Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
T wing
I have no idea what #1 is, but the threaded part on the end is all woobly. #2 just looks like it ought to have something attached to it. Oh yeah, the car's a 72 1.7Click to view attachment
ejm
#1 is an oil pressure sender

#2 is a ground terminal I can't recall ever being used in a 914
davep
#1 is in the location of the oil pressure sender, but it is not the correct one. Try replacing it with the correct sender and boot.
T wing
So that could explain why the oil light on my dash isn't working too then, couldn't it?
T wing
uh, what am I supposed to have here. The haynes manual only speaks of a oil pressure switch (which it doesn't even show). Pelican has this, the one at the top of the page? Auto Atlanta has a fair amount of stuff (couldn't link to the search results), though I've heard not the greatest stuff about them. Anyway, I think the switches just turn the green light on and off and the more expensive ones send the actual pressure (assuming that I have a gauge to show it). Oh yeah, and what's the wire that is supposed to hook up to it? There isn't one there at all right now.
rhodyguy
call bow-wow in seattle for the oil pressure sending unit. they should have the correct one. no need to pay shipping and wait 5, 6, 7 days.

k
Dave_Darling
The Pelican one is the stock switch. There are larger and more expensive senders that can feed a gauge, but they don't fit well in the stock location.

The wire for the light is green with a red stripe, I believe. I forget which harness it's in in the 72s; they had slightly different wiring than most other 914s.

--DD
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 19 2006, 07:33 AM) *

call bow-wow in seattle for the oil pressure sending unit. they should have the correct one. no need to pay shipping and wait 5, 6, 7 days.

k

agree.gif

Just swing by AutoVise in Lynnwood. It's a cheap part to begin with and they will have one for the type 4 engine. It's suppose to be an idiot light sending switch.
T wing
Thanks a lot guys, the NAPA DC which happens to be on my way home from work had one. Dave got it on the wire too, red and green. Now I've got both of my idiot lights working biggrin.gif

I'm a bit suprised at the amont of work that went into putting the old part in there though, random hose clam and everything. I think that some PO was trying to rig a temp gauge up too or something. Oh well, works great now.
JPB
We may not be the wisest bunch but the purist minimalists say scrap the part and get some good old carb power my friend.

beer.gif Pure suds, pure symplicity.
T wing
QUOTE(JPB @ Jun 19 2006, 05:15 PM) *

We may not be the wisest bunch but the purist minimalists say scrap the part and get some good old carb power my friend.

beer.gif Pure suds, pure symplicity.

Didn't even do anything but trigger the green light on the dash (now I just have to figure out how to trigger the grreen light that hangs at the intersection). My FI is working pretty well and a hell of a lot smother that the dual carbed 914 that I used to have. Whatever keeps 'em running though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.