Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cigaret lighter removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikelsr
I did a quick search in the archives but I didn't see an answer to these questions.

I need to replace my cigaret lighter. How do you get it out without disassembling the dash? Does it have a nut on the back or a slide lock?

Will the replacement lighters you can get from the local parts store fit in the hole?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Elliot_Cannon
With the instruments removed from the dash you have good access to the lighter. You have to defeat two (I think) little tabs and then pull the lighter out of the dash. Installation is the reverse of removal. biggrin.gif

Cheers, Elliot
iamchappy
It has a sort of spring washer on it, when it is bent back it will slip off when released forward it locks on.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 20 2006, 01:15 PM) *

It has a sort of spring washer on it, when it is bent back it will slip off when released forward it locks on.

You're correct. I remember now. I had to destroy the damn washer to get it off.
Wish I remembered what I used to reinstall it. Short term memory ain't what is used to be.

Elliot
mikelsr
Thanks for the info. I have to put it up on jacks tonight to start changing shocks, I guess it is also a good time to fix the odometer (was going to do that last week).

Again thanks!

Mike
Mike D.
I have seen two different ones. One is just as described above, I had to break the locking washer dodad off to get it out, never put it back. My '76 had one that had a spring and retainer on the end. the retainer had three notches and went on the end and turned a bit to a recess to hold the spring.
mikelsr
Thanks Mike.
T wing
Hey, my car had a PO button that was used for blowing fuses there before, so I don't know about getting it out. But I did have one from walmart that I was going to mount elsewhere. I took out the button and the lighter socket fit like a glove. I probably have one of the only 914's that has a black plastic cover on the lighter that says 12v instead of a nifty little lighter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.