Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion Bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I have a used set of 21mm torsion bars I'm installing. The drivers side went in with a little 'help', which I understand is common in older, aftermarket bars. The passenger side will not go in at all. I cleaned the bars up and a quick glance shows they are OK. But further inspection shows that the cap will only go on the side it came off off. It will not go on the forward part (as in front of car - as a test).

It's late and I'm tired... Any ideas?

-Aaron
Mueller
You must have some burrs, if the cap only goes on the one side....I'd get a small triangle shaped file and clean up the splines
yeahmag
Great idea! Sounds like a trip to Harbor Freight is in order.

-Aaron
DanT
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 19 2006, 12:39 AM) *

You must have some burrs, if the cap only goes on the one side....I'd get a small triangle shaped file and clean up the splines

agree.gif

I had to do that with my brand new ones. Chased all the splines with a small triangular file and then the slipped in with no problem....make sure you have plenty of grease/lube on the splines when trying to install.

Might even try to chase the splines on the cap as well. To make sure everything is nice and clean and straight. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
word.... i had to touch up my 22's....

and yes. use mucho grease.. and also put a film of grease on the bar itself.... keeps em from rusting.....
yeahmag
I think I have success! A quick trip to Harbor Freight for some files and an hour or so of filing with a triangle shaped file and it fits pretty well. A touch snug I'd say, but I was fitting the end cap to either side as a test without any grease.

While I was at it I cleaned the bar up and painted it (taping off the ends) with Rustoleom Industrial Paint. Good stuff...

Thanks to all for the help. I'll probably try and fit the bar tonight.

BTW: How do people tend to set the end caps with the car up on jack stands? Ear towards the top of the car I assume since the adjuster wants to pull it down?

Thanks again.

-Aaron
Bleyseng
Hey great! Thats better than when Olav bought some new Tbars and Brad R couldn't get them installed. Hehe, I snapped them up as you can't pound in 4 Tbars into a six A arm.
yeahmag
Success! Thanks for the help.

-Aaron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.