Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Starvation Issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I know it's bound to happen. I've got an oem tank in my 1975. With any less than ¾ a tank full of gas, I seem to get fuel starvation issues after entering a very hard right turn. I know there are companies that make accusumps for oil systems, is there such a thing for fuel systems? What am I looking at cost-wise for a baffled tank that has near-stock capacity and will fit in the normal tank location? Modify a stock tank somehow?

Budget is somewhere around $0, but I am posting to get ideas and suggestions for the near future.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 19 2006, 07:02 PM) *

I know it's bound to happen. I've got an oem tank in my 1975. With any less than ¾ a tank full of gas, I seem to get fuel starvation issues after entering a very hard right turn. I know there are companies that make accusumps for oil systems, is there such a thing for fuel systems? What am I looking at cost-wise for a baffled tank that has near-stock capacity and will fit in the normal tank location? Modify a stock tank somehow?

Budget is somewhere around $0, but I am posting to get ideas and suggestions for the near future.

There's a "sump" inside the tank. Kinda like a windage tray. Shouldn't be a problem until the tank is nearly empty. Your problem lies somewhere else. Check the FI wiring. The Cap'n
SLITS
The stock tank has a baffle in it....one big vertical one. Iffin the "green/blue/bondo rocket" is pulling that many "g's" in an autocross, I would check the door handles for asphalt scrapes. new_shocked.gif
Heeltoe914
Check the lines to the tank do you have them switched? Change fuel filter ASAP. Maybe moving dirt around in filter.
Brando
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2006, 07:05 PM) *

There's a "sump" inside the tank. Kinda like a windage tray. Shouldn't be a problem until the tank is nearly empty. Your problem lies somewhere else. Check the FI wiring. The Cap'n

FI Wiring is gúd, went through when doing my tuneup, checked connections, repaired any breaking wires, etc. I should have mentioned in said large right turns, the reserve light will come on as all the fuel in the tank is going away from the little baffle, sump, whichever you wanna call it.

I guess only other option is to keep running with a full tank? :\
Cap'n Krusty
The baffle has been known to come adrift inside the tank. Might wanna take a look in there ................ The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
pull the cap and peak down there.... with a flashlight (not a match LOL)

you should see a cofee can looking thing down at the bottom by the pickup.......

AA
lapuwali
If the low fuel light is coming on at anything less than 1/4 even in high-G turns, something is wrong. I'll agree that the baffle has come loose, or the fuel level sender has gone wrong and you're not really filling the tank.

On my car (intact baffle, cleaned tank, good fuel sender), the light will blink on in long hard right-handers (like a freeway ramp) below 1/4 tank, but not above it. It won't stay lit when going straight until I'm down to R on the gauge. With the accordion-nozzle emissions thingies at the gas pump, if I let the nozzle hang the whole way into the tank, it usually shuts off at 2/3 to 3/4 tank, not full. If you're only getting 2/3 and your fuel level sender is hanging up in the tube (a common failure mode), you may actually have a lot less gas in the car than you think.

I also don't get fuel starvation in hard turns unless the tank is really empty. Look in the tank and see if the top of the baffle is exposed. You're below 2 gallons at that point.

btw, if the fuel lines on the EFI are switched, it won't run at all. Zero fuel pressure, as the fuel won't flow through the regulator backwards, it will just return to the tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.