Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An important question about my motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
Spent the day today checking and furthering progress on the motor. Finals now being finished I feel nows the time to deafeat this ongoing project.

cleaned and mic'd the new and now balanced pistons, checked the rod bushing opening, seemed to be in spec though that was a tough bit to measure.
brer
This is the kicker.
measured the radial play at the flywheel (as shown) by prying from the bottom to find the freeplay.

The result was a solid .005-.006 movement up and down. blink.gif

What do you guys think?

One source tells me any more that .002 and its considered worn. .007 is worn out.

another friend of mine questions the conclusion of this measurement.

So...... need new bearings??

Thats the big decision i need to make right now.
To help this assessment i have attemped to shoot the lobes of the cam, which look to be showing some wear. Maybe the pictures are worthless.. but at least they are in focus. beer.gif
brer
cam lobes
ClayPerrine
If you are that far into it.. let DWD take over and just disassemble the case halves, replace the cam and the bearings.

C'mon.. you know you really want to........ happy11.gif
brer
lifters seems to be still decent, no pitting just a little dish in a couple.
brer
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 17 2006, 05:10 PM) *

If you are that far into it.. let DWD take over and just disassemble the case halves, replace the cam and the bearings.

DWD>???

I want to... and i dont.
really its just whether i "need" to drop another $600.

confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brer @ Jun 17 2006, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 17 2006, 05:10 PM) *

DWD>???

I want to... and i dont.
really its just whether i "need" to drop another $600.

confused24.gif

I was joking before, but now I'm not.

There is never time or money to do it right... but there is always time and even more money to do it over.....

brer
this is true for sure.

Bleyseng
Dished! they should be replaced with a new cam and matching lifters.
click on this link

While you are in there replace the main bearing to tighten up the slop you measured and check the bearing crush with plasticgauge.

gregrobbins
Bearings are cheap: crank, cam and rod are less than $100 from Jake. New cam and lifters less than $300 from Web Cam or Jake. $600 seems like a high estimate unless you are looking to buy "trick" stuff.

If you do it right now, you won't worry about something going wrong later.
brer
$600 was a guess, that inclueded the above mentioned parts and having the case work and rods done.

Yes, I know it makes sense.
Ration dictates to do it while i'm here, now.

Its Hard to decide when to spend the cash and when not to.
Especially since i'd like to be able to drive it again sometime soon.
Bleyseng
All the parts can be ordered from Jake and be had by the end of next week if in stock, most 1.7L stuff is.

Rods are sold on exchange basis so you just mail yours back.

Play it safe and rebuild all of it now and then run it!

Don't know it you are running Djet but the 9550 cam really wakes up the engine.
Demick
Some of your lifters show heavy wear. Your cam shows normal wear for a high mileage motor. Neither should be reused. Fix it right the first time. Just your peace of mind after the rebuild is worth the $600.

Demick
bottomend
The pics of the cam and lifters could be used to demonstrate what a text book worn-out set look like! Welcome to rebuild time!

If you're looking to save a bit of money on the cam/lifters, you could give European Motorworks a call. Thier set up is about half of whats been posted here.
brer
I appreciate the input guys.
Looks like i've decided to take it apart after all.

Now, on to the good part of deciding whats gonna happen once i do take it apart.

smile.gif

search engine time.
barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.