Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need metal guidance (cowl seams)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I have a 1.7 that is all laid out in pieces for a redo.

I am having the cowl seams welded up, and my problem is not understanding what all that joint has going on.

From the door jamb, it looks like the rust line is deep in there, what do you think should be done to make sure that is fixed?.

It's not cakey rust, it's just a line that continues down between the metal parts that meet there.

Thanks, I've never done anything like this before, I am scared I'll go overboard, or not far enough.

It's the not knowing.

Miles
sj914
Can you show a pic?
redshift
I could try, it's 2 hours away.

=|

M
sj914
Well, you can always use a steel wire brush on a drill and see if it gets the rust out. Or you could just bite the bullet and pull the fender off. Without a pic I can't tell if its the same spot I'm thinking of.
redshift
in front of the windshield, the seams for the fenders, meeting the cowl, has the plastic seal in it.

If you look at it from the door jamb, you can see where the seam continues where the material is folded over, there is a place that is only wide enough for warer molecules to get, you can't see into it, it's a line of rust between the panels.

Make sense?

M
sj914
Oh, ok I know what your talkin about now. Thats a tough one. Like I said you can always pull the fender off to get to the area. Since you are going to have it welded up anyway, why not go the extra mile in getting the rust out.
redshift
I wanted a different answer.. you are supposed to pick up on that, and tell me what I want to hear. That sounds like a pain in the asp, my snake is going to be furious.

smile.gif

Thanks... damnit.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.