Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '75 914...worth buying for AX?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
I'm checking out a '75 that looks pretty clean from the pictures. What I want to know from AX veterans is what drawbacks, if any, would this model year pose for autocrossing. I've heard that the bumpers are heavy, but is there anything about the engine or suspension that would be less suitable in the stock form. Price is not bad at a grand.
Also, the owner calls it a rare euro model. What would that be?
Thanks for the help.
Mueller
do you want have fun or take TTOD??

if just for fun, nothing wrong with it as is......to get better performance you could do the following:

replace the junk '75/'76 exhaust with an earlier exhaust (or better yet, header)

replace the bumpers with earlier bumpers

replace doors with pre-73(?) doors

if searching for TTOD, be willing to spend tons of cash, racing tires/slicks will be needed for sure burnout.gif

nowadays the important thing is how structually sound the chassis is, who cares what year it is, the "better" parts all bolt on and pretty much everything is backyards compatible....(at least it's not a '76 that you'd have to get smogged)
scrz914
It would definitely be just for fun. However, part of the fun is in the improvements you can make, right? Headers, slicks, lighter bumpers...yes, for sure. I would do that. I guess if the chassis and motor are good, this would work well enough for AX.
As far as 2.0 motors are concerned, is a 75 as good as a 73/74? Assuming it's in good shape.
DanT
I believe they have lower compression, not sure.
Definitely has smog pump (air injector), and crappy exhaust if still stock.
As Mike says, at least it does not need to be smogged and you can mod it without worry.

Many folks have these and Ax them just fine....might take a little more work to get real competitive VS an earlier car with 2.0L engine.

sounds to me like you should get this car and start transferring parts from that earlier car you have (had?). biggrin.gif

If it is a solid car it is worth more than a grand just in parts blink.gif
scrz914
Dan, I sold that car and have been looking for another one ever since. There's lots for sale right now, but there's always two or three guys ahead of me with their wallets open.
I do have lots of early 914 parts tho' which I could use. If only I still had those rims I sold you biggrin.gif .
scrz914
Crap, car just sold. Lost out on another one. headbang.gif
chilli
Sorry about sold, but in Calif would still need to smog each year, that is if you keep licensed.
mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.