Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BAD WEEKEND-BROKE?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914addict
headbang.gif 76-2.0 WENT TO MOVE CAR LAST NIGHT, TURNED KEY AND HEARD A GEAR TYPE CRUNCH? (STARTER ON FLYWHEEL) FOLLOWED BY TURNING KEY TO NOTHING (NO CLICK - NOTHING) NEEDED TO MOVE CAR SO PUSHED CAR BACKWARDS AND POPPED CLUTCH, AND CAR STOPPED IMEDIATELY (DID NOT TURN ENGINE OVER AT ALL) CLUTCH SEEMS TO BE WORKING, TRANS SEEMS TO SHIFT INTO ALL GEARS.
WILL BE LATER THIS WEEK BEFORE I CAN PULL TRANS AND TRY AND FIGURE PROB. OUT. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS.... FLYWHEEL?
THANKS
GLENN
Trekkor
first, welcome.

Fuel injected or carbs?

Possible hydro-lock.

Remove the spark plugs and see if it will crank.

KT
rhodyguy
put it in the air, pull the spark plugs, put it in gear, and see if you can turn the engine over with one of the wheels.

k
Cap'n Krusty
Carbs or FI? Engine could be flooded and hydrolocked, or it could be seized for some other reason. If the car will move out of gear, but not in gear, then it's probably not the trans. As the problem occured with the clutch depressed, or at least the trans out of gear, it doesn't sound like you need to pull the trans. The starter could be the culprit, but it would be unusual for the drive pinion to be out and frozen.. if it's hydrolocked, you can put it in 5th and push the car backwards, slowly. That will let the gasoline into the exhaust. Once the engine is emptied of gasoline, you can crank it over and get on with the repairs. If you have carbs, look for a stuck float. if you have FI, this wouldn't have happened and you'll have to look elsewhere. The Cap'n
john rogers
Since the started seems to start to turn the engine from what you said, if it were me I'd pull the starter before anything else.
914addict
Thanks for the input guys... will definately pull starter first
it will be a couple of days before I can get back on it, but will let you know THANKS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.