Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk/Boot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Pat Garvey
OK, it's about time to start some REAL documentation of these original cars! This'll be a nailed thread. If this one works out OK, & it's for rear trunks(boots) only, we'll expand to other areas. This is for the person who's trying to determine if the boot is correct, comparing to other years, etc. I expect some transitional differences in the early years, so disagreements may ensue - we're here to learn, so who cares. Show use what you have & it doesn't have to be concours. I'm going to try to keep this somewhat calendar-based.

Here's what we're looking for first: 914 four & six boots from start of production through 1971. If you have photos, send them. If possible, show the unsulation pad also. Multiple pic's OK.

Show us what you have!
1970 Neun vierzehn

How's this? A 914/4, build date 01/70.
Pat Garvey
Paul,
what about your insulation pad - where is it?
1970 Neun vierzehn
The insulation pad(wots it supposed to insulate against? heat wacko.gif noise wacko.gif ) is a pale yellow-beige foam material that is totally unremarked and not deserving of using up my digital camera "space" poke.gif Subsequent to the above photo, it has been re-installed by a highly competent Porsche technician, who further re-installed the "mouse fuzz" carpet pad. If you would like me to post pictures of the aforementioned 914 "parts", we will have to wait for my digital camera to be returned by the factory, as it has needed some "service" work. sad.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 19 2006, 05:58 PM) *

The insulation pad(wots it supposed to insulate against? heat wacko.gif noise wacko.gif ) is a pale yellow-beige foam material that is totally unremarked and not deserving of using up my digital camera "space" poke.gif Subsequent to the above photo, it has been re-installed by a highly competent Porsche technician, who further re-installed the "mouse fuzz" carpet pad. If you would like me to post pictures of the aforementioned 914 "parts", we will have to wait for my digital camera to be returned by the factory, as it has needed some "service" work. sad.gif

Ahh, but it DOES make a difference! As you'll see in the ensuing years 914's, there is a difference of opinions on which is correct. Besides, we want anyone seeking information to get the full package. So, jack too!
Bleyseng
How about a 1972 rear trunk 916 now?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 20 2006, 08:44 AM) *

How about a 1972 rear trunk 916 now?

Geoff,

Thanks for a great post - whose car?

I'll be nailing another "Level 1" for 72-74 cars, so I'll eventually move your post there. Thanks!!!!! Pat
Pat Garvey
OK, now for the next group - 1972-1974. Please include insulation pads in your photos - this could get interesting. icon_bump.gif
Pat Garvey
Here's the place for '75-'76 trunks (rear). Please include photos of the insulation pad.
Bleyseng
Its the Alaska Blue 916 which I think was sold in the last year or so. I am not sure who owns it nowdays or if it really did sell. I saw it once, incredible car.
Pat Garvey
1972 914-4. June 72 production.
boxstr
I spoke to the owner early this year. Motor was apart and car was not for sale at the time.
CCL
JeffBowlsby
These photos are really a great way to show the trunk Pat. SO MANY times the photographs are taken from behind the car and the rear trunk wall hides the most critical lowest portions of the trunk where the any damage can be hidden. Your trunk is awesome and shows all the detail.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 24 2006, 08:34 AM) *

These photos are really a great way to show the trunk Pat. SO MANY times the photographs are taken from behind the car and the rear trunk wall hides the most critical lowest portions of the trunk where the any damage can be hidden. Your trunk is awesome and shows all the detail.

Thanks for the compliment, Jeff.
One thing I'm trying to do by showing my rear trunk is that it has the short foam piece & it's a fairly late '72. Per Brett Johnson's book I shouldn't have it - should be a full, black foam pad (per his book). Brett's book is a VERY valuable source, but you can't take it as gospel for all things. This non-club is a far more reliable source of originality info & I want to make certain that the nuances are documented.

