Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engines that sat for long periods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Finally last night the biggest mystery of my engine was solved... All the credit for that goes to Martin Baker (NorthBay914).

I bought the car 1 and 1/2 years ago from an estate sale. The car was originally purchased at Sierra Porsche Audi in Riverside California. The original owner drove it for 5 years and then kept it as part of a "static desplay" in his car collection. The odometer showed 77,500 miles. The last plate was stickered in 1980. So you can imagine that when I started it, everything that could leak, did. Thank goodness it isn't watercooled! One less fluid to worry about.

Martin resealed the motor last year and it has virtually no leaks. You can kill it by covering the throttle body. But, nagging poor running and poor power issues lingered.

Martin has been tuning and tweaking for weeks, maybe even months. Things get better but not great. We had many discussions and were focusing on it as a DJet issue. As it turns out we were partially right but wrong as well...

The car would start and run like stromberg.gif a steaming pile of Stromberg until it warmed up. Then, once it warmed it had poor throttle response and seemed down on power. It seemed to be burning fuel in the exchangers as lots of heat was coming out from under the car but the temp gauge was pretty much normal for what you would expect. Nothing Martin would do would correct this and he had begun to utter words of hate toward my 914. Those of you who know Martin will understand that he so loves the 914 that these utterances were blasphemous in his religion. I was concerned. Not just for my car but for Martin's eternal 914 soul.

Finally last night a breakthrough occured. I had purchased a couple new and expensive DJet components, a throttle position sensor, and injector points. I was only suspicious of the throttle position sensor because of the poor throttle response and the injector points were out of frustration. I had come to the point that I was going to just throw parts at the problem until it was solved. This is expensive and usually leads to people selling their car at much less than what it cost to build. Not something I would advise but it illustrates my state of mind.
So last night, Martin installed the throttle position sensor, and sure enough the response improved but the hot exchangers and the off idle hesitation continued. Suddenly, with the throttle response cleared up, it became clear to Martin that perhaps, the vacuum advance was not functioning. A quick check of this proved it was funtioning but Martin wanted to take a look at the mechanical advance plates so he pulled the distributor. What the heck! We were going to throw a set of injector points at the problem anyway right? Well, what he discovered made perfect sense considering the cars history but it illustrates how hard it can be to sort through the problems of ressurecting a car that has not been driven. Both the vacuum advance and the mechanical advance were gummed up from years of sitting. They moved, but were stiff. Martin performed a little Same Day Surgery and did a miniature rebuild on the distributor. Once this was done, and the distributor back in, we fired it and timed it. Hmmm. It ran better. The hesitation was virtually gone.

This morning, after dealing with the gal from the blind store, I took it for a drive to make sure it was not messing with us in order to dash our hopes. Nope, once warm it runs like a champ. Lots of power, pulls well.

beer.gif So Martin, this Buds for you... Thanks buddy!

Rob
grasshopper
cool, sounds great. I got mine at an estate sale also. It had been sitting since 87. Had it running in three days. BTW, your missing a lug bolt.
elwood-914
Way to go Martin! I read all of these threads just in case of a future problem....it seems you just never stop learning.
Congrats

Tim
Bleyseng
aren't those 3 bolt wheels? alfred.gif
grasshopper
Geoff, your avatar is killing me wub.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jun 19 2006, 12:52 PM) *

cool, sounds great. I got mine at an estate sale also. It had been sitting since 87. Had it running in three days. BTW, your missing a lug bolt.

OMG! They cheated me out of a lugnut! Your kidding! Oh wait! The picture is from the day I brought it home!

I probably would have had mine running well in three days too, if it had been LJet. Much simpler injection system. But then I would have had a 1.8 barf.gif
Tobra
Did it have those wheels or the Fuchs on it when you got it? Wait a minute, how many silver 914's do you have? Your one I saw on Sunday had different bumpers.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jun 19 2006, 02:57 PM) *

I probably would have had mine running well in three days too, if it had been LJet. Much simpler injection system. But then I would have had a 1.8 barf.gif

Yeah right! finding out the advance is gummed up was lucky. Both Djet and Ljet can be difficult to sort out the small problems and tune right.

clap56.gif

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tobra @ Jun 19 2006, 11:49 PM) *

Did it have those wheels or the Fuchs on it when you got it? Wait a minute, how many silver 914's do you have? Your one I saw on Sunday had different bumpers.

Toby,

Bumper backdate is about 3 months ago I guess. That picture was taken the day I got it. I pulled it off the truck and into the driveway, washed it and after having lunch I snapped a pic or two. Those black bumpers that were on it are near perfect by the way... They would be great for someone who wants to keep that look. Fuchs were probably the second thing I did after washing it... Those are Trekkors autocross wheels now...

For now, I just have the one. I am in search of a six though... There was a point at which John Webster was going to sell the white one from Sunday to me but he decided to keep it.

My car won second in the competition class by the way. Did you take pictures? Post one here if you did...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 20 2006, 05:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Jun 19 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Yeah right! finding out the advance is gummed up was lucky. Both Djet and Ljet can be difficult to sort out the small problems and tune right.

clap56.gif

I think LJet is easier to understand. In fact there was a time that I had a website called PlanetZ that had how to instructions for making a larger AFM work by soldering the circuit board from the OEM AFM into the larger AFM body. It also had instructions for making a variable resistor to put inline between the cylinder head temperature sensor and the harness. I pulled it down a long time ago because I got so many questions from people and didn't have time to answer them.
In LJet the distributor is not involved with the injection system directly. In my opinion, at least back then because I have not been near LJet in quite some time, if the car was not running right you should eliminate all other possible causes before approaching the LJet as a suspect.
With my very limited time with DJet, it seems that you can almost accuse it from the start.
My understanding is that you are one of the experts on DJet. I have a MPS that needs rebuilding I think. Holds some vacuum but not for long enough. I have been meaning to contact you about that. You are the one who rebuilds and recalibrates them correct?
Actually, the distributor was, and may still go to Rich Bontempi for a rebuild.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.