Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where's the Porsche RS Spyder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Does anyone know why it's not there? I looked but could find no info. Checked Penske's page, Patrick Long's page, the ALMS page confused24.gif
Jeroen
they already said they wouldn't run LeMans this year
I hoped they'd sneak it in at the last minute (Porsche style), but they didn't...
DonTraver
Doesn't much matter, Speed channel lost the picture for the last hour.
Brett W
You know POrsche showed up with a neat new car but they are still playing second fiddle to Audi. Why bother playing in LMP2. Look at all of the TV time Audi is getting. Nobody is interested in what goes on in the kiddie pool. They want to watch the big boys in LMP1 duke it out, or should I say watch Audi kick the crap out of everyone else. Maybe Porsche should stay out of motorsports until they decide they want to play with the big boys.

Yes I kow they won at Mid-Ohio this year.
krazykonrad
I was really hoping that the RS would be there. Oh well there's always next year.
Konrad
rwjames
The Porsche hauler was being used this weekend by some engineers. They had to take the new 4-door Panamera prototype to a Wal-Mart parking lot to see how many bags of groceries the trunk would hold. They don't want to put it on the market unless it can compete with that new Hyundai Sonota.

Those Italians may wear too much red clothing and gold necklaces, thus exposing lots of chest hair, but at least they stick with their racing roots.

At the end of the day, Porsche is all about the almighty deutschmark. If you don't believe that, take your pre 1990 Porsche to the dealer and see what kind of service you get. That is if they even acknowledge your existence.
john rogers
I though I remembered Roger Penske saying in an interview that the LMP2 car was for the American series only, at least for the first year.
BMXerror
My guess from porsche's history is that they're not trying to play in the 'kiddie pool'. I think they're trying to make a challenge for themselves. They could kick ass if they fielded a P1 car, but winning overall with a P2 car is really saying something. I think THAT'S the reputation they're trying to build. Besides, the 550 Spyder could almost hang with the big boys back when Porsche was a reletively young company with little motorsport experience. If I know Porsche at all, this was planned out for some reason, because there's no such thing as a half-assed factory Porsche effort.
Mark D.
dinomium
Kidddie pool? there is not a single run group at this race that isn't top drawer. Porsche cannot afford to not win. They can run a be competitive in the Lemans series in the USA, but to win (even in LMP2) La Sarthe means you are all or nothing!
Thack
The RS Spyder broke twice this year so far. The car is not ready for a 24 hour race. Here are some pics from the Houston ALMS race. I took pics in their pits. The rear ends are weak and need some looking into.
dinomium
QUOTE(Thack @ Jun 17 2006, 11:36 PM) *

The RS Spyder broke twice this year so far. Here are some pics from the Houston ALMS race. I took pics in their pits. The rear ends are weak and need some looking into.

I think that is a gt1 evo... very kewl but old tech.
Thack
Sorry had the wrong pic. Edited my post for your enjoyment smile.gif
dinomium
QUOTE(Thack @ Jun 17 2006, 11:43 PM) *

Sorry had the wrong pic. Edited my post for your enjoyment smile.gif

don't get me wrong, I love the gt1! but that is a sweet shot of the transaxle
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.