Now, who HAS a '72 with the full foam pad? If you do, please send pic's & we'll sort it out. Your photos are for documentation - it doesn't have to be a perfect trunk. Let's see the '73 &'74 cars too.
BS Chairman
This is my 1970/6s trunk. As many shots as I thought you might want before bordem. Yes I know, I also saw the spot in the right corner will address right away. Why two colors of paint? Camera setting!
Gary
BS Chairman
Here's the rest of the story.
Gary
TJB/914
Question:

What's that square (yellow) hole cut out on the driver side padding showing the yellow trunk metal in the trunk padding?? What's the purpose & why??? Just curious??

Tom
Nice looking trunk!!!!
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jun 25 2006, 03:33 PM) *

Question:

What's that square (yellow) hole cut out on the driver side padding showing the yellow trunk metal in the trunk padding?? What's the purpose & why??? Just curious??

Tom
Nice looking trunk!!!!

So the pad sets fulsh with floor and the carpet will lay flat.
Gary
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 25 2006, 03:33 PM) *

Here's the rest of the story.
Gary

boldblue.gif

This is why I wanted to do this!!!!!! Thanks Gary!

Everything in place, so the newbie can see what they're up against - beautiful. If it had been filthy, I wouldn't have cared - the parts are there. Love it!

Are all early 914's yellow? Not that I dislike it, but red really is better (heh, heh).
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 25 2006, 07:52 PM) *

Question:

Tom
Nice looking trunk!!!!

Gary

Y'know, I've never tried to figure out why that "square" is there, & I'm not crawling under the car to figure it out - I'm old y'know. So, what's underneath?
BS Chairman
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 25 2006, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(BS Chairman @ Jun 25 2006, 07:52 PM) *

Question:

Tom
Nice looking trunk!!!!

Gary

Y'know, I've never tried to figure out why that "square" is there, & I'm not crawling under the car to figure it out - I'm old y'know. So, what's underneath?

Damn, If I know! I'm old too. welcome.png
TJB/914
Let me put this in better words.

An old dude beer.gif asks two old farts drunk.gif to get off their rocking chair to look under the 914.
We now need help from one of you younger guys. Help popcorn[1].gif

Tom
McMark
I have this thing in my head saying that the bump is provisions for the SportO tranny. But I can't remember for sure.
McMark
One additional bit of info that I would think is pertinent is the application of the seam sealer. Most cars have it sprayed in, some have it brushed in. I don't know if it's an early/late thing or a 4/6 thing. Detail shots?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Since I'm acutely aware of rear trunk finishes, I've noticed that the "finish" on some of the seams in the trunk of Gary's /6 is very different from those on my /4. Look especially around the areas for the shock mounting points. Attributable to /6 vs /4 construction techniques? Difference in build dates? Change in specification? Difference in the individual who actually "finished" off the trunk seams? We need more original pics of these early cars.

BTW, Gary, what's the build date on your /6? My /4 was built 01/70.
Bleyseng
The 4's had the seam sealer sprayed on but the sixes have it gooped on. I guess Porsche didn't have a seamsealer spray rig....so on a handmade car slop it on with your hands. dry.gif
BS Chairman
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 26 2006, 07:46 AM) *

Since I'm acutely aware of rear trunk finishes, I've noticed that the "finish" on some of the seams in the trunk of Gary's /6 is very different from those on my /4. Look especially around the areas for the shock mounting points. Attributable to /6 vs /4 construction techniques? Difference in build dates? Change in specification? Difference in the individual who actually "finished" off the trunk seams? We need more original pics of these early cars.

BTW, Gary, what's the build date on your /6? My /4 was built 01/70.

'1970 Neun vierzehn', I have a build date of 4/70. I think because of my years in Fisher Body that it could be all the above, but thats just my thoughts.
Gary
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 26 2006, 03:38 AM) *

One additional bit of info that I would think is pertinent is the application of the seam sealer. Most cars have it sprayed in, some have it brushed in. I don't know if it's an early/late thing or a 4/6 thing. Detail shots?

I don't know about sprayed or brushed. Mine looks like it was applied like household caulking - "gooshed" from a tube & lathered.
JeffBowlsby
The round bump for the sporto is towards the front of the trunk. You can see it in this photo.

