Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Engine progress as of today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
This is where I'm at so far. Got the valve train mocked up and the stock pushrods are too long. Probably longer cam followers and a bit more lift on the #73 cam vs. stock. I'll deal with that on the weekend.

I did manage to pickup some Bus hydraulic solid spacers for the rocker assy. That will make me feel a heck of a lot better than with springs.

Back to the 911 adjusters. I've got lash caps, but no room for them, if I use them at all. From what I've read, the gap on this setup can be pretty tight. We'll see how it goes.

Oh yeah, and I did pick up that '74 Aubergine (Eggplant) this week. Drives and everything. I'll post some pics on the weekend. What a pretty color for this car. Needs a wet sand and buff out. aktion035.gif
swood
tres mas...
swood
dos mas...

need to pick up a taco plate, oil temp sender and gauge. And then figure out how to hook'em up.
swood
uno mas...
redshift
Can't wait to see the car, I love that color so much.

M
sj914
Engines lookin good.
swood
well, here's all I got of the Eggplant.

hmmm...can't post a pic here...
swood
here
swood
How about multiple images, Brad?!!!
swood
This car NEEDS a hot 2270, carbed with a triad. No doubt about it!
redshift
That car is raked like my black one..

I like it, polish it, and I'll get your money back, and kick in a little for your time.

smile.gif

M
sj914
That sure is a sweet lookin color.
Bleyseng
I can't believe you got the eggplant car, way to go!!

Geoff
Eric Taylor
that's gona be one heck of a ride when done.
Eric
swood
I havent had a lot of time this week yet to give it a once over, but theres a few immediate likes/dislikes.

Like: color
color
polished fuchs (5 of em)
new meats
color
SS HE's
911 arms/front
turbo tie rods
momo wheel
vdo clock (j/k)
color
bursch muffler (kinda sorta. better than stock right?)
It runs!
Tight shifting
STOCK EGGPLANT COLOR
no floor tar, totally clean.
went for a hot run, and 2 days later only 2 dime size drops of oil (below the cooler) not too bad

Dislike:
stupid center console, no room for my feet, and they're not big!?
broken drivers seat rail (makes cornering real interesting)
been sitting 2 years, doesnt run too strong.
brake rotors carved into like the grand canyon
have to e-brake and down shift to stop ohmy.gif
a bit of body rust, but not chronic there
engine shelf is toast, especially under battery. I'll have to pull some stuff out to check that long. Maybe toast. I'd hate to have a chop party because of this
Drive train kind of floats around there (bad mounts)
fuel pump and filter in the rear (I think). Have to relocate it.

Is that enough of a summary for now? I'll post pics on the weekend.

Did I mention the color is the shiznit?!! mueba.gif mueba.gif
Mueller
need to pick up a taco plate, oil temp sender and gauge. And then figure out how to hook'em up

If you cannot find one and can a wait a few weeks:
swood
Mike, Will it be purple? Not sure that it will match a green car! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ok, that wasn't funny. Is that like Zekes billet proto?
PP has stock repro plates for 6 bucks. What's the advantage? and cost?
Mueller
No purple parts !!! smile.gif

So Pelican does have replacement sumps???

I couldn't find them on thier site....not that that means anything, LOL

Yes, it's Zekes original design, I'm just fine tuning it for him (and me)

Not sure on cost, but it sure won't be as cheap as 6 bucks !!!!!

Advantage: Guaranteed not to warp or bend if tightened too tight......
swood
Yeah, I asked and Stromberg sent me the part # and price... 6 bucks. Let me know what you come up with. I may be interested.
Charles Deutsch
Love that first picture. Were you the guy having problems fitting your new pistons to your bored out cylinders? If so, how did you fix the problem?
ChrisReale
What did you have to do to use the 911 adjusters?
Bleyseng
You need a set of early 8mm rocker arms. Mill off about .60 of the face of the rocker so the swivel has room to move around and so the rockers will fit back in. Check the geometry after you install and shim to adjust or cut the pushrods.

I set the valve clearance at .005 as there is alittle slop in the swivel foot. If I set it to .008 the valves are just too damn noisey!

