Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another Product review: Rennenmetal (dlee1967)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey guys,

Aaron here chiming in on another product review. Under the microscope this week is Rennenmetal's hella rally light mounts. These are very similar to how some of the 914-6 GT cars had their lights.

Product----
Fit and finish: 10
... all the holes in the right place... no huss no fuss, just bolted right up. they fit between the body, and the rubber dogbones.

First Impression: awesome. they have gusseting, and a gloss black powdercoat. very strong, nicely designed.

Installation time: 20 minutes or so...
all you need is a socket (13mm) and a long extension to pull the bumper off. then, use a little bit of tape to hold these to the dog bone/bumper support for ease of install. put the bolts back in and you are DONE! very simple. no issues whatsoever.

Cool factor: priceless.
these baby's rock. these brackets put the lights down and out, so you can still use stock or (pilot fogs) in addiition to these hella 500 rally lights.

Overall... another great product from david lee of rennenmetal.

the pics.
Aaron Cox
more....
Aaron Cox
last set....
Aaron Cox
very similar to these guys smile.gif

Allan
Looks like nice workmanship.

You gonna relay in the alps?
Jeroen
why did you mount them on the outside of the fogs?
Aaron Cox
because that is where they will be most effective to me. i believe the brackets allow you to mount them INBOARD and OUTBOARD, but inboard would render your stock fogs useless
campbellcj
Cool...I don't really need em right now but they will be a great item to stash in my "lighting" bin for some future project. (I have a set of factory Hella euro driving lamps in there and various auxiliary lamps including some sweet chrome H1 Hella's that were on my old 911 for a while.) Order placed.
brer
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 20 2006, 07:57 PM) *

because that is where they will be most effective to me. i believe the brackets allow you to mount them INBOARD and OUTBOARD, but inboard would render your stock fogs useless

my stock fogs seem pretty useless as it is.
very tasty.

VegasRacer
QUOTE(brer @ Jun 20 2006, 10:23 PM) *

Get some extra bright replacement bulbs and a J.West wiring kit and that will change.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jun 20 2006, 10:19 PM) *

Cool...I don't really need em right now but they will be a great item to stash in my "lighting" bin for some future project. (I have a set of factory Hella euro driving lamps in there and various auxiliary lamps including some sweet chrome H1 Hella's that were on my old 911 for a while.) Order placed.

very cool smile.gif

get some camp914 pilot lighs
Bleyseng
QUOTE(brer @ Jun 20 2006, 10:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 20 2006, 07:57 PM) *

very tasty.

Camp914 Pilotlite kits is the real deal. Real driving lites that blast lite down the road! I have a set of converted fogs to halogen bulbs and they still don't do crap.

Whats with the RedStripe White car?? What altenator is he running to power all the lites? wub.gif
r_towle
Ill drop in my two cents here...its an East Coast point of view...

My experience with the type of finish that is on those brackets is less that a happy one..
When you buy a reciever hitch, its coated with that same finish...either its powdercoated, or whatever...
It does not last more than two years..then starts to flake off due to rust...
a trailer hitch is one thing...take it off, clean it up and re-spray it..
For those brackets, the little brackets on the light, and the bolt itself...I would prefer to see stainless steel...considering its going on your porsche...not a tow vehicle..

Rich
campbellcj
Mini hijack but I saw a chance to dig out one of my fav pics from a few years back.

Click to view attachment

These were 80/100W Bosch H4's, 55W Hella H4 fogs and 100W Hella H1 driving lamps, all relayed. I still have the 6" round Hellas.

hijacked.gif
Eric_Shea
Chris, that's such a cool car. I remember following your build on that years ago.

Mine were sitting on the porch last Tuesday (thanks Dave). I'm hoping to test fit them this weekend. I'll throw the Pilots in at that time as well.

(now I need to get Aa's dad up here to do some wiring and relay'n) wink.gif
Aaron Cox
eric... when i had the car painted, i ran a 10gauge wire in the originall harness from the batt to the relay panel, kit comes with a relay, and from there, i used all the original harnesses to hide the added 2 wires....

and i use another stock fog switch. (amber and green)

AA
Joe Bob
Cool beans A-ron...too bad the car don't run. You can use them to light up the court on those midnight B-ball games....

BTW....I just did the Rennenmetal Banners....
Aaron Cox
har har geezer (you are almost 50 now smile.gif )

it runs... just dont drive till this weekend....

where is your teener????

leave me alone then LOL
Joe Bob
I have one in the garage weenie....
Aaron Cox
MR. weenie the third.... to you sir smile.gif
Eric_Shea
Would you two get a room...
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 22 2006, 01:06 PM) *

Would you two get a room...

Ewwwwww barf.gif
bob91403
I hope you got them with yellow lenses. Fog lights should be yellow to be effective. Otherwise, I consider them driving lights, because they're just as useless as your headlights in the fog. How'd you wire the switch? I bought an older used 914 foglight switch, the one with the yellow cap, and mounted it in one of the two extra dash holes to the right of the steering column. If you press on the vinyl, you can feel the two extra mounting holes. beerchug.gif
ppickerell
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 21 2006, 08:17 AM) *

Ill drop in my two cents here...its an East Coast point of view...

My experience with the type of finish that is on those brackets is less that a happy one..
When you buy a reciever hitch, its coated with that same finish...either its powdercoated, or whatever...
It does not last more than two years..then starts to flake off due to rust...
a trailer hitch is one thing...take it off, clean it up and re-spray it..
For those brackets, the little brackets on the light, and the bolt itself...I would prefer to see stainless steel...considering its going on your porsche...not a tow vehicle..

Rich

I agree, I like the various parts this guy turns out, tow hooks etc. SS would cut great with plasma! I love the look of stainless in the morning.....Black is sooooo 2005.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Jun 22 2006, 03:57 PM) *

I hope you got them with yellow lenses. Fog lights should be yellow to be effective. Otherwise, I consider them driving lights, because they're just as useless as your headlights in the fog. How'd you wire the switch? I bought an older used 914 foglight switch, the one with the yellow cap, and mounted it in one of the two extra dash holes to the right of the steering column. If you press on the vinyl, you can feel the two extra mounting holes. beerchug.gif

they are h3 driving lights.... and in the pics you can SEE they are clear smile.gif

dont need em for fogs,.. need em for mountain carving smile.gif
Joe Bob
when it runs...... piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.