Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Constant Heat in the cockpit...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Hey all...

I just had a bunch of work done to my car's engine. In doing so they dropped the engine out, and in doing so had to disconnect everything.

I think that in putting it back together they messed something up with the heating system, because now no matter what I do with the controls in the cockpit, hot air is always pumping either to my feet or my face.

I'm not too familiar with the way the flapper valves, heating system, etc is set up..

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to check???

BETTER YET.... ANY DFW boys wanna have a wrench day? I'll by the beer beer.gif (and lunch jsharp.gif ).

Doug
rhodyguy
the heat valves are controled by the lever in the floor to the rear of the shift lever, not the dash controls. up on, down closed. the control wire connections at the valves may be misadjusted, keeping the valves partially open. the little gaskets in the valves are usually shot. climb under and have a look.

k
zen motorcycle
Wrench Day sounds great. You buy the beer and I will make sure it gets drunk or I will one of the two! beer3.gif

Maybe check the cables on the heater boxes make sure they aren't hung up on anything and are routed correctly since you justt dropped the engine. Can you manually move the controls on the heater boxes? It has been a while since I have been under one with heat connected so these are just general ideas.
Pat Garvey
At the flapper end of the cable is a cable attached metal barrel about an inch long. This should be secured to a u-shaped hinged device on the flapper valve by a set screw. If it's not screwed down, or is screwed down incorrectly you're going to let heat into the cabin.

Check both sides. Could be that themechanic, in haste, forgot about tightening them down. It's one of the last things you do when you R&R a 914 motor & easily forgotten.
dagdal1967
Well, I climbed under the car yesterday and the passenger side flapper isn't even connected to the cable. The driver side is connected, but I believe that it isn't adjusted right.

I need to get it up on jack stands (or a hoist) to look for sure, neither of which I have! :-(

Any local DFW guys have access to a hoist?

Doug
r_towle
you probably need to recondition the flapper valves.

For the summer, and in about ten minutes time...

reach under the car with a screw driver and remove the flex tub that connects the heater box to the body of the car...there are two, one per side.

you will have no heat at all, but in texas, in the summer, you wont need it.

you can also take off the flapper box while you are at it...its not simple, but its two screws/bolts...one in the top of the tube, its hard to get to, but you can get it without dropping the motor.

The one thing you will want to look at is that now that you have removed the flapper valve...either add a tube or ensure that the waste heat that is coming from the heater box on the passenger side is pointing away from the fuel pump...

The fuel pump can get vapor lock of it gets to hot...and the added heat from the heater box is what will cause it...

the car will be safe and will drive fine without the flapper boxes, cable tie up the heater actuator cables so they dont get caught in anything.

Now you have all summer to redo and powdercoat the flapper boxes...

Rich
SGB
Well...
On mine, the "flapper" on the flapper valve has a circular sealing ring (looks like asbestos actually) that has come lose. In mine, those sealing rings had fallen into the valve body so that the flapper didn't seat. When I took outthe rings, it helped alot, but did NOT provide a very good sealing surface. Anybody got any good suggestions to replace those sealing rings?
dagdal1967
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 19 2006, 09:38 AM) *

you probably need to recondition the flapper valves.

For the summer, and in about ten minutes time...

<<< Stuff deleted >>>

Now you have all summer to redo and powdercoat the flapper boxes...

Rich

Thanks Rich! I'll do that. I still need to get some jack stands or a hoist to get to them though.. If no one local can help, i'll need to try to convince the guy at my local oil change shop (a VW fan) to let me use his bay to take the flapper boxes off.

D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.