'm not asking a question that comes up every week .....

Thanks ..... Dave

grantsfo
QUOTE(Luke @ Jun 17 2006, 11:46 AM) *

First off I'd like to say hello to the group ... and it looks like a great site ...

I bought my 914 with the intention of running it as a Canyon Hot Rod for lack of a better term ... but more and more I'm leaning on using it as a track car or a version of the two ...

I wanted to ask if you Guys / Gals if you had any options on the series you like running the 14's in ... SCCA, Vintage or PCA events .... and if there is, or can be much cross over ...... seems like every one has such different rules and set ups ...

My first thought was Vintage ... because I have a lot of buddies race that series .. but none are racing a Porsche ....

I have '74 2.0 built in late '73 .... Is the 2.0 worth dealing with ? I'd like to build a car I could "grow" into the classes ....

Hope I 'm not asking a question that comes up every week .....

Thanks ..... Dave

POC is a good organization
sww914
Ditto the POC. they're an LA based group that runs most of the tracks within driving distance of So. Ca.
Yes, you shoud give the 2.0 a chance. Nobody wins races the first time out, there's a lot of learning to be done, and a 2.0 914 is the perfect platform.
There's a POC guy, I think his name is Rick Yap, who's been running a CI class 914 2.0 for around 15 years. His car never breaks, he's super fast, and he makes it to many events every year. CI is a nearly stock class.
The POC website is www.porscheclub.com
They're running a STS event at the Streets of Willow next weekend. The STS is a short track series primarily for new drivers, and folks in their street cars that want a safe venue to drive on a track. There are usually 20 - 30 first or second timers there, and the attitude is HAVE FUN, SAFELY.
drew365
agree.gif
with what the other guys said. Running the Short Track Series with POC at the Streets of Willow is probably the easiest way to get on track, get some seat time and figure out the short comings of your car. All you really need is a long sleeve shirt, a helmet ( you can borrow one from the club for the first few events), and your car pepped so that it is not dumping oil or spare parts on the track.
BMXerror
Lovin the info because I have the same questions.
Mark D.
BMXerror
I didn't say stop! hehe. What are the class restrictions like in the short track series? Are there any? Because, I've got a 1970 1.7 that I would like to build to 2.0 later (when I have the money) but get some race experience with in the meantime. Also, what kind of experience is needed for those events? My curiosity is peaked.
Mark D.
Brad Roberts
Here is how I view it:

Show up with that you have currently and decide if you like it or not. Most people freak out after the first run session. They typically calm down after the second (if they dont bail out). Dont worry about where the car fits right now. That is the last of your concerns. Show up with a prepared safe car. Dont show up with a piece of shit.

The STS series is perfect for the 914. Not too demanding.

FYI: unless you are already signed up.. they dont accept rookies that need an instructor this late in the signup process.

B
Luke
Great advice !.... Thanks .....

I had no delusions about being Racer-X ... just looking for a fun place to give it a go out run and grow my skills ....

A lot of the reason I asked the question was I can't grab a helmet and run ...
The car I have is in good shape ... but hasn't been run in 20 years and the critters have had a field day with the FI ....

Sooo I need to make a plan on how I'm putting the car back on the tarmac ....

Since I'm going to have to do some rebuilding ... I want to make sure the things I do don't put me out of the running ( easy to do in vintage ) ... but make the car quick, fun and safe ....

Probably be better to start with a runner .... but for me, putting the car together is half the fun .... Maybe I need two ... :-)

Have to start looking in the POC events .....
jhadler
Before you start building, especially if you plan non-stock modifications, and seeing that the car is non-running at the moment, I'd go spectate at a few different events. Get a feel for which classes seem to provide what you're looking for. Take a look at SCCA, PCA, POC, NASA, and Vintage. When see a club/class you like. Read the rules, then read 'em again.

I know you're initial intent is to just have fun. But often times, a seemingly minor modification can have some serious impact on how your car is classed. And then it's not much fun to be a rolling road block for a zoomy fast class you didn't intend on getting into.

I don't know the So Cal clubs, but I'd listen to these folks here. And a club in one region may be great, and may suck in another. So, if you're shopping, pick the one you're most likley to run with...

-Josh2
drew365
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jun 19 2006, 12:32 PM) *

I didn't say stop! hehe. What are the class restrictions like in the short track series? Are there any? Because, I've got a 1970 1.7 that I would like to build to 2.0 later (when I have the money) but get some race experience with in the meantime. Also, what kind of experience is needed for those events? My curiosity is peaked.
Mark D.

