Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Glass cleaning tips needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
GaroldShaffer
I just can't do it. I clean and clean and clean and still I have streak marks on the windshield. I have the same problems when cleaning windows at home, they look clean until the sun hits them the right way then icon8.gif My eyes must be really bad because it looks like my 4yr old clean them. I use windex and paper towel. So what do you guys do / use?

Help :sniff: sad.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
I use an extremely weak solution of dishwashing liquid and water. When cleaning, one surface(i.e. inside) is cleaned and wiped vertically, and the other surface(outside) is cleaned horizontally. When you clean that way, you can then tell which side you have to do over by which way the glass is "streaked". I'm sure there are other solutions(pun not intended), that may involve ammonia, vinegar or some commercially marketed product. But the small amount of detergent in a big, clean bucket of water works for me. BTW, the "fog", "haze", or "film" on your glass always comes back, no matter how old the car is, its country of origin or manufacturer.
lapuwali
A trick a 912 guy showed me was to use crumpled newspaper, not a paper towel or a cloth. There's also a cleaner called "Invisible Glass" that's supposed to help.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 20 2006, 03:03 PM) *

A trick a 912 guy showed me was to use crumpled newspaper, not a paper towel or a cloth. There's also a cleaner called "Invisible Glass" that's supposed to help.

agree.gif
I use a combintion of the two. Stoner's Invisible Glass is the best. I couple that with "brown" paper towels. Brown paper towels are made from unbleached, undyed paper. You will occasionally see brown paper towels when you visit a men's room. I first used newspaper but was always leery about having the ink smear my windows.

Porsche Rescue
Paper towels are the biggest problem. I have read that chemicals are added to increase their absorbency and those chemicals contribute to streaks. Crumpled newspaper is much better.
Not sure if this could be adapted to auto glass, but I have found a great system for home windows. Spray bottle, small amount of liquid dish detergent (one with as few additives as possible), water. Spray window, clean with a wet rag, squeegee the window dry. Quick, easy, cheap, no streaks. Way better than Windex and less work.
Pat Garvey
boldblue.gif
Here's my tip, FWIW. I use the same method for cleaning house windows & it works great, except the F'ing "protected" Canadian Geese that NEVER migrate know exactly when to target the house windows (sorry, if the huggers wouldn't run me in I'd kill everyone of those "toilets with wings")! ar15.gif

Two gallons of tap water, 3-5 drops of Ivory Liquid, 2 ounces of white vinegar. I don't use paper towels, newspaper, etc. Freshly washed terrycloth towels (no softeners), squeegee & a reserved chamois (the "real" dead deer type). Plus a rinse of distilled water.

Wash glass with mixture and terrycloth, rinse with distilled water and different terry cloth, squeegee (catch the "squeegee'ns" with paper toels at the bottom of the glass surface) - I don't do this on the house windows. Wipe dry with the reserved chamois. May not be particulary "green", & PETA may have a problem with it, but it's always worked for me & never leaves streaks. Forgot to mention - do this in the shade!

Tried using Jack Daniels once, but left too many tongue streaks on the windshield! Didn't clean all that well anyway.

tod914
Glass Plus works well.
dcheek
I can sympathize with the window cleaning problem. Paterek Brothers have suggested something that really works. It's called Wurth Zebra Finish. Not intended for windows, but will make the glass disappear! It's actually a detailing spray. I've been using it for several years now with great success. I use only old 100% cotton sheets that have been washed 100's of times with NO FABRIC SOFTENER!

If you have trouble finding Zebra Finish you can order online from:
www.carcareonline.com
Larry Reynolds is the owner and PCA member. His web sight is very informative with many great detailing products.

Dave
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 20 2006, 09:53 PM) *

I can sympathize with the window cleaning problem. Paterek Brothers have suggested something that really works. It's called Wurth Zebra Finish. Not intended for windows, but will make the glass disappear! It's actually a detailing spray. I've been using it for several years now with great success. I use only old 100% cotton sheets that have been washed 100's of times with NO FABRIC SOFTENER!

If you have trouble finding Zebra Finish you can order online from:
www.carcareonline.com
Larry Reynolds is the owner and PCA member. His web sight is very informative with many great detailing products.

Dave

clap56.gif
Dave,

Agree in part - cotton, cotton, cotton. No additives, no softeners, etc. In fact, the BEST cotton is "blood rags", or "sponges" from the medical profession - used them since the 70's. Leave not lint, dust, etc.

Don't believe ANY chemicals are needed to clean windows (acetic acid/vinegar aside). The whole world seems to bow to Paterek, but I'll stay w/Households - won me 2 Parades so far. Simple is better, IMHO.

But - to each his own. Whatever works for you.
markb
Invisible glass & a microfiber towel. I also agree, NO fabric softener sheets when drying anything to be used on the car.
Jasfsmith
Pat:

Do give Wurth Zebra Finish a try. You won't use anything else again!

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 21 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Pat:

I will try it - anything that can cut down on the time & effort is worth a shot.

Question - why is it called Zebra Finish?
tod914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 21 2006, 10:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 21 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Pat:

I will try it - anything that can cut down on the time & effort is worth a shot.

Question - why is it called Zebra Finish?

Because when applied properly, it has streaks like a zebra
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.