Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Low beams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zen motorcycle
I recently purchased a 73 2.0 and last night took it out for the first night drive. To my amusement the low beam headlights are not working. High beam and fogs are fine. When I fully depress for high beams both low and high come on. I have looked around and seen mention of both the headlight relay and the turn signal switch. I am still waiting on my haynes manual so can anybody point me in a direction for cleaning the turn signal switch? Other ideas are also welcome. I will be cleaning contacts just because today as well.
ejm
Not sure what you mean by "fully depress". Pull the signal stalk towards you with the lights on and you should hear the hi/low beam relay click. The relay is a square one on top of the fuse panel. If the relay clicks it's not the switch.
rhodyguy
unless the stock wiring has been altered, the fogs should only illuminate while the headlights are in low beam mode.

k
McMark
Check the fuse panel first.

Kevin is right, if you had the fog light switch on, you might be seeing the fogs turn on when you depress the high/low switch.
zen motorcycle
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 18 2006, 09:56 AM) *

Not sure what you mean by "fully depress". Pull the signal stalk towards you with the lights on and you should hear the hi/low beam relay click. The relay is a square one on top of the fuse panel. If the relay clicks it's not the switch.

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

I have gremlins

Just went out to se if I heard it click between high and low and they are both working now. It is the stock wiring so fogs are not a concern. Could this malfunction if the relay is getting hot? Just looking for ideas now.

Thanks and much appreciated
zen motorcycle
Well,
I either have a bad relay or faulty wiring/PO. I reversed the low and High beam connectors on the relay and everything is working well. Does anyone have a wiring diagram if the headlight switch? I still haven't been able to find one

TIA.

If this double posts sorry.
markb
QUOTE(zen motorcycle @ Jun 18 2006, 10:26 PM) *

Well,
I either have a bad relay or faulty wiring/PO. I reversed the low and High beam connectors on the relay and everything is working well. Does anyone have a wiring diagram if the headlight switch? I still haven't been able to find one

TIA.

If this double posts sorry.

Check over on the Bird Board. There are wiring diagrams there.
Tobra
sounds like a bad relay. The headlight relay is a squarish one on the fuse block, seems to me it was the one all the way to the R side
cobra94563
I had the same, intermittent low beams - mine was the dimmer relay (I guess referred to as the headlight relay.)

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

Look at:
>>http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_74B.jpg

>>http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Electrical/914_electric_74A.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.