As far as experience needed the answer is: Zero. This is a starter series intended to give guys that have a desire but no experience a chance to get on the track.
As for classes, don't worry about it to start. Someone will help you class your car at the event. You'll be in a class with other nearly stock 914's. Lots of guys peddaling as hard as they can. driving.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(drew365 @ Jun 19 2006, 03:37 PM) *

As far as experience needed the answer is: Zero. This is a starter series intended to give guys that have a desire but no experience a chance to get on the track.
As for classes, don't worry about it to start. Someone will help you class your car at the event. You'll be in a class with other nearly stock 914's. Lots of guys peddaling as hard as they can. driving.gif

Cool. I wasn't worried about classification beyond the point of 'will they let me in'. That's all I want right now is track time. I've already planned to do some solo racing, but since you guys brought this up, it sounds like a good addition to that. I also wasn't asking for RIGHT NOW anyways, because I've got the same delema that Luke's having. My car has been sitting for 7 years with a blown tranny and I'm trying to get it up and running and get all the bugs worked out. ( #*@%in D-Jet). biggrin.gif I've never even driven a 914 before. So track time is still a ways away. Still, I need to do the research now. Thanks for the info. It's something I'll look into.
And Luke, where are you at in So Cal? We both seem to be in the same boat, so maybe we should hook up and watch a couple events together. Just an idea. PM me if you're interested. Thanks again guys, and sorry for the thread hijack Luke. hijacked.gif
Mark D.
sww914
If you change your FI to a carb or carbs, you'll automatically be in V-5 with the POC, rather than one of the stock classes. There are 2 big disadvantages to this class at first, one, you'll be required to have a higher level of safety equipment for any V class or GT class than the stock classes, and the V-5 guys are pretty fast. A few of years ago, V-5 was faster than V-4, and almost as fast as V-3, even though V-5 is the lower class.
In V classes, you need a fireproof driving suit, gloves, and an approved roll bar, so you can see that the initial investment to get on the track is much greater.
I don't think that it's fair, that if you have a 914 that you added carbs to, a common street modification, that that one thing should automatically put you into such a high class, but those are the rules.
Luke
The point about minor modifications pushing you into another class has been a big concern ...

I've only gone thru VARA's rules and it doesn't take much ... I don't mind adding the rollbar or belts ... not quiet sure why a fuel cell has to be FIA approved ? ... Just doubled the cost for that little sticker ....

To bad going to carburation alone throws you into a fast class with POC ... Do they require the use of a cell with the other fire and safety upgrades ....
Couldn't find much on their rules online ... guess I need to join ...

Bit of a catch-22 ... Getting pushed up and becoming a " Rolling Road Block " like Josh2 said .. or spend a bunch of money to salvage the FI and not make any real improvement in the car ....

Mark ... no problem jumping in ... good to know I'm not the only one trying to figure it out ... :-) Not sure if work will let me make Willow this weekend ...

Just out of curiosity ... what class and series are you guys running ???
jhadler
QUOTE(Luke @ Jun 20 2006, 11:31 AM) *

The point about minor modifications pushing you into another class has been a big concern ...

I've only gone thru VARA's rules and it doesn't take much ... I don't mind adding the rollbar or belts ... not quiet sure why a fuel cell has to be FIA approved ? ... Just doubled the cost for that little sticker ....

Well, that's to keep people from using a pony keg as a gas tank. Yes, I've seen it done... auxiliary equipment wasn't a fire extinguisher, it was a bag of marshmallows for WHEN the car combusted. Yes, it happened. No, it wasn't pretty.

Bit of a catch-22 ... Getting pushed up and becoming a " Rolling Road Block " like Josh2 said .. or spend a bunch of money to salvage the FI and not make any real improvement in the car ....

It may cost less than you think to salvage the FI. Go through and test everything, the old D-Jet FI is pretty rugged, the MPS is really the only super expensive replacement part. And this non-club is very good at helping fellow members out.

Just out of curiosity ... what class and series are you guys running ???

I run mostly autox with SCCA, Street Prepared category. My car can run PCA in Production category. Most of the mods I've done are for handling, not power. I also run TT's, but that's more for fun than for points. As in SCCA TT classing, I'm way outgunned... All handling and minimal power is stellar for autox, but on even a medium sized road race track, I get blown away on the straights... PCA might have more favorable classing though...

-Josh2
sww914
The POC rules are here
http://porscheclub.com/pdf/2006/2006GCRsRev3.pdf
They list the allowed modifications for Stock, Improved, and Prepared.
A 914 1.7 or 1.8 starts out as an "A" car, 0 points, a 914-2.0 is a "C" car, 4 points, a 914-6 is a "G" car, 12 points, and then you add any mods listed in any area, so- any "prepared" mod automatically puts you up into prepared, any "V" mod automatically puts you there, and so on.
Luke
sww914, thanks for the regs ... must have looked right past it ......

Josh2, I not opposed to using cell at all ... it was a comment about it having to be "FIA approved " ... The regular cells that they use for NHRA, SCORE, circle track ... etc. You would think a cell that works for a 200+ mph dragster would be good for a 100 mph road car ... I have an equipment manufacturing friend who sez only difference in his product is that you are paying for the " Tag" ......
but what the heck do I know .... Cell maybe a different story ....

You guys going thru all this before sure helps clarify the set-ups/rules ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.