Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
Good news, it's somewhat consistently leaking about 1qt of oil per tank of gas. At least its consistent and I know what to expect...

Bad news, the oil splatter gets all over the rear of the car and makes everything on the underside from where the Engine/Tranny connect and behind an oily mess. Also,
this leak causes some minor smoke (from the oil burning off the exhaust and heat exchangers) and gets into the cabin when using the heat. Sure these are not show stoppers but after a 4hr drive my fiance is much less willing to have that burnt oily scent eminating from her person...

THE DETAILS:

Leak is not coming from the oil cooler (that area is dry/normal engine corrosion). Ditto for the valve covers. Push rod tubes get a little bit of oil on them but only toward the rear of the car and I think it is due to the splatter from the real leak which I believe is the main crankcase seal (I have a drop of oil that always builds up where the engine & tranny mate up).

Question, has anyone else dealt with this type of leak and fixed it? Can a new crankcase seal be installed by removing only the tranny (and exhaust)? Are there other possible areas of leaks? Topside engine compartment is pretty clean, fyi...
ejm
but after a 4hr drive my fiance is much less willing to have that burnt oily scent eminating from her person

offer to take a shower with her happy11.gif

Can a new crankcase seal be installed by removing only the tranny (and exhaust)

Yes .. if you're leaking a quart in 4-500 miles you should be able to see where it drips from by letting it idle for a while
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.