Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early morning white smoke, shakey shakey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boldylocks
To ye wise gentlemen of the 914world.com BBS, I kneel before you pray.gif with the following observations.
First, if I may, I must say thanks to the man above me for selling me a strong running 1.7L engine. Most importantly, a running engine that also appears to be pretty free of leaks. smilie_pokal.gif
Second, after driving the car for 10-20 minutes the car idles hard. Meaning, I feel as though I'm sitting in an old Vette and with every turn of the engine, I rumble. sad.gif
Third, at times, especially right after putting in the engine, when I start the car a nice pretty puff of white smoke shoots out of my exhaust pipe. This could be cool if I could get it to produce one BIG WHITE SMOKE RING, but I cant. barf.gif

So, heres what I think, and trust me what I think ....well I wont say.

I need a tune up. confused24.gif -any links to a good tune up discussion on dis here board?

Otherwise, all is pretty well and thanks to everyone on the board for knowing more than anyone should about these cars. dance.gif
need4speed
I thought "white smoke" meant a cracked block, and coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. . . beer.gif
MarkV
What is coolant ? laugh.gif
Boldylocks
Well, actually I thought it was one of my skateboarder buds hiding in my trunk with some of his white smoke creating materials -but I checked that out as well.

Its intermittent, and for the most part the 'smoke' part is almost over. perhaps it was just something being burned off from an engine that had been sitting for nearly 4 months. chatsmiley.gif
redshift
Most of them smoke a little bit, is it more than that?

Overnight, oil sneaks by the rings, and burns when the engine warms up. This happens on most cars, in some situations.

It's been very mild weather here, and my under 500 mile 2.0 appears to do it after a day of sitting, even if only for a few seconds, mostly condensation in the exhaust.

(FROM THE RADIATOR LEAK)

smile.gif

M
Boldylocks
Yeah, the whole over night first puff of lung clearing smoke isnt that big a deal as long as I can assume its semi-expected.

the hard idle after 10 - 20minutes is probably a tune up sign.
TMorr
I thought White Smoke means there is a new Pope ..............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.