Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Temps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
After driving around for a while I hand checked temps at the dip stick, intake plenum and runners. It was really hot, barely touchable. Is that normal?

My head temps range from 320 up to 360 going up a hill at 4000rpm. Warmed 2.0 with megasquirt. AFR on load around 12~13.

Intake temps reached almost 100 in my PVC intake with a K&N filter. No rain tray.

Right now I have a 4-2-1 header to a Magnaflow with no tail pipe. So all the exhaust is exiting under the car. Could this be my issue?

Thanks
lapuwali
Those head temps are very good. Mark Henry noted intake air temps on his SDS equipped engine of 50dC, so 100dF is not too hot at all. 135dF has been noted in many cases as typical engine bay temps on the 914, esp. towards the rear of the bay. The front of the bay is often much cooler (farther from the exhaust).
crash914
Yarin,

For what its worth...I run around 300-325 at cruise. Push 350 when loaded like flooring it in 5th.

oil temps go up close to 250. different motor, but it sounds like you are in the ballpark.
DNHunt
Those temps sound about right to me.

Dave
Mark Henry
Sounds good!

Now… toss that rain tray back in and see what happens!

And the tail pipe….

BTW you’re in the right engine temp zone when you can slowly(2-3sec) pass the dipstick back and forth without burning you fingers. (That’s the old school method)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.