Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing the tranny with engine still in the car.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
I just had to let everyone know that I did it, took notes and pictures, and it wasn't difficult. In fact, I would rate it easier than dropping the engine!

I also changed the firewall bushing -- soak it in boiling water for ~30 seconds, place against the firewall, put 24mm socket against it, strike w/hammer, and about 3/4 of it slips in the hole. I used the butt end of a small screwdriver to pop the other 1/4 the rest of the way into the hole. No problem smash.gif

Tomorrow I'll swap in my rebuilt tranny and, yes, I will take pictures and notes of the install though it will basically be a "install in reverse order" smile.gif

G'nite!
Mueller
it's been asked and ansewered here a few times that it can be done smile.gif

done it myself on V8 powered 914 once....took about 30 minutes total to change the clutch....air tools and 2 people smash.gif
hmeeder
Had my trans in and out many a time without pulling the motor. If I have to remove the engine, I prefer to drop both as a unit, but I find reinstallation much easier as separate parts (since I pretty much solo all the work on my car, those heavy awkward parts are easier to maneuver when they are apart.)

What Haynes said you can't do and what actually can't be done are two very different things. It also says that you can't rebuild your rear brakes. BS.
736conver
Yep did it on my 6 conversion once. Braced the engine and dropped the trans.
computers4kids
confused24.gif That's what I get for not reading the manual...I didn't knowI couldn't do it. Been there...done it several times by myself--I don't see what the big deal is (remove and reinstalling just the tranny)??????????
Air_Cooled_Nut
Tranny back in, no problems. Glad I cleaned it when it was out, looks really nice now...too bad the road gets the only good veiw. Gotta order new CV gaskets, serated washers for the bolts, and a rear linkage cover (that plastic cover the shift rod goes into @ the tranny) before I can put the rear tires back on terra firma.

Installed my old Momo Prototipo steering wheel (just a tad smaller than stock) and rotated my speedo counter-clockwise a little to better see the legal mph numbers. Getting her ready for the WCC beer.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 18 2006, 12:58 AM) *

it's been asked and ansewered here a few times that it can be done smile.gif

done it myself on V8 powered 914 once....took about 30 minutes total to change the clutch....air tools and 2 people smash.gif

That's Awesome!!! I'll be over when my clutch goes. rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.