Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dizzy not fireing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
I decided today to try the electronic ignition.. Well like before, It is making spark (very good spark might I add) from the coil. But it isnt making spark from the dizzy. Anyone have any ideas? I have changed the cap and rotor, and I have tryed a new cap and rotor. FI engine, anything particular about a FI engine with Electronic ignition?

Thanks!

Andrew
dan10101
To clarify a bit.
We're getting a good hot spark from the coil wire. 4 times per revolution. But there is nothing coming out of the plug wires. The engine doesn't even try to fire. The cap and rotor were the same ones we used with the point distributor. But we changed them anyway.

Do we have wierd problems or what?? smash.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Well, are all the plug wires good?

Are they connected to the proper locations?

Is the dizzy and plugs clean with wires snuggly attached? If not the spark will travel the dirt path because it is of lower electrical resistence than the open gap of the spark plug. I've seen it happen on my air-cooled and water-cooled cars.

If the old cap and rotor was good then put them back on and see what happens.
dan10101
Wires are good,
The points distributor works fine.
In fact, I'm going to throw it back in there, (just to prove it to me). He's been driving it..

Everything is clean. We're using a different dist for the electronic ignition.

Isn't there something about the rotors that the resistors need to be removed? We have both kinds, but the one that was working in the car has a resistor.

It's a puzzlement... sad.gif
dan10101
Threw the points distributor back in. Fired right up.
These are the things that make grey hair.. fall out..
Air_Cooled_Nut
You're messing up the equation with too many variables!

If the points dizzy works then leave it in and just swap out the mechanical points for the electronic unit.

Also, when you installed the electronic points dizzy did you adjust the timing?
Andyrew
yes we adjusted the timing.

Andrew
dan10101
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Oct 2 2003, 08:44 PM)
If the points dizzy works then leave it in and just swap out the mechanical points for the electronic unit.

I know. But I HATE adjusting points. With a passion. So I figured I would just drop the points dist back in as a fallback.

It's mechanical... Either it goes around or it doesn't... And the coil wire is making lots of spark, so we know the light plane is being broken for the pickup. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm going to try to bench test it somehow. If I can keep from getting zapped...
rhodyguy
hooking up a dwell meter takes about 10 seconds. i remove the engine cover to adjust points. why fight it? what type of points replacement system did you use?

kevin
Andyrew
Crane 700
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(dan10101 @ Oct 2 2003, 09:46 PM)
I know. But I HATE adjusting points. With a passion. So I figured I would just drop the points dist back in as a fallback.

It's mechanical... Either it goes around or it doesn't... And the coil wire is making lots of spark, so we know the light plane is being broken for the pickup. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm going to try to bench test it somehow. If I can keep from getting zapped...

I hear ya! That's why I put the Compufire unit in my last 914. When I replace my dizzy on my current 914 it will get the Compufire.

This is a head scratcher. Yes, if the coil is firing regularly then the unit is working.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.