Why Chris? You want a set of early rockers? I have one set left.

Geoff
swood
I had my stock '75 rockers, then they got tossed when the heads were done. Now I don't know what I've got other than they are for an 8mm adjuster. How can you tell early/late?

Good Idea about milling them. It seems like I'm 3/8" too far out. The rocker assy doesnt even rest on the head. And the adjusters have no free play.
Jake Raby
Looks like you need another try at the valve train geometry. Are you TRYING to use a stock pushrod??? The web 73 is a mild cam, but one of the harder ones to gain full lift from and maintain proper half lift parameters to keep the valvetrain alive.

You will need to deck the face of your rockers .060, grab an adjustable pushrod and start doing the process. I did a build up with VW Trends last year and showed this in an entire article one month, step by step on a TIV engine. Should be informative for you.
Bleyseng
Early rockers are 8mm
Late rockers are 10mm

If you are using the 911 swivel feet (only use the real Porsche ones) then you have to mill the rockers to make room for the ball feet.
thesey914
Yeah looking at your studs for the rocker assembly the 7mm nuts are only just hanging on.....I think I ground off 1/8 " to make them fit plus a .40mm spacer to make mine fit.

Bleyseng wrote -I set the valve clearance at .005 as there is a little slop in the swivel foot. If I set it to .008 the valves are just too damn noisy!

Good plan -I'll try that as I expected mine to be a lot quieter
porsche735
Also, not sure if it is just from a mock up, but your studs are not sticking out far enough. You need to have some thread past the nuts holding your rocker arm assemblies.

Chris
porsche735
Looks like J. Seymore and my messages crossed in the Ether. Same point....

Chris
Tom Perso
As a BTDT view, take my advice.

Dump the 7mm rocker studs, call up FAT and get a set of 8mm ones. They are longer and use 8x1.25 thread, so you can get a set of T1 head nuts and cinch them down.

Do it before you fire it up.

Later,
Tom
swood
Hey guys, just mocking it up to see where I'm at. I don't mind the criticism, btw. Yeah I've got stock pushrods. Didn't know what the big deal was with using them. What should I use?

I think that removing material from the rocker arm will help plus a bit of a shim.

I see that use of an adjustable rod will help figure out what the final rod length needs to be.

Is replacing the 7mm rocker stud w/8mm that big of a deal?

Thanks for the valuable second, third and 12th opinions. It's just what I need right now.

The 911 adjusters are from Porsche.

Steve
swood
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 3 2003, 06:48 AM)

I did a build up with VW Trends last year and showed this in an entire article one month, step by step on a TIV engine. Should be informative for you.

Anyone have a copy of this they could lend/post?
MarkV
This article might help ? http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0207vwt_be...ater/index.html
swood
QUOTE(swood @ Oct 2 2003, 09:11 PM)
Yeah, I asked and Stromberg sent me the part # and price... 6 bucks. Let me know what you come up with. I may be interested.

PP Part#021-101-267 $ 5.50
swood
I drove the Eggplant as hard as I could over the weekend (just in our neighborhood since it's got no current tags, or functioning brakes).

There is also no seal between the edge of the engine shelf and tin. In some areas no shelf either. No wonder it got so hot, it can't cool right. And it was about 150 degrees in the cockpit, no wonder. With no proper cooling, it shouldn't be driven. So, I'll just park it for a while. I took a bunch of pictures this weekend, so I'll try and post them later.
Jeff Bonanno
no cooling - it shouldn't be driven? how 'bout no brakes - it shouldn't be driven?!

(ask me how i know...)

a vehicle does not need to look good, start, idle, rev, run, . it only needs to stop.

(wait, don't ask)

jbb ph34r.gif
swood
QUOTE(Jeff Bonanno @ Oct 7 2003, 12:40 AM)
no cooling - it shouldn't be driven? how 'bout no brakes - it shouldn't be driven?!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Good one. Haven't you ever had one of those moods, where little details like non functioning brakes doesnt stop you from hitting the street? Maybe it was in part due to the BBS being down. Someone once said, Log off and drive. So i did. mueba.gif
Jeff Bonanno
yah - once. it landed me in jail! w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.