Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to buy touch up paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Pretty much as the topic states.

Also, I have lots of little chips and nicks, so I am looking for techniques to blend in the touch up so it looks good from about 5-10 feet away.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!!
ejm
http://www.paintscratch.com/
BigDBass
popcorn[1].gif
draperjojo
I just went to the local auto paint supply store and gave them my paint code and they mixed a pint up for me while I waited.
Aaron Cox
joe...
I think i know where you can get some for your car...

dunn edwards and sherwin williams have you covered LOL
KaptKaos
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 18 2006, 06:56 PM) *

Been there. Unfortunately, no Phoenix Red is listed. Should I call them?
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 18 2006, 08:17 PM) *

joe...
I think i know where you can get some for your car...

dunn edwards and sherwin williams have you covered LOL

Don't be bitter. You can make a better comeback than that. beerchug.gif
GWN7
http://www.krylon.com/

Win a trip to Hawaii at the same time smile.gif
ejm
Unfortunately, no Phoenix Red is listed. Should I call them?

check again.. wink.gif they have a form to order colors not listed
pfierb
QUOTE(ejm @ Jun 18 2006, 09:56 PM) *

Got a tube of their touch-up paint for my Zambezi green 73 914 and the match was perfect and it is very easy to use.They send you a test sheet of glossy paper to try the color on and then hold next to your car if you are not satisfied they will take the paint back.
BigDBass

Has anyone used their "Mar-Hyde One-Step Rust Converter" compared to POR-15? I wonder if their paints would work with POR-15.
BigDBass

I must be blind cuz I can't find that page with L65k
pfierb
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 19 2006, 09:14 AM) *

I must be blind cuz I can't find that page with L65k

It's there just type in 73 porsche and the color chart will come up with the color chip and paint code.
pfierb
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 19 2006, 09:08 AM) *

Has anyone used their "Mar-Hyde One-Step Rust Converter" compared to POR-15? I wonder if their paints would work with POR-15.

Mar-Hyde is a Bondo product not Paint-Scratch maybe you are looking in the wrong website
BigDBass

It's there just type in 73 porsche and the color chart will come up with the color chip and paint code.

Thanks Paul, I found it. They don't show the color for 74 for some reason.

Mar-Hyde is a Bondo product not Paint-Scratch maybe you are looking in the wrong website

Hmm, they say "Follow this with Mar-Hyde One-Step Rust Converter (sold on our site) and apply this to the bare metal." on the spraycan directions page. Have you used it with POR-15? I suppose I could just ask the company.
pfierb
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Jun 19 2006, 09:51 AM) *

Thanks Paul, I found it. They don't show the color for 74 for some reason.

Hmm, they say "Follow this with Mar-Hyde One-Step Rust Converter (sold on our site) and apply this to the bare metal." on the spraycan directions page. Have you used it with POR-15? I suppose I could just ask the company.

Never tried it,Por-15 is great but for little touch ups it is a pain to open and close the can....I always seem to find the lid is stuck no matter how careful I am.
type11969
Slight hijack, anyone know how to figure out what color code paint I have on my car (non-stock color)? Or, where can I go to get this done? I'd love to grab some touch up paint, but I have no idea what the exact color is, and the place where I got it painted closed a while ago.

Thanks,

Chris
BigDBass
Chris, you can take your car (or more conveniently just a piece like the headlight bucket!) to any number of places (Carquest was suggested to me) and they can do a match to your color.
type11969
Do they just match it visually, or do they analyze it with a machine? Do you know if any FLAPS can do that, or does carquest specialize in paint matching? Thanks for the suggestion!

-Chris
BigDBass
Computerized analysis. I'd call around to FLAPS or body shops and see who can do it. I'm sure one of them will at least refer you to the right place.
sarivers2001
Surfing around this site, I have found that a number of members have recommended “Dr. Color Chip” touch up paint and similar products, although those tended to be quite a bit older posts. (I’m still learning how to more effectively search this site for topics.)

My car generally has quite beautiful original paint, and from 20 feet, it still looks great. Of course, when you get really close, it has some chips, especially in the front where you’d expect.

I am debating whether to try filling in some of the bigger of the chips with touch paint, but I have never worked with touch up paint before, and I am concerned about screwing this up and putting little “zits” on the car. (I do know that I should first find some hidden spot on the car to test the paint color to ensure it’s the correct color.)

Any recommendations re: Dr. Color Chip? Any alternative products? Any advice about how to properly use touch up paint to in fill chips and then properly blend them in with the surrounding paint?

Many thanks in advance!
Steven
Steve
I’ve used these guys over the years.. https://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-...AiAAEgIcUPD_BwE
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 24 2023, 09:28 AM) *

I’m at three weeks now waiting for paint from these guys
EvilOlderBrother
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 24 2023, 12:28 PM) *

Used them multiple times with good results. They custom blend when ordered so you will have to wait a while to get it. If you have a Wesco paint shop anywhere near, take a section of the existing car (headlight bucket etc) into them and they will custom match it. I did this on a '69 MGB and the match was perfect. Then go to Ammo NYC and look at his video of chip touch ups. Not that hard but it takes practice.
Bullethead
agree.gif Have also used TouchUpDirect.com, both companies are fast and provide accurate color matches. Being able to get product in several formats is useful, from touch-up pens to two pack paint, but rattle cans are the most convenient.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.