Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 Style roof
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Crashdummy
I've searched for some time now, and have found nothing. Where can I find a top like this, without the vinyl?

Click to view attachment
jd74914
Thats just a smoothed roof (using bondo or something). In that track car its probably just a skin tho thats smooth.

916 had steel tops that were welded on, making them true GT style cars smile.gif
Aaron Cox
i have a smooth roof. have your body guy sand it down... (no bondo james)

and yes... 916's had steel welded in tops.....

pics of my roof in my blog...
East coaster
Sanded down the stock top. It took a bit of filler to get nice and straight. It amazing how far off they can be when covered with black textured crap and you never see it. As soon as you block sand it you can see how far out it is right from the factory.

Click to view attachment
Crashdummy
Can you do that for the roll bar and get the clean look there too? Oh, and thanks for the lightning fast answers. Oh, and I know all about 916s, no worries there. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
the vinyl just comes off the roll bar..... it is a piece of vinyl cloth glued on....

just sand it and paint it....
Crashdummy
Yes! Good, my first car is going to be so fun. Thanks again.
GWN7
QUOTE(Crashdummy @ Jun 18 2006, 08:46 PM) *

Yes! Good, my first car is going to be so fun. Thanks again.

hahahahaha....famous last words biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Crashdummy @ Jun 19 2006, 05:42 AM) *

... Oh, and I know all about 916s ...

would you mind telling me? boldblue.gif
unfortunately I just know a little bit about 'em unsure.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Chris Pincetich
welcome.png
Mueller
what a tease....that's just a boring smooth 914 roof dry.gif biggrin.gif

I'd like to find a real weldable steel roof, as would a few other people I know...hmmm, wonder if it's listed in the PET??
John
hmmm, wonder if it's listed in the PET??

I looked and couldn't find it....

I thought about making one once, but why make a 914 coupe?? A big portion of the appeal of a 914 to me is the removable top.
Gustl
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 19 2006, 09:18 AM) *

I'd like to find a real weldable steel roof, as would a few other people I know...hmmm, wonder if it's listed in the PET??

the factory doesn't have any more 916 roofs left ... wink.gif

once I heared a rumor that the roof of an old Audi 100 (I think in the States it has a different name, like 4000 or so?) would fit quite good - only little adaption necessary

another guy modified a rear trunk lid to make a 916 roof of it and that worked fine for him - unfortunately I don't know this guy and don't have any further infos ...

wavey.gif Gustl
davep
I'd love to see the 916 parts manual. drooley.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ Jun 19 2006, 04:28 PM) *

I'd love to see the 916 parts manual. drooley.gif

me too biggrin.gif

but seriously - there was always a rumour that Porsche made some factory photos and prepared some sales brochures - especially for th US market - just before they quit the project
I'd really love to see this stuff - if it exists ...

wavey.gif Gustl
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jun 19 2006, 12:31 AM) *

...I thought about making one once, but why make a 914 coupe?? A big portion of the appeal of a 914 to me is the removable top.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
davep
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jun 18 2006, 11:31 PM) *

I thought about making one once, but why make a 914 coupe?

You'll be making an ultra rare 916, well sorta anyway. happy11.gif
Mueller
driving with the top off is a rarity for me, but yea, you'd have to be pretty well committed to the idea as soon as you start welding, not too easy to go back welder.gif
Aaron Cox
think of the rigidity you gain..... without a cage...

bet it would look super trick!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jun 19 2006, 12:31 AM) *

I looked and couldn't find it....

I thought about making one once, but why make a 914 coupe?? A big portion of the appeal of a 914 to me is the removable top.

The 4000 didn't arrive on the market until several years AFTER the 916s were produced. Had to be the 100LS or the FOX. The Cap'n
zymurgist
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jun 19 2006, 03:31 AM) *

Me too... I miss Babydoll since she went home. Now I have to drive around in a long hood 911 no-sunroof coupe with 190 horsepower at the wheels. (Poor, poor pitiful me.)

But it is awful hot in that car, really.
ein 6er
quoted from this old thread ...........

"QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 27 2004, 01:19 PM)
Anyone know if the steel roof panel could have been purchased at one time or another to "convert" a targa topped car to a solid roof ??

no. but i do know that the company that used to make the stamps for the porsche prototypes still has all the old stamps on a shelf.

soooo, with enough $$$ you could make yourself a *real* 916 steel roof ...
Andy"

group buy!!! rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.