The small square bump is over the muffler...what could it be?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 26 2006, 08:56 AM) *

The 4's had the seam sealer sprayed on but the sixes have it gooped on. I guess Porsche didn't have a seamsealer spray rig....so on a handmade car slop it on with your hands. dry.gif

agree.gif i have a '70 /4 and a '70 /6 and the /4 has the seam sealer sprayed on, the /6 had it brushed on.

also, the /6 generally has *much* less seam sealer than the /4.
bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
Well then, maybe my car got the "wrong" engine! biggrin.gif From the minimalist application of "seam sealer", to its obvious hand application, I must have a /6 chassis. Now, where's my 2 liter "6" engine? laugh.gif
tod914
12/74 build year light ivory 2.0 carpet

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tod914
foam pad and jack
Click to view attachment
tod914
other and exterior

Click to view attachment
tod914
Pat feel free to delete what you want, figured more is better than less.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 27 2006, 07:01 PM) *

Pat feel free to delete what you want, figured more is better than less.

boldblue.gif
Thank you, thank you! Now we're rolling.

Check 'em out folks - look at the differences. Look & learn - these are great!
73Phoenix20
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentThese are old photos...I will try to shoot some better ones soon. 03/1973 production. Full foam trunck pad...
RustyWa
My old '75 2.0L... Build date 01/75

With carpet..
RustyWa
Of pad...

sixerdon
Nice pictures Todd,
Two things of note.
1. Notice the wiring harness running along the floor of the trunk, up against the rear bulkhead where a lot of water can collect. Early models ran along the rear shelf. When was the change over? (Mine is like yours Todd)

2. Notice the aluminum rivets holding the white roof top storage bracket. Early models were fastened by 2 10mm bolts. When those brackets break on later cars, where do you get the rivets? When was the change over?

Don
tod914
Not another rivet quest! Don, only 1 side on mine has the rivets, the other is bolts like you stated. I guess somewhere along the line one side was replaced.
sixerdon
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jun 28 2006, 05:04 AM) *

Not another rivet quest! Don, only 1 side on mine has the rivets, the other is bolts like you stated. I guess somewhere along the line one side was replaced.

Love it! Which side is your 10 mm bolts on??

Don
tod914
Right side plastic latch
sixerdon
Tod, I checked my '76 parts car and my '75 and they have those rivets. Or are they? They can also be plugs. Whatever they are, I have never taken them off.
My '74 parts car has the 10mm bolts with a square nut welded to the backside of the engine bulkhead. That seems to be same with all the earlier cars.
If your 10mm bolt is fastened to a removeable nut, then sometime in the past, the rivet (or plug) was drilled out to replace a broken clip.
Is there anyone else who can add to this?

Don
tod914
Don, the rivets where drilled out and replaced with the bolts and nuts. I guess I get 1 demerit lol.
McMark
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 28 2006, 04:55 AM) *

1. Notice the wiring harness running along the floor of the trunk, up against the rear bulkhead where a lot of water can collect. Early models ran along the rear shelf. When was the change over? (Mine is like yours Todd)

I'm guessing it's a 75/76 thing because the rear shelf got blocked by extra braces with the addition of rubber bumpers.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 28 2006, 10:26 PM) *

Tod, I checked my '76 parts car and my '75 and they have those rivets. Or are they? They can also be plugs. Whatever they are, I have never taken them off.
My '74 parts car has the 10mm bolts with a square nut welded to the backside of the engine bulkhead. That seems to be same with all the earlier cars.
If your 10mm bolt is fastened to a removeable nut, then sometime in the past, the rivet (or plug) was drilled out to replace a broken clip.
Is there anyone else who can add to this?

Don

boldblue.gif
Love it! New ground here! Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm bein edified!

Bleyseng
Heck, I like looking at pics of RustyWa ole car. Can't say I am edified...what the heck is that?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 1 2006, 01:26 AM) *

Heck, I like looking at pics of RustyWa ole car. Can't say I am edified...what the heck is that?

Means I learned something (sorry, my hillbilly slipped out)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.