Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot Temps at the track this weekend for alot of us!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
For those club members going to Thunderhill this Friday it is forecasted to be 108 degrees! You'd better get there early and park until the paddock awnings or you are going to roast!

For the rest of us going to Buttonwillow this weekend, we have it cooler. Forecasted for 102 to 103 degrees Friday through Sunday. I get to test out my oil cooler system. It's big...now lets see if it's efficient.

In any event...stay hydrated folks! beer3.gif

Bill P.
DanT
Maybe Jeff Reitmeir and Jim Lane will bring their pool?

They could sell time in the pool to all those poor dehydrated Time trialers, probably could make enough to cover gass money biggrin.gif

Have a good time Bill, hope the cooler works well.
Trekkor
108? Noooooooo! headbang.gif

KT
SandyI
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jun 20 2006, 05:54 PM) *

108? Noooooooo! headbang.gif

Too bad for you guys. Streets of Willow will be a balmy 102.
Hot soup for lunch? Oh wait. Those are my tires!!!
nebreitling
ouch, that sucks... i'll be arriving at T-Hill Wed night verrrry late (got a kart race wed. night), sleeping in the camper, and then roasting in the sun all day thur... hope the new oil cooler/motul/brake ducting works!
DanT
Nathan,
Let's see a picture of the car on the new custom trailer biggrin.gif

What did you do with your cooler?
nebreitling
i'll post one -- hopefully tomorrow! i'm quite pleased with it so far, i've only pulled it empty, but it was surprisingly stable and non-jumpy. i think the suspension works quite well.

re. the cooler, i stuck it straight up front. we'll see how it goes -- i've run out of time to plumb some air exits, so i'm not expecting it to be as effective as it could be. spent the past 3 days replacing the transmission in my roommate's '99 accord (pita).

i saw you zoom by when i was at ken's! when i left, i went your direction hoping to see your car and strike up a conversation -- couldn't find you... 'nother time.

Trekkor
Let's cut some exit holes tomorrow evening.

I'll bring my hole saws if you give me the nod.

KT
nebreitling
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jun 20 2006, 11:08 PM) *

Let's cut some exit holes tomorrow evening.

I'll bring my hole saws if you give me the nod.

KT

i thought about that -- it'd be easy -- but i think i want to louver the front hood and duct the exit up... meanwhile, i don't want to put any unnecessary holes in the car... but i might bring my hole saws to the track just in case i need to improvise an exit.

what time you think you might stop by? i'm taking off from my place at 6pm, and will be working on the car straight through then...
Trekkor
I was thinking between 4:00 and 5:00.

Did you see my shroud in place?

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jun 20 2006, 12:22 PM) *

For those club members going to Thunderhill this Friday it is forecasted to be 108 degrees! You'd better get there early and park until the paddock awnings or you are going to roast!

For the rest of us going to Buttonwillow this weekend, we have it cooler. Forecasted for 102 to 103 degrees Friday through Sunday. I get to test out my oil cooler system. It's big...now lets see if it's efficient.

In any event...stay hydrated folks! beer3.gif

Bill P.

Check those forecasts again looks like its going to be a scorcher 107 to 110 in Buttonwillow over the weekend and 108 at TH Friday. Hey it could be worse last I checked Death Valley had forecast for 119.

Anyone want to borrow my air conditioned MX-5? biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Latest reports are 110° at TH.

Nathan reported oil temps of 240° at TH today running with H.O.D.
With his cooler in place.

I hope I can keep it below 230°.

I'll be wearing a soaked t-shirt during my sessions and a soaked towel over my head the rest of the time...

KT
sww914
They'll sell a lot of cool shirts on Monday.
groot
Good luck, gents, and have a blast!!!
nebreitling
It was 108 or so at Thunderhill yesterday. car does NOT like that heat... driver did okay, though!

i'm switching to synthetic oil for my next Thunderhill event.

Trekkor
More blazing heat for my track sessions today.

Oil came up to 235° at the very end of a 30 minute session.

The weather doesn't get any hotter than this. Looks like I'm dialed. clap56.gif

I may cut a bigger front air inlet, however, to get the temps down just a little more.

KT
9146R
Not sure if Buttonwillow was any hotter than Thill this weekend. 105+ for sure...paddocked next to Bill P and Greg&Tricia Braun...good neighbors and hella good drivers !
The oil cooler did it's job...car never got over 215 all day even when my son Mike and I ran back to back sessions. Discovered when we got home and removed the race tires - we corded the rear Hoosiers - BIG TIME. No wonder the car was slippery Sat pm and Sunday am. My son got a little grief from the head of paddock for spinning. He turned 2:25 the lap prior and I was able to get into the 2:18's...not bad considering the freekin heat and tire conditions. Pix of tires to follow. Dan - we tightend up the front sway bar - good call it reduced the oversteer. driving.gif
Greg